• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My Father Limited Edition 2010

Bsneed51

Habitual Threadjacker!
I was fortunate enough to get one of these cigars from the Make a Wish thread thanks to bluue13. After watching the Chiefs blow a game they should have won today, I decided to head outside and do some yard work while enjoying a cigar.

DSC01613.jpg

Wrapper: Hybrid Ecuadorian Rosado/Criollo Wrapper
Filler: Nicaraguan
Size: 6 1/2 by 52 ring gauge

Appearance: No doubt this is a very nice looking, well made cigar. The wrapper is absolutely flawless, with a nice sheen, and no visible veins. The triple cap on this cigar is as well done as any I've seen.

I clipped the cap with my Xikar, and took a cold draw. The draw was a little tighter than I would have preferred, but not so much that it was going to hinder the cigar. The cold taste was pretty much straight forward tobacco, and cedar. I also noticed that I did not get the normal tingle on my lips I get from a lot of Pepin cigars.

I lit up the cigar, and away I went. The cigar started with a taste of aged tobacco, cedar, and a slight sweetness. One thing I noticed right away as that I didn't get the blast of pepper that normally accompanies Pepin cigars. This had more of a medium strength, and that was not a bad thing at all. I've been smoking a lot of ISOMs lately, and I got a lot of the same flavors in this cigar that I've been getting from those.

As the cigar progressed the flavors remained pretty steady, and occasionally would mix in the tastes of medium roast coffee. The sweetness remained most of the time, and had kind of a honey flavor. The ash on this cigar was bright white, and it fell about every half inch or so. The ash was very compact, and held together even after it fell in the ash tray. The burn stayed perfect the entire time, never requiring a touch up.

Now, for the big question with this cigar: Is it worth $20. Some of you know that I already had my say about this cigar, and it's price. Honestly, it was a very good cigar, but I would not put it in the same category as other cigars in that price range. For my money I would prefer the Padron 1926s, larger format Opus and Anejo, and ISOMs such as the H. Upmann Sir Winston, or the Cohiba Esplendido for the same money. I would actually spend my $20 on two My Father lanceros, over this cigar. With that said, I thought it was a very good cigar. If this was a $13 cigar, it would be well worth the money. You could tell it was made well, with good aged tobacco. I'm glad I had the opportunity to try one. Thanks Greg.

It is 2010, buy a camera that takes color pictures would ya.

It is 2010, buy a camera that takes color pictures would ya.

Brent thinks he is Humphrey Bogart when he reviews cigars so the black and white suits his style. I think he resembles Ernest Borgnine more than Bogart though.

Interesting review of this stick though. I had wondered if these were worth the money and now I know.

For cripes sake...even a cell phone has a camera that'll take color pics... :whistling:

Great review and pics Sneed. Especially like your straightforward descriptions, and comparisons.
As for the B&W photography, I like your exposures and sense of composition.

My experience is pretty much the same. Glad I could help you out with trying one!

It'll be interesting to see what some down time does.

Thanks for the great review! B&W - interesting. I bought 6, sold two, and smoked 3, so far. My first 2 were a similar experience to yours, from what I gather. My 3rd cigar, I dry-boxed it for a couple of days at around 63% and it really brought out the flavors. But I'm down to my last one and I doubt I'll buy another box. Like you said, there are SO many other boxes that are better values.

Still, I love this cigar. :love:

Great review and pics Sneed. Especially like your straightforward descriptions, and comparisons.
As for the B&W photography, I like your exposures and sense of composition. I'm so old I see in Black and White, so Breedy can suck a turnip. Now if I could only get those damn kids of my lawn

Fixed it for you :p

I bought 6 of these and just didn't think they were worth the money. The one I smoked was good, but very one dimensional. For $20 I will take a Padron 46th Anni Maduro.

Great review - :thumbs:

I got a box of these, and I have to agree pretty much completely with your review. I didn't get the sweet tastes you describe; rather, almost some wood or other, darker earthy tastes. Agree that the typical Pepin pepper blast isn't there. A very interesting, if rather one dimensional cigar.

As far as being "worth it" or not.....for me, the jury's still out. I want to smoke a couple more before I make that call. They are without a doubt a very interesting, unique, flawlessly constructed smoke.....:cool:

Cheers - B.B.S.

As for the B&W photography, I like your exposures and sense of composition. I'm so old I see in Black and White, so Breedy can suck a turnip. Now if I could only get those damn kids of my lawn

Fixed it for you :p

OK, I'll admit, I got a pretty good chuckle out of that.

Great write up on this cigar. Been smoking Pepin's for a while now have to get my hands on this one. But for the price ($20 a stick) it's a bit much. But I will definitely try it.

Funny, I had one of these last night. The guys asked me about it and I said somehting to the extent of: "It's a very nice cigar. Not $23 nice...but nice."

I even said it's about a $13 to maybe $15 smoke.

I'm not sure how these will age...it will be interesting to see.

It's a well made coffin. We all know skilled woodworking cost money. Lots of money.

Doc.