• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Moving to Houston

billytpage

Hello all. My wife and I will be moving to Houston at the end of August. Neither of us are familiar with the area and we are currently looking for places to live (via the internet). Our primary concern is finding a safe area to look for an apartment. Any input is greatly appreciated! She has a job lined up downtown with one of the accounting firms (next to the old Enron building of all places :laugh: ) and I will be looking for employment as soon as I finish my masters thesis.

We hope to go down there for a week sometime in March to check out the city. I’ll post then seeking recommendations for good B&M’s and cigar friendly places. We would also like to find some good public or cheap private rifle/pistol ranges.

Thanks!!

Billy

***edutid fur shpelluning****

I live down here in the armpit of America :laugh: :laugh: , I live in the Med. center!! You should look into the Maroneal Apts, they are great that is were I live. What ever you do try to live inside of the loop!! As far as the pistol range, I have a great place to go. Also, when it comes to cigars there are a couple of nice places.. You should look up the Downing Street Pub, that is where my wife and I go whenever we get a chance! They have a huge walkin humi and a huge selection of scotch. Anyways, shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I look forward to meeting you and enjoying a smoke!

-Cody

Edit: Can't spell!!

Low crime suggestion...dont move to houston

Check out the Woodlands. My father-in-law lives there and it's beautiful.
Also, the Men's Club in Houston has a pool you can get into with strippers!
I love Houston.

Stinki

PS. Don't let your wife read that last post of mine. :whistling:

If you want low crime....don't move to the city.

I'm from a small suburb of houston called Kingwood, about 30min north of the city off of hwy 59 (soon to be 69).

There are too damn many B&M's there, including what seems to be an online popular favorite of Serious Cigars.

Kingwood is fantastic, the woodlands are great too, but are further north and has ALOT more traffic which could make getting to the city quite difficult.

Give it a try, we had very low crime, everything is always clean, and it was a fantastic place to grow up, and right next to the highway.

EDIT: there are 2 or 3 rifle/ pistol ranges in the area as well.

Hello all. My wife and I will be moving to Houston at the end of August. Neither of us are familiar with the area and we are currently looking for places to live (via the internet). Our primary concern is finding a safe area to look for an apartment. Any input is greatly appreciated! She has a job lined up downtown with one of the accounting firms (next to the old Enron building of all places :laugh: ) and I will be looking for employment as soon as I finish my masters thesis.

We hope to go down there for a week sometime in March to check out the city. I’ll post then seeking recommendations for good B&M’s and cigar friendly places. We would also like to find some good public or cheap private rifle/pistol ranges.

Thanks!!

Billy

***edutid fur shpelluning****
Wife?, Moving?, What the fuck man? Why are you moving to an area you don't know anything about?

The main problem here is the lack of zoning. You have great areas such as Bellaire or West University and right next door to them may be a terrible neighborhood. I live in Sugar Land in Fort Bend county and love it, Not too far from where I live is the pits.
If your wife is working downtown check out where they mentioned above near the med center as it's convienient to our joke of a train which beats driving & parking all to hell.
When you look at apartments just look at the cars parked there. If they're crap stay away, if they're decent be careful anyway. Many apartments especially in the Southwest part of the city and Greenspoint area were built in the early 80's when we had a meltdown and were taken over by the lenders. They they opened them up to total scum. I saw an entire area around Fondren & Bellfort go to hell overnight,

Forgot to add. The fringes of the city such as Kingwood, the Woodlands, Katy, Sugar Land etc. are just too far to drive downtown every day during rush hours unless your wife enjoys sitting in a car 1 - 1 1/2 hrs or more each way.

I don't know what your budget is, but I live in a great place as I said before!! The Woodlands and all of those place mentioned before are just to far. The Men's Club :love:

Some good advice and some bad advice in this thread. I would match Houston against any 1,000,000+ population city in the US and it is hardly an "armpit". :rolleyes: Houston is the 4th largest city in the US and its crime rate is #9 when compared to cities of 500,000 or more. Like any MAJOR city it has its share of crime but is far far from being crime ridden. If you're looking for Mayberry you need to get outside of Houston. One of the biggest things most people don't realize is how big geographically Houston is.

You will get all kind of responses from people as to where is best to live here. While one person has told you to live "inside the loop" (a term you will eventially understand) others, including myself, would tell you to get outside the loop into the surrounding areas and commute. Traffic is a given in Houston... get use to it. I would never live downtown or close to it. They have been cleaning it up lately and lots of high dollar lofts are springing up everywhere but its still downtown and more of a destination than someplace to live.

Do you have kids? Plan to have kids? Will you both have cars? Do you like close living or open space? I think the best answer anyone of us can give you is to spend your week visiting Houston to really look over as many places as you possibly can. If your wife's company is transfering her here I would think they would assist you with good recommendations. You need to narrow down what part of the city you want to live in, north, south, east, or west, and then move forward. The Woodlands, Kingwood, Katy, Clear Lake, Sugarland are all well known surrounding communities. There are many many more.

BTW, plenty of shooting ranges. There's a great place out west of the city called American Shooting Center.

I knew you were going to come on and say Houston wasn't an "Armpit", I can't wait to have a smoke with you, we have a lot to talk about!!! Houston is not that bad, the weather is what gets me, but come and enjoy your stay!

I think Houston is a great city, but the traffic can be a real pain. If your wife will be working in the downtown area I would suggest looking for an apartment in the Museum district which is just a few miles away from there. There are some great apartment complexes and high rises in that area, plus there is a pretty good B&M called the Briar Shoppe that is close by. They (apartments) will be more expensive compared to places in the outlying areas, but you will save a lot on gas and your commute time won't be an hour long. When you come down in March you can also talk to an Apartment Locator. Their services are free and they'll help you find a place based on your needs and your budget. Good luck!

Thanks for all of the input guys. This is exactly the kind of feedback I can't find in the brochures :laugh: As soon as we start the move I'll get ahold of the Houston BOTL's so we can get together and herf.

Billy

I was going to suggest no matter what the crime rate is like in your area get a gun, but it sounds like you have that part taken care of already.
B

If you're worried about crime, then find a place next to Kenny (Allofus123). The criminals know he has guns so they steer clear of him. :laugh:

I'll come down in the summer and we'll hit an Astros game at Minute Maid Park! :thumbs:

I went to my first Rockets game last night and it was a blast!! Let me know about the Astros game, they are a blast to!!!

if you are looking for safe, i highly suggest a suburb over inside the loop. Inside the loop definitely has extremely nice neighborhoods...... right next to the crappy ones.

I grew up in Clear Lake which is south of downtown on I-45. CCISD is probably the best school district in the area. Katy will say they are, but look at the ratings. Clear Creek ISD is in the greater clear lake area. Friendswood, Clear Lake, League City, are your best bet for this side of town. Basically its halfway between downton and the beach. I live in League City (booming brand new neighborhoods) anywhere from the 150's brand new to the millions.

Others live in Sugarland, Kingwood, The Woodlands, Katy. Those and Clear Lake are generally the standard offerings. Katy is probably the longest commute on 290 NorthWest. Woodlands is North on I-45, Kingwood is north east on 59, sugarland is southwest on 59, Clear lake is south on I-45.

Personally, I love living near Seabrook (the lake area) and I'm 30 minutes from Galveston (the beach).. I would never live in Katy because its well over 1 hour commute in rush hour. My drive in is 45 minutes and my drive home is 1 hour. I live 32 miles from my office smack in the middle of downtown.

Inside the loop is for couples without kids and no kids in the near future. you do NOT want your kids going to an HISD school. That is like sending your kids to the ghetto every day.. The burbs are pretty safe, and each burb has its benefit, although, other than clear lake, not really. At least in clear lake you have a nice lake and seaside restraunts etc to hang out in.

Yeah that is why you send them to private school! Traffic sucks around Houston, it doesn't matter where you live there are bad people every where!

OMG, I just noticed you are currently in Emporia? Quite a culture shock coming. I hunted Snow Geese up there one year on a spring conservation hunt. Loved being able to go knock on a farmers door and ask to hunt their land. We actually started our hunt in Beatrice, Nebraska but the freeze line was south of us so we drove south and ended up in Emporia where the Snow geese were stacked up. We slammed them pretty good but it was obvious we were in a farming community. Talk about a dead town after 9pm. I'm sure the Super 8 hotel there in town would appreciate us not coming back. We sat out in their parking lot cleaning birds and I'm sure it took months for the smell to leave their dumpsters from that. :laugh: