• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My Cabinet Humi Project

handypilot

Here's updated plans for my cabinet humi:

humi004.jpg

I have the doors done and now I'm in the process of building the frame. This cabinet will be in-wall with custom microprocessor controlled active humidification, and circulation fans. It's designed to fit between two 16" OC wall stud cavities (30 1/2" wide).

One of the features I'm going to build into the cabinet is alternating channels (front to back) so air has to pass back and forth over my sticks as it's circulated. The drawers and shelves will be slotted also, so air may come through the sticks if the drawer/shelf isn't full.

Take a look at the plans and let me know if you foresee any problems with it...other than filling it. ;)

The one thing I'm concerned about is the circulation fans driving air up the 3" PVC tubes. Do you think a small DC computer fan can handle the weight of the air going up 5 feet? There will be the fans at the top pulling the air also.

You can get some pretty stout computer fans. Here's a 92mm Delta that moves.....175 CFM...!!

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/delta-pfb09...high-speed.html

For the best fan selection I've ever found, I can easily recommend HeatSink Factory. I use them for all my custom / high performance PC builds. Great selection, ships product quick, competitive prices.

What controller are you planning on using...??

Be careful when buying the computer fans that move that much air, well unless you don't give a crap about the noise they will make.

I don't really have anything to add but would love to see pictures of the progess and finished product!

I just have to say that this is an awesome project. Good luck with completing it. You should post some pics when your done, or better yet as you go through the process.

Using glass can hinder the performance of your humidifier. Keep in mind that the humidification media will release and absorb humidity. I'd go a little overboard on your humidifier. Maybe something designed for about 30% more sq ft than you are building. This will prevent your humidifier from working too hard. Looks great so far. I look forward to your progress. :thumbs:

How will the PVC be attached?
I haven't thought too deeply about it yet, but thought about just a tight dry fit. I don't want to impart the smell or taste of any glues out gassing. The fans would then be secured to the cabinet frame and not the PVC.

The PVC I'm not totally sold on yet because of the plastic smell. Though I might use the coolidor cleaning techniques from CP.

Using glass can hinder the performance of your humidifier. Keep in mind that the humidification media will release and absorb humidity. I'd go a little overboard on your humidifier. Maybe something designed for about 30% more sq ft than you are building. This will prevent your humidifier from working too hard. Looks great so far. I look forward to your progress. :thumbs:

Thanks for the advice guys!

It's looking good, I like the doors a lot. It will be awesome to see the completed project.

Handypilot,
It looks like you have an interesting concept with the pvc pipe. I will be interested to see how that & the control connected to the web work out. The capacity has been built into my new control to connect to a computer & the web, but I haven't fully explored that potential yet.

My only comment on your plan, is the dwgs don't show plans for airflow inside the humidor. I would suggest that you leave a generous space (1 1/2-2" behind the shelves & at least an inch in front of them. Once slatted shelves are filled up with boxes they function like a solid piece of wood. Space for air flow has been the biggest determinant of even humidification in my experiments with different designs over the years. Trying to force air movement without an open plenum never seemed to work very well.

I don't see any difference in performance or required humidification output with glass vs wood panel doors.They are both sealed. As with any humidor direct sunlight is the enemy. Glass doors with direct light is like parking your car in the sun.

Have fun with building it. If the door pics are an indication, should be a great piece.

cheers,
Bob Staebell

My only comment on your plan, is the dwgs don't show plans for airflow inside the humidor. I would suggest that you leave a generous space (1 1/2-2" behind the shelves & at least an inch in front of them.

That's the plan...I'm actually going to stagger the slots. The top shelf will have the space at the back, the next at the front, the next at the back and so forth. This should direct the airflow back and forth over the sticks instead of just letting it flow straight down the front or back.

It's looking good, I like the doors a lot. It will be awesome to see the completed project.
Your cabinet was my inspiration. Thanks!