• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mr Peats ESG review...

I agree it's all hype...but it was good hype. We all bought into it and we smoked them...Fuente Marketing...woo-hoo!!! But I happened to like them.

You mean Ashton marketing, right? Ashton is the one who is placing the ads, doing the marketing, and selling these cigars.

I agree it's all hype...but it was good hype. We all bought into it and we smoked them...Fuente Marketing...woo-hoo!!! But I happened to like them.

You mean Ashton marketing, right? Ashton is the one who is placing the ads, doing the marketing, and selling these cigars.

From what I hear, the Fuente's own a huge piece of the Ashton brand.

CA: What are some of the other brands that you do produce for other people?

Fuente:Most of the cigars that we manufacture are either owned by our family totally, partially, or made under license. Some of the brands don't carry the Fuente name, like Montesino. Montesino is an old brand that we've been manufacturing for many years. We also produce Ashton, and that's a joint venture between us and Robbie Levin of Holt's Cigar Co. We also have Bauza, which is a brand owned by our company [marketed by Oscar Boruchin of Mike's Cigars in Miami]. And we make several brands for the Newman family, under license with the Newman family, such as Cuesta-Rey, La Unica and Diamond Crown. We also make Savinelli ELR and several others.

I've also seen lots of them with patches and holes in the wrapper. Just isn't the quality I was expecting for something with a $18 MSRP. The only other cigar I've noticed patches on is the WOAM. IMO, from what I've seen, the ESGs have a very high percentage of sticks with some sort of significant wrapper defect (patch, hole, etc). About 1 in 8 or so. While it might not concern some people, I feel that for the price, it ought to be perfect. (And come on, with such a beautiful band, what's the use of an ugly stick?)

The price point is terrible. I can understand if it's an $18 Limited Edition cigar that is made with rare, super-aged, ultra complex blended tobacco. But it's like Ashton is trying to ease us (lube?) into a new stratospheric price point by making these a gimmick limited edition with the whole 30 year anniversary marketing and then making them a regular production line in the next few years. Sure, I'll horde as many ESGs as possible if it's a limited run even if it's a bit expensive, but with it being a continued line, why bother? There's no rush.

Aside from those pricing, quality, and marketing issues :::SIGH:::, I'm looking forward to my 2nd ESG this weekend.

Just my opinion. =)

What gets my goat about this cigar is the price point. Rolling two $10 cigars together doesn't make it a $20 cigar. I really feel they lost the best parts of both lines when they made the ESG. Though I had a decent burn on all three of the ESG's that I have smoked, the wrappers were all ugly and one of them was even patched. I think that much like the King B, Fuente did rush the hands of time on this one just to feed our junky-like attitude towards their cigars. I agree Mr. Peat...another in a long line of expensive hard to find money makers that was all hype. I could have enjoyed myself a great deal more had I spent my $80 at the titty bar with my $6 cigar.

Thanks for the review Peat. I've seen some other negative comments about the ESG around some boards, maybe these were released well before their time? I've only ever smoked 1 Ashton which was a VSG and I have to say it was a great cigar, but maybe the Fuentes are spreading themselves too thin now by producing so many cigars for so many different brands? I don't know the stats, but I'm sure Fuente produces millions upon millions of cigars each year so perhaps they should scale back? I have to admit, I was whipped up in the marketing hype surrounding these new Ashtons as well a few months back.

I think it's unfair to call this a bad cigar.

Maybe over-hyped (then again, when was the last time a cigar was so hyped up) and definitely over-priced, but still, it's not a bad cigar. And, honestly, in Michigan where I usually am, people would be happy to shell out $18 for this one, but they won't get it for anything under $23 probably because of the state tobacco tax.

You hear wrong:

http://www.ashtoncigars.com/Ashton_Story.htm

Fuente makes the cigars, but they have no stake in the brand. The marketing is separate, done by Ashton.

Perhaps the confusion is that Fuente owns a stake in Holts?

Thanks for the review Peat. I've seen some other negative comments about the ESG around some boards, maybe these were released well before their time? I've only ever smoked 1 Ashton which was a VSG and I have to say it was a great cigar, but maybe the Fuentes are spreading themselves too thin now by producing so many cigars for so many different brands? I don't know the stats, but I'm sure Fuente produces millions upon millions of cigars each year so perhaps they should scale back? I have to admit, I was whipped up in the marketing hype surrounding these new Ashtons as well a few months back.

Don't believe the hype. These are good cigars, and Fuente is not overextended.

Tastes vary; some people will like this cigar, some won't... there are also people raving about 'em. The thing is, with the expectations and price of this cigar, unless people are blown away, there's the tendency to feel let down.

You hear wrong:

Fuente makes the cigars, but they have no stake in the brand. The marketing is separate, done by Ashton.

Tastes vary; some people will like this cigar, some won't... there are also people raving about 'em. The thing is, with the expectations and price of this cigar, unless people are blown away, there's the tendency to feel let down.

Great link Moki! I really loved the flash slide show here...

http://www.ashtoncigars.com/Making-of-Ashton.htm

:thumbs:

You hear wrong:

Fuente owns 35% of Holts, which owns Ashton, pretty clear to me.

Well, I am going to smoke my first one tonight. I've been letting them rest since I got them the first day they were out around here.
Well, either the ESG or going to try another AVO 80 to see if they are coming around yet.
Hope I like 'em more than Peat!

Q: Tell us about your business relationship with the Fuentes.

A: In 1992, Ashton was becoming fairly successful. I wanted the Fuentes to make them, and they wanted to have an interest in Ashton. So they became partners in Ashton.

Q: They became a minority owner of the Asthon brand?

A: Yes. And it's been a great partnership.

Q: What happened when you took your company public?

A: We put everything together under Holt's Cigar Holdings; then they became a partner in everything, because we had to put all the companies [the wholesale, mail-order and retail business] together.

Q: What percentage do they own?

A: Now they own 35 percent of the company.

hrm... what's the date on that article? That wasn't my understanding after talking with some folks from Fuente, but I could very well stand corrected!

Regardless, Ashton does have its own sales force, sales reps, and marketing folks who do the marketing for the Ashton brand.

I've noticed here and on other boards,most high priced or rare cigar reviews are negative.I believe its hard for some to not let price be a factor in a thorough,detailed,honest review.
Price aside,this is a very good cigar.I myself like the VSG better.
I will buy more and give another opinion after smokeing more.

hrm... what's the date on that article? That wasn't my understanding after talking with some folks from Fuente, but I could very well stand corrected!

Regardless, Ashton does have its own sales force, sales reps, and marketing folks who do the marketing for the Ashton brand.

Cigar Aficionado
July/Aug 03

I don't know the inner workings of Ashton/Holts/Fuente but I'm guessing if Fuente owns 35% of Holts they make their opinions, strategies and voices heard.

link...

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Ar...html?issueId=64

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Holts also own Casa Fuente in Vegas, now all the pieces are starting to come together.

Cigar Aficionado
July/Aug 03

I don't know the inner workings of Ashton/Holts/Fuente but I'm guessing if Fuente owns 35% of Holts they make their opinions, strategies and voices heard.

link...

I'll check up to see if the situation has changed since then, because it doesn't jive with some discussions I've had with folks at Fuente. In any event, I'll assume it's still the case until I hear otherwise, thanks for the info.

Fuente also has a stake in Tampa Sweethearts... but they don't do anything in terms of the marketing there

Cigar Aficionado
July/Aug 03

link...

I'll check up to see if the situation has changed since then, because it doesn't jive with some discussions I've had with folks at Fuente. In any event, I'll assume it's still the case until I hear otherwise, thanks for the info.

Fuente also has a stake in Tampa Sweethearts... but they don't do anything in terms of the marketing there

If I'm not mistaken, TS is just a small retail outlet owned by Carlos' brother, they just sell everything at Fuente MSRP.

Don't worry Moki, just busting your chops because I wanted to see you defend your beloved Fuentes, nice to see the loyalty, I will smoke a Montesino tonight and dedicate it to you! :p :p

Moki,

Just to bust your chops a little bit more...

http://sec.edgar-online.com/1998/06/26/14/...13/Section6.asp

Cigar Aficionado
July/Aug 03

link...

If I'm not mistaken, TS is just a small retail outlet owned by Carlos' brother, they just sell everything at Fuente MSRP.

Don't worry Moki, just busting your chops because I wanted to see you defend your beloved Fuentes, nice to see the loyalty, I will smoke a Montesino tonight and dedicate it to you! :p :p

Moki,

Just to bust your chops a little bit more...

http://sec.edgar-online.com/1998/06/26/14/...13/Section6.asp

LOL.

Jabba's been fishing...
spil1098.JPG

Hey, I don't care -- I'm glad to have the accurate info. What's confusing me is the conversations I've had on the subject with some folks at Fuente. Interesting...

Wow, I missed a lot. Ashton or Fuente, those in charge of advertising had me frothing at the mouth for the ESG's. Moki, you are right about having expectations built up to the point of never being able to meet them. I do like the ESG. Not as much as the VSG or FFOX seperately, but it was good. As they release the rest of the sizes will they increase production (in hopes that it will bring these into a more reasonable price point)? For half the price, they would be phenomanal cigars.

One of these days Mr. Peat and I are going to have to sit down with some cigars and bourbon and discuss politics! :laugh: You don't hold back and I like that.

Nate

Moki,

How's this for Ashton rep gouging their customers... The shop I bought my 2nd ESG at is owned by the local Ashton Rep...he sold the ESG for $45!!! Then, so many people complained that he lowered it to $30. That's bad!!! How can he do that to his own company's reputation...Fuggin' gouger!

-Fetter

18 USD - MSRP !!! If local vender here brings it in its gonna cost about 35 USD!! OUCH!!!!!!!! thats 46 dollars in local currency. Dont think i'll be getting one any time soon or never.