• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My damn lighter will not work.

Vector makes the best fuel in my opinion... I think it is filtered 5 times. At least that is what they say.. I have a 15 dollar triple flame torch lighter, works like a dream. It sure does eat up some fuel however.

knock on wood I have had my colibri triplex for over 3 years and its still a charm. I bought a Xikar Executive also for about 22 bucks which works nicely also, the tank is just a little small on it.

Bonus on the Xikar.....warranty for life

I have a ten dollar colibri that NEVER fails. And since I hardly have time to get nice fuel, I'm using the cheap fuel, and it still works great... I have no idea what I'm doing different, except I bleed it everytime I run out. Get ALL the air out.

I have a ten dollar colibri that NEVER fails. And since I hardly have time to get nice fuel, I'm using the cheap fuel, and it still works great... I have no idea what I'm doing different, except I bleed it everytime I run out. Get ALL the air out.

One of the Firebirds? I've got one right now, it's holding up okay, but has a crappy flame, it emits more of a "glow" than a torch.

I've been really impressed with the Lotus lighters, especially the massive triple flame table models. We've got one in the shop on the counter for everyday use and it reliably pwns multiple cigars every day. And reasonably priced at about $50 a piece.

We just got in a big shipment of Colibri for the Christmas season, theres a gorgeous looking slender model done in pearl and gunmetal with a real nice smooth action, part of me wants to pick it up, but the logical part of me knows that would be a bad call.

Never got Colibri. Tried a lot of dofferent lighters in wide price range. Stopped at Blue Rhino triple torch. Works like a dream.

My colibri lighter began melting down on me as well until I began using Vector lighter fluid. The Colibri fuel is more expensive and is prone to problems. I highly recommend the Vector fuel as it works better and is quite a bit less expensive!

Haven't touched my Colibri torch since I picked up an ST Dupont from Mark. Torches are great for the windy times, but for me nothing will ever beat a nice soft flame.

Wow, thanks guys. Lots of good info here... I guess I need a better lighter. If Colibri sucks so bad, why do all of the B&M's carry them. I'm a little annoyed that my local guy reccomended it. BTW, Infinity, I have that same exact color Xikar cutter... got it when I bought the Colibri... at least the cutter still works.

I had a couple of Colibris go out on me. One of them within the first month I had it. I don't recall which models they were, but I think they set me back $60 and $100. I next tried a few cheapie torches that worked well for a bit, then also took a dump.

Now I exlusively use soft flames. I like them so much better than torches. My #1 lighter, coincidentally, is a Colibri. The CEO Elite. It's got a giant resevoir and a fuel capacity window. I've beaten that poor lighter to death in the past two years and it's still going strong. All I do is pop in a new flint every so often, and those last a long time as well.

I also have a Prometheus Barron and ST Dupont Ligne 2. They are both flint/soft flames as well.

I had a couple of Colibris go out on me. One of them within the first month I had it. I don't recall which models they were, but I think they set me back $60 and $100. I next tried a few cheapie torches that worked well for a bit, then also took a dump.

Now I exlusively use soft flames. I like them so much better than torches. My #1 lighter, coincidentally, is a Colibri. The CEO Elite. It's got a giant resevoir and a fuel capacity window. I've beaten that poor lighter to death in the past two years and it's still going strong. All I do is pop in a new flint every so often, and those last a long time as well.

I also have a Prometheus Barron and ST Dupont Ligne 2. They are both flint/soft flames as well.

Why do you prefer the soft flame? Someone else in this thread said the same thing, although it seems the overwhelming majority uses torches...

Thanks again for all the great feedback...

Does anyone know anything about the Promethius butane?

Them darn torches always seem to eventually fail out. Even if it's just for routine servicing. The flints/soft flames are much simpler in design. Thus, they have less mechanisms to fail. As I posted before, my main lighter is a Colibri soft flame and it's freakin' indestructable. Sure, you have to shield soft flames from the wind, but they will always light.

I don't know the chemistry of the flame/combustion temperatures, but much is opined on in regards to an overheated cigar yielding harsher smoke. Torches burn hotter than soft flames. Thus, to my feeble mind, soft flames generate a smoother smoke from the very first puff. Now, this may or may not be true, but if we didn't obsess to some degree about such things, we wouldn't bother with butane lighters to begin with. Bics are less than a buck a pop and are pretty darn reliable themselves.

X2 on the Lotus Lighters. I have had one for (cough cough) 3 weeks now since my better half decided I could get one. It's taken some time to get used to since it's one torch jet instead of the 3 jets that I get from the Thompson's 2-fer Nibo that I got a couple of years ago, But It's a really nice piece. Lotus also makes their own butane. I don't know how well they hold up in the long run, but I'm very happy with it right now.

In the linky, I have the Blue L4

Colibre Lighters,
I have owned about 6 Colibre lighters. I can tell you 5 have been back to Colibre for repair. For lighters ranging from $45 - over a $100 they Suck.
If a $10 cheepie goes bad after 6 months to a year. You throw it out & Don't care. But Colibre tries to get you to pay for the repair. On 2 lighters they told me they were tampered with.
They were purchased from J&R & Village Cigar in NYC.
SAVE Your Money. Don't buy a Colibre.
Lenny Waller
smdad@optonline.netundefined

talk about lighters....can anyone recommend a good site to purchase lighters and those z-plus zippo inserts?

I have a Colibre somewhere that I have had for quite a few years, but it is pretty much a POS. It worked well for about a year or so, then began giving me trouble.

The best lighter I have had was a $15 Cigar Savor,perfect flame , I loved that thing. It looks like a knock off Dupont.. But ofcourse I lost it. I was just traveling and needed a new lighter so I picked up a Lotus and so far I love it. But we will see how well it holds up.

I just found this web page "lighters", may order up another Cigar Savor for a back up.