• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Moving from Mild to Full

SyrLinus

Virtualized Security Geek
Right now, I classify myself as a "strength wuss" because I'm very green to cigars and have stuck with mostly mild ones. I'm curious as to how made a transition to a more fuller strength -- was it gradual or did you just get some full cigars and went ahead? ???

You can jump right in if you would like, but do so either having had a good meal beforehand, or willing to risk feeling a little queasy if it's a little too strong for you. However, be careful not to confuse full strength with full flavored.

Also, you've got nothing to prove to anyone, so don't feel pressured or obligated to eventually start smoking full bodied cigars just because the cool kids are doing it. There's a lot of great mild to medium bodied cigars out there that one could be very happy smoking indefinitely. Smoke whatever you enjoy, whether it be mild or full, Dominican or Cuban, budget or premium.

Like some of say in motorcycling, "It's that you ride." Don't matter what brand.

I used to only smoke RyJ Reserva Real and Casa Torano for the longest time and finally I did the Newbie Sampler Trade thread, located here, with denverdog and he sent me a La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chisel Maduro and the flavor was outstanding. From then on I have been searching out other full flavored smokes. The DL Maduro is a very strong cigar so I wouldn't suggest that for your first one but I would try anything Maduro...maybe a Futente 858 Maduro.

Hmmm.

I just tried a bunch of different sticks and found myself eventually moving towards fuller strength cigars because they generally have a more rewarding taste profile to me.
It is very possible to have a cigar that is a flavor bomb and not a nic bomb...
It is easy to research here which sticks are nicotine heavy, and with that knowledge avoid them until you get your tolerance up.

Nothing wrong with lighter cigars, just everybody has their own preferences.

-Rob

You may eventually find that the midler stogies will start tasting all the same in a sense...or sorta Like puffing on hot air. I would say eventually you will navigate your way to fuller smokes. I wouldnt jump into it though if I were you. There are plently on milder good smokes out there.

Matt

I used to only smoke RyJ Reserva Real

That was my cigar of choice as well.

Honestly, I think I just took the plunge one day with a La Aurora 1495. At the time it was pretty full bodied for my liking, but it immediately opened my eyes to the darker, bolder tastes a cigar can have. I'd say just eat a big meal and tackle one.

[quote name='5 O'Clock Somewhere' post='657077' date='Apr 23 2008, 04:19 PM']Honestly, I think I just took the plunge one day with a La Aurora 1495.[/quote]

I've only had one of those, but I sure did love it. Quite a nice smoke. I think the smokes that made me realize the mild ones weren't doing it as much for me were first the Tatuaje Havana VI's, and also the Padron maduros. Some of my favorites.

I used to love them until I started running into all sorts of construction problems. I've smoked my way through my stocks and gave a few out to friends, so unless something changes I think I'm done with them. Way too hit or miss in my experience. For the most part they have a great flavor profile though.

I noticed the churchills never tasted nearly as good as the robustos to me either. Just my $0.02.

Right now, I classify myself as a "strength wuss" because I'm very green to cigars and have stuck with mostly mild ones. I'm curious as to how made a transition to a more fuller strength -- was it gradual or did you just get some full cigars and went ahead? ???
Send me your address and I'll send you a fiver of some smokes that are a little fuller bodied but not too strong nicotine-wise. It's my preferred cigar, so I have several things to offer. Also let me know what you've been smoking and liked. That will give me a better idea of what you may like a little more of.

Send me your address and I'll send you a fiver of some smokes that are a little fuller bodied but not too strong nicotine-wise. It's my preferred cigar, so I have several things to offer. Also let me know what you've been smoking and liked. That will give me a better idea of what you may like a little more of.

Class act right here guys. :thumbs: Send him a double ligero chisel! :laugh:

I started out on the mild side myself. I started reading reviews about different cigars and some tastes I had not yet tasted so I started experimenting to see what was out there. Eventually most of the cigars I started smoking just kind of got knocked out of the rotation for more of the new ones, and I found myself even just a year in moving from mild to medium to medium to strong in likes. Have fun find what tastes you like ..I have been having a blast doing it.

I was thinking about this, and one route you may want to try is the Opus Power Ranger. :sign:

Having had nicotine poisoning before, I'll tell you it's a bad thing. But unless you eat a cigar or cigarette, nicotine poisoning from just smoking won't kill you.

Have a full meal right before you smoke and then I suggest you sip a coke the whole way through the cigar. Some people might think you'll ruin the flavor, but the sugar helps keep nicotine sickness away. Oh, and just in case, stay at home or so when you do this. Feeling sick will come out of nowhere, and you'll want to lie down, probably.

I've been bouncing around between thinking I prefer medium, then mild, then lately full flavored smokes. My palate is all over the place in my learning phases. The one thing that's helped me explore is the experience of people on this forum.

Best thing you can probably do is participate in the newbie sampler trade. There are people here who can share their experience and smokes with you for a more than fair price/exchange.

I think I've become a Pepin whore and the only way I would have known that this early in the game is through the newb sampler trade.

Wow! That's very kind of you but you don't have to do that. I've enjoyed a few Davidoff's (particularly their Winston Churchill 10s, Primeros, Georges Reserve, Tatinans -- for when I have a desire for flaour -- and La Gloria Cubana). I've also enjoyed the Acid Cold Infusion (I tried a couple of others but didn't like them). I did a few orders recently online of a few samplers and such, sticking mostly with milds to see what I'd get and to try a few more than the usual (I have to go into Manhattan to find a decent shop I've discovered).

I was thinking about this, and one route you may want to try is the Opus Power Ranger. :sign:

Opus Power Ranger? Seriously called that?

Having had nicotine poisoning before, I'll tell you it's a bad thing. But unless you eat a cigar or cigarette, nicotine poisoning from just smoking won't kill you.

Have a full meal right before you smoke and then I suggest you sip a coke the whole way through the cigar. Some people might think you'll ruin the flavor, but the sugar helps keep nicotine sickness away. Oh, and just in case, stay at home or so when you do this. Feeling sick will come out of nowhere, and you'll want to lie down, probably.

I don't feel sick but I do know when I cigar doesn't taste right or when I've smoked it too fast (burns too quickly) because of the nicotine in the back of my throat. I have done ginger ale with a cigar and brandy (although I may have to find something else since I have such a horrible sweet tooth and I find the brandy too much unless I'm in a specific mood).

To all: thanks for the input. It felt like a dumb question but I've always believed in at least asking. At worst people will laugh. At best one might learn. On an interesting side note, my company is sending me to Mexico City in a little over a week and I'm pondering perhaps seeing about getting a local cigar or two there to see what those are like. Does anyone have suggestions for or experience with mexican cigars?

Linus,

Check out the Oliva line, in particular the Serie O for a medium bodied cigar and the Serie V which is a full bodied smoke but very smooth. Shoot me your address and I'll get a sampler out to you.

Linus,

Check out the Oliva line, in particular the Serie O for a medium bodied cigar and the Serie V which is a full bodied smoke but very smooth. Shoot me your address and I'll get a sampler out to you.

X2 on the recommendation - the Serie Vs are great, tons of flavor but smooth. Padrons are also a good medium to full flavored cigar without that strong nic punch.

I was thinking of suggesting some medium strength Fuentes and Padrons, but if you're smoking Winston Churchills and LGCs, I think you're well on your way to experiencing the full-flavored end of the cigar spectrum.

Ashton VSGs are another that fits into that category. I particularly like the Illusions. Much of what Don Pepin Garcia rolls is quite flavorful as well.

Wow! That's very kind of you but you don't have to do that. I've enjoyed a few Davidoff's (particularly their Winston Churchill 10s, Primeros, Georges Reserve, Tatinans -- for when I have a desire for flaour -- and La Gloria Cubana). I've also enjoyed the Acid Cold Infusion (I tried a couple of others but didn't like them). I did a few orders recently online of a few samplers and such, sticking mostly with milds to see what I'd get and to try a few more than the usual (I have to go into Manhattan to find a decent shop I've discovered).

Well, the offer stands if you change your mind.

Like tigger has said, it sounds like you're on your way with the LGCs and the Winston CHurchills (though I personally haven't smoked one, I hear they're outstanding).

steam-engine-587.jpg

For your sweet tooth, you'll enjoy Avo Maduros. Happy hunting!