• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Must Smokes

Juanote

The sound of one hand fapping
What smokes should every smoker try at least once? I'm thinking cigars specifically but also marcas in general, CC / NC / whatever. It would also be interesting to hear the rationale for each suggestion.

Life is short, I must make some choices, and I appreciate your assistance.

Padron 1926 40th and 80th. Opus X
P.s. life is too short to have a rationale for every choice :)

Those speak for themselves. It's also a matter of limited resources.

This is subjective like everything else about cigars, but the following set the bar for me. And I've found these cigars to be obtainable.

Partagas 898 from the 90's. I think this is the benchmark for Cuban cigars.

Padron Millennium. The finest Nicaraguan cigar I've had.

AF Opus X the Lancero and the power ranger. In my opinion the best from the Dominican Republic. I'm a fan of the Rosado wrapper.

There are a lot of great cigars out there what makes them memorable to me is who I smoke them with.

Just my opinion.

Cuban:

Cohiba BHK 52,54,56---absolutely an amazing smoke
Monte #2-well balanced and flavourful, very consistant
Partagas Lusi-wonderful pepper and cedar flavours
PSD4-strong but smooth
Punch punch-lighter than the Partagas but great balance and flavour complexity
Bolivar Belicosos finos- strong and peppery
Monte No. 4-very smooth cedar and nutmeg

Non Cuban:

Padron 40 yr always delicious and balanced
Padron 80 yr (amazing)
Opus X --all of them but I like the Super Beli the best from the regular line
Illusione Rothschild-delicious 
Any of the Liga Privada T52 line-stronger and flavourful

Al this of course is opinion. I agree that it is the company you keep when you enjoy this sport

I would have to say the following would fit into my list:

LP Dirty Rat
Viaje DES I or II
Padron Melenium
Several LFD's
AF Shark

I could probably list a few more if needed.  But this is the 5 I can think of.

whopper said:
LFD Double Ligero.

.....on an empty stomach of course. 
I agree, it would be unfortunate to go through life without having been made sick by a cigar.
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for.  A list of "holy grail, cost no object" smokes, or smokes that could actually be found and afforded (barely, in some cases).

Let's say it's smokes that are reasonably easy to find, reasonably easy to afford.  Lots of my choices have been mentioned.  These are sticks I really like, YMMV....

The guys at Padron make world class smokes.  You really need to try a Padron Millenium, '26 #9, '64 Exclusivo, 40th, 80th, and FR 45th.  These are very well aged by the Padron family so they are good to go right out of the box.  While you're at it, try a 3000 just to say you've smoked representatives of most of the entire Padron range.

Fuente OpusX is a world unto itself.  I'd find a couple with at least a couple years on them   I like the Perfecxion X and the Double Corona, but there are lots of others.  I'd also find some Anejo's with some down time.  I prefer 48's and 49's, lots of guys really go for the Shark (77).  I'd say at the end of the day I prefer Anejo's to the OpusX line in general, but they are both worth investigating.  A couple years (or more) of humi time does wonders for these smokes.

Jonathan Drew has really picked up the game in the last couple years.  Try a Liga Privada #9 (I like the Toro or the Robusto), a T52 (same), and an Undercrown (same).  I didn't care for the Nica Rustica nearly as much but lots of guys really love 'em.  

Where do you start with Pepin smokes....there are a gazillion of them (including Tatuajie).  I'd get some of the original 'brown label' Unico series.  I'm very partial to the Regio, the Especiale, and the Taino.  If you can find some TAA's from 2011 or 2012 they are really stellar.  Believe it or not, the little Petite Cazadore Reserva is a hell of a small smoke.  It's still the standard that I judge small smokes by.

I haven't mentioned any cigars from the island south of Miami because I won't claim to have any significant knowledge on what's up with the different ranges.  I can tell you I really like Bolivar Royal Corona's, PSD#4's, and Upmann MAG46's.  Friends of mine rave about the Monte #2.  I'm sure someone with more knowledge can fill in the blanks there.

Now, truth be told, you may not dig every cigar mentioned, but these are the ones that come to mind as significant stops in my cigar journey.  I'm sure in an hour I'll think of a dozen more.... ;)

Enjoy - B.B.S.

Some great posts on this thread. Just a small note, I don't think it is necessary to like every 'must smoke.' Sometimes the experience of not liking something can be even more valuable than experiencing something you enjoy, if it gives you a strong indication of where your preferences lie.

Illusione CG4
Por Larranaga Petit Corona
Quesada Seleccion Espana Corona

Juanote said:
Some great posts on this thread. Just a small note, I don't think it is necessary to like every 'must smoke.' Sometimes the experience of not liking something can be even more valuable than experiencing something you enjoy, if it gives you a strong indication of where your preferences lie.

I really don't care for infused cigars. I didn't have to smoke an Acid to figure that out.

Anything you can get your hands on is a must try.

I can't tell you how many cigars I've had that have knocked my socks off. Ones that my initial reaction was to turn my nose up at because it was made by Altadis, or cost two bucks.

Just don't keep trying the ones you don't like.
I've had many a "Yard Gar" take me by surprise.

Like others, I have trouble saying anything is a must have.  There's so much that goes into it that it would be difficult to pick one.

My advice would be to try a grocery store stick, an Acid, and a real cigar such as a Padron.

Every smoker should do that at least once, so that they know the difference between crap, flavored crap, and art.

So many of us seem clear on the point that there are so many good cigars that it's hard to pinpoint the ones that are 'must haves'. That's true. I have to agree with many of the ones noted above but the one single cigar that I would add is the DPG blue label lancero or fundadore or whatever you call it. That cigar fit my tastes exactly.

Any cigar you see that has the words "Padron" and "Reserve" on it.... It's always worth whatever they're asking for it!

Also going to toss in My Father Le Bijou 1922. Outta this world.