• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My 1000 post contest

Wurm

Bratwurst and Beer
For my 1000 post contest, we are going to have a 10 question quiz regarding the cold war. Everyone who was a member up to and including the date the quiz was posted is eligible except Double D, who gets enough of my cigars as it is.

The first person to PM me all the correct answers will be considered the winner. The winner will receive the following prize.

One each of the Dannemann Artist Line cigars available at my B&M which represents the best German cigar culture has to offer, and almost impossible to get in America (pretty hard to get over here as well) :p. Prize value > $30

bild_3s.jpg

Thanks for playing and good luck.

1) What document released in 1950 outlined the US policy for the “cold war” ?

2) What famous General and cigar smoker was responsible for the forming of SAC?

3) What does CFE stand for?

4) What does MAD stand for?

5) What famous poster greeted all US Military members from the late 70s to the early 90s upon their arrival in Germany, promising them 100,000 German Marks if they could help in the arrest of any member of THIS GROUP.

6) This top 10 song in 1965 said we were all on the _ _ _ _ Who sang the song and what was its title?

7) Who was Francis Gary Powers?

8) What happened on November 2, 1962, 5:30 P.M

9) This event in 1986 is considered on of the major reasons the “Iron Curtain” fell. What was it?

10) In October 1983 I spent over 24 hours in a C-130 circling Texas ready to go to World War III, What was the reason?

Tried googleing the first two, didn't find shit. It would probably help if i'd be born in the 1950s. Good luck to those who try

and nice questions Wurm

Well,

Let me wish you a happy 1,000th...and further say that I haven't a damned clue on any of those. :D

Wilkey

I'm going to take a stab at this...

1) The Truman Doctrine
2) General George C. Kenny
3) Conventional Armed Forces in Europe
4) Mutually Assured Destruction
5) Red Army Faction / Baader-Meinhof Gang
6) "Eve of Destruction", Barry McGuire
7) Shot down over USSR in U2 Spy Plane
8) President Kennedy announces withrawal ships / end of Cuban Blockade / "Cuban Missle Crisis"
9) Not absolutely sure what you're looking for here - there were several things that eventually brought down the wall. The Reagan Dcotrine was released in 1986. SDI was started in 1983, but was the topic of discussion between Reagan and Gorbachev in Iceland in October of 1986, which lead to the START and INF Treaties. Increased US military spending during this period led to Glastnost, the USSR ecomomic policy, which along with depressed oil prices led to an economic crisis in the USSR - which led to the creation of several separatists groups. I'm not sure which of these events would have been the specific answer you were looking for. It seems they were all in combination at the time leading to the eventual dissolution of the USSR in 1991, and the Berlin Wall coming down.
10) Two events - first was the suicide bombing of US Barracks in Beirut on 10/23/83, and but more importantly the US Invasion of Grenada on 10/25/83.

***edited to add the "October 1986" in answer #9

ggiese said:

1) The Truman Doctrine
8) President Kennedy announces withrawal ships / end of Cuban Blockade / "Cuban Missle Crisis"
9) Not absolutely sure what you're looking for here - there were several things that eventually brought down the wall. The Reagan Dcotrine was released in 1986. SDI was started in 1983, but was the topic of discussion between Reagan and Gorbachev in Iceland in October of 1986, which lead to the START and INF Treaties. Increased US military spending during this period led to Glastnost, the USSR ecomomic policy, which along with depressed oil prices led to an economic crisis in the USSR - which led to the creation of several separatists groups. I'm not sure which of these events would have been the specific answer you were looking for. It seems they were all in combination at the time leading to the eventual dissolution of the USSR in 1991, and the Berlin Wall coming down.
10) Two events - first was the suicide bombing of US Barracks in Beirut on 10/23/83, and but more importantly the US Invasion of Grenada on 10/25/83.

[snapback]279195[/snapback]​

PM brother, PM!! :laugh:

btw, thanks for a couple of the harder ones. I think I got ya on #9, tho... :whistling:

stevehawk said:
ggiese said:

1) The Truman Doctrine

PM brother, PM!! :laugh:

btw, thanks for a couple of the harder ones. I think I got ya on #9, tho... :whistling:
[snapback]279211[/snapback]​

Oops... :blush: LOL

Do I win??? ???

Excellent contest..... took alot of Googling

1) What document released in 1950 outlined the US policy for the “cold war” ?
nsc-68..... secret document... written by the CIA
2) What famous General and cigar smoker was responsible for the forming of SAC?

Gen. Curtis LeMay formed the STRATEGIC AIR COMMAND

3) What does CFE stand for?
conventional armed forces in europe treaty
4) What does MAD stand for?

Military Aircraft Database
5) What famous poster greeted all US Military members from the late 70s to the early 90s upon their arrival in Germany, promising them 100,000 German Marks if they could help in the arrest of any member of THIS GROUP.

Any member of the Red Army Faction

6) This top 10 song in 1965 said we were all on the _ _ _ _ Who sang the song and what was its title?
Eve of Destruction by Barry McGuire
7) Who was Francis Gary Powers?
he flew covert surveillance over moscow in 1960 during the cold war
8) What happened on November 2, 1962, 5:30 P.M

November 2, 1962: The Penkovsky False Warning

In the fall of 1962, Colonel Oleg Penkovsky was working with the Soviets as a double agent for the (U.S.) C.I.A. He had been given a code by which to warn the CIA if he was convinced that a Soviet attack on the United States was imminent. He was to call twice, one minute apart, and only blow into the receiver. Further information was then to be left at a "dead drop" in Moscow.

The pre-arranged code message was received by the CIA on November 2, 1962.

It was known at the CIA that Penkovsky had been arrested on October 22. Penkovsky knew he was going to be executed. It is not known whether he had told the KGB the meaning of the code signal or only how it would be given, nor is it known exactly why or with what authorization the KGB staff used it. When another CIA agent checked the dead drop he was arrested.

9) This event in 1986 is considered on of the major reasons the “Iron Curtain” fell. What was it?

The Reagan Doctrine or April 25- Nuclear reactor accident occurred at Chernobyl.

10) In October 1983 I spent over 24 hours in a C-130 circling Texas ready to go to World War III, What was the reason?

Oct 26,1983 the invasion of Grenada

George.... you lose.... ya spelled "Doctrine" wrong

Damn, that one is tough! Thanks for the contest Wurm!

GL all. I couldn't find all the answers.

- C

* Edit to add: BK, I still got three different answers than you, and I'm not sure who Wurm thinks is right. Some questions are a little too open ended to have a definite answer.

Good job either way though!

ggiese said:

1) The Truman Doctrine

Well Spank my ass and call me Wurm! :sign:

Plus no PM now that's Baaaaad! :p

Cheers on your 1000th post Wurm and George you are ON POINT ! :thumbs:

Good Show!

lol We have a tie between Stevehawk and Blue Dragon with 9 correct answers each.

George - 8, christ0pher - 8 and BKC -8 all came in as close seconds, thanks for playing gents!

Here are the answers I was looking for,

1) NSC-68

2) Gen. Curtis E. LeMay (you hardly ever see a picture of him without a stogie. :thumbs: )

3) Conventional Forces in Europe

4) Mutual assured destruction

5) The RAF / Baader Meinhof Gang Wanted Poster

6) Barry McGuire's "Eve of Destruction"

7) U2 pilot shot down over the USSR and convicted as a spy.

8) President Kennedy announced the Cuban Missile Crisis to be over.

9)Chernobyl Accident

10) The Invasion of Grenada

BD and SH, I was going to ask a tie breaker question, but the heck with it... you both need to PM your snailers to me and I'll have the smokes on the way to you two next week :thumbs:

Congrats to you both, and thanks to everyone who played!

Ekans said:
Tried googleing the first two, didn't find shit. It would probably help if i'd be born in the 1950s. Good luck to those who try

and nice questions Wurm
[snapback]279169[/snapback]​

Pffftttt I was born in the 60s lol

Bah he waited until after i went to bed and posted this . was scared i might give someone answers the little turd. congratulations on your 1000 post. To the winners if you found these answers you have entirely to much time on your hands grats both of ya. I am working on a nice easy one for you all hehe.

Schweet!! LOL that Blue and I won... we are both in Boise, ID! If you want, you can send a combined package to either of us and save on postage.

Question #10 was my favorite. I landed in Grenada with the 82nd Airborne Division on day 2!

Thanks for the contest! PM sent on addy! :thumbs:

stevehawk said:
Schweet!! LOL that Blue and I won... we are both in Boise, ID! If you want, you can send a combined package to either of us and save on postage.

Question #10 was my favorite. I landed in Grenada with the 82nd Airborne Division on day 2!

[snapback]279409[/snapback]​

You owe me a split, there Steve - I gave you the answers to the hardest questions!!! :angry:

j/k - congrats both of you!!! :thumbs:

Nice contest wurm - very challenging!!! (some of those questions were a REAL rough - and some I think I'd like to debate - like the Chernobyl... :laugh: )

Yeah my unit was Reforger commited so while you all went down there to kick cuban ass we circled the great state of Texas in a C-130 waiting to see what Russia was going to do about it.

ggiese said:
stevehawk said:
Schweet!!  LOL that Blue and I won...  we are both in Boise, ID!  If you want, you can send a combined package to either of us and save on postage. 

Thanks for the contest!  PM sent on addy!  :thumbs:

You owe me a split, there Steve - I gave you the answers to the hardest questions!!! :angry:

j/k - congrats both of you!!! :thumbs:

Nice contest wurm - very challenging!!! (some of those questions were a REAL rough - and some I think I'd like to debate - like the Chernobyl... :laugh: )
[snapback]279411[/snapback]​

lol yeah you did help him out a bit, glad you liked it!

stevehawk said:

Rock On!!!

Yea, that is funny both SteveHawk and I won. Idaho Represents! LOL ...
But yea, feel free to save on some shipping and send it to either of us. He just lives 10 min down the street from me.

Thanks for the contest Wurm! That was fun. It definitely took longer than I expected to find all the answers. :thumbs:
- C