• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My First Humidor

Hylan85

Hey CP!

Figured I'd toss this out there, since joining, I've really taken the plunge. I bought my first humidor, I'm involved with some CP folks trying to pickup samplers/cigars that people are trying to sell from their collections, I'm arranging to meet Seavita, a fellow New Yorker on Thursday, and I bought a handful of cigars from JR in Paramus today also.

I printed the CP guidelines to seasoning my humidor, and I must say, it was an enjoyable and indulgent experience. I was taken over by this weird feeling that I was really putting in an effort to collect, nurture, and turn out something exceptional.

Anyways, the humidor is closed up for the next couple of days, so all I have for now is a pic of the exterior, but as soon as I open it up, I will take pics of the empty exterior, and my (slowly) growing collection.

I'd also like to take this time to yet again thank everyone here, CP is amazing!

Regards,
Daniel

Humidor:
wr1.jpg

Congrats on your humidor. It looks real nice on the outside. But like my mom always told me, "It's the beauty on the inside that really matters" :laugh: Still, very nice humidor indeed.

Congrats on your humidor. It looks real nice on the outside. But like my mom always told me, "It's the beauty on the inside that really matters" :laugh: Still, very nice humidor indeed.

I promise, more pictures are definitely to come, however, I don't want to screw up the seasoning process. I think I'm going to wait till Niko hooks me up, he and I were paired off on the Newbie sampler, and I'm sure as good as it looks now, it will look even better when it has my purchase from JR, the couple of Davidoff Millenniums I have left from the 4th, and Niko's sampler inside of it. Thanks CP!

Daniel.

I promise, more pictures are definitely to come, however, I don't want to screw up the seasoning process. I think I'm going to wait till Niko hooks me up, he and I were paired off on the Newbie sampler, and I'm sure as good as it looks now, it will look even better when it has my purchase from JR, the couple of Davidoff Millenniums I have left from the 4th, and Niko's sampler inside of it. Thanks CP!

Daniel.

Sounds like you'll have a nice seletion to choose from in no time.

Good looking humi, :thumbs: not near big enough though. Now you are hooked. Might as well look up on how to get a coolidor going and ways to hide all the money you are about to spend from your significant other. :sign:

By the way, there is no cure for the sickness. (not that we want one of course)

Congrats on starting you collection. I wish I had found this site when I first started. Would have saved me a lot of wasted time and money on smoking dog rockets.

So here's a question, and I do apologize if its been answered, however, I'm juggling doctors visits with my fiance getting her surgery in order here, just 2 weeks away now.

Once the humidor is seasoned, I intend on putting some Heartfelt beads in, I don't know which version to buy though. Any opinions?

It really depends on your tastes and sometimes even what you smoke. I tend to smoke a lot of things that seem to taste better and draw better at 65% so that is what I chose to go with.

Anything between 65 and 70 should be fine. 70 is the most common and is a good failsafe. If you find you are having problems with things staying lit or having draw issues, it may not hurt to drop it to 65%.

Sorry, let me clarify, what I meant is ...

Round Cigar Humidifier
Humidity Tube
Rectangular Humidifier
or
Mesh Bag

I wasn't sure if the form mattered, because some say they pull out excess RH, some don't, etc. The descriptions aren't uniform.

Doesn't matter really just whatever you feel will fit most comfortably in your humidor. For my desktop I use the tubes and for my vino I use a tray of them.

Pretty much what Gawl said. I have a puck in my LGC box, however given that it has two cutouts for rectangular humidifiers, I may get some empty ones to convert to bead holders. It's really about what works best for what you have.

Out of curiousity, what are the inside dimensions of the box?

Real nice looking humidor. Congrats!!

14" x 8 3/4" x 8"

Since the lid is magnetic, I think I'm going to buy two medium sized heartfelt rectangles and attach them there so nothing is consuming any cigar space. Now I just need a better Hygrometer.

Congratulations to you on your first humidor. I remember the experience myself. I started with a 50 ct. desktop back in November (2008). I followed that one up with an 150 ct. humidor in February. I recently just acquired a 275 ct. humidor in June. The number of cigars just seem to keep growing and growing and growing. Despite how it may sound it has become a great journey. Welcome to the journey.

So, I'm starting to have a few concerns, hopefully someone can address them.

1) I installed the Heartfelt Beads (65%), on the bottom of my humidor, I'm only getting 62%, is this an issue, should it be a concern?

2) My room temperature varies between 68 degrees and 80 degrees depending on who is home and the time of the day, this disparity is causing me to second guess the standard humidor purchase. Should I be concerned about this? Is it a big deal if it tops off at the high end of the 70's at random times of the day?

Please, don't judge the fact that I (wrongly) bought a standard humidor instead of a Wino-dor on the size issue, the temperature is my main concern right now.

Thank you gentlemen,
Daniel.

1) I installed the Heartfelt Beads (65%), on the bottom of my humidor, I'm only getting 62%, is this an issue, should it be a concern?

2) My room temperature varies between 68 degrees and 80 degrees depending on who is home and the time of the day, this disparity is causing me to second guess the standard humidor purchase. Should I be concerned about this? Is it a big deal if it tops off at the high end of the 70's at random times of the day?

Please, don't judge the fact that I (wrongly) bought a standard humidor instead of a Wino-dor on the size issue, the temperature is my main concern right now.

Thank you gentlemen,
Daniel.

1) Don't worry about 62%, that is about what I smoke my cigars at and find that its just about the perfect rh for me. Cigars burn, and taste better than they did in the 66-70% range.

2) I never let my cigars get above 70 degrees. Having said that you need to keep in mind a couple of things. First off, I am very anal, and I have the ability to do so because I have a Vinotemp. Did I start out with a Vinotemp? No. Neither did probably 90% of the other folks here that have a Vinotemp. So don't doubt your decision to get a humi, and don't expect anyone to judge you, we're all here to smoke cigars anyway!! Do your best to keep the temperature below 75, but if it does go above that for an hour here or an hour there don't fret too much over it, just take a smoke out and light 'er up!

Thank you gentlemen,
Daniel.

My concern about the temp would be beetles and split wrappers. It isn't good to be in constant flux like that. A little warm is ok but you're really shooting for a stable environment. I've had to resort to leaving my AC on at home (despite the extra cost) so I don't have the same problem. I'm extremely anal when it comes to this kind of stuff so that's just this guy's opinion.

Good luck and I think you're well on the right track!

Thank you gentlemen,
Daniel.
1) I wouldn't worry over a few %. That said, though, I would disperse the beads throughout your humi. I recommend putting the beads in pantyhose 'bags' in all three levels (cheap and effective). Also, depending on where your hygrometer(s) is/are makes a difference on the reading (always seems lower at the top).

2) Summertime comes and I throw all my humis in a closet (over 70 and I sweat the beetle breakout). The bedroom temp ranges from 68-75 throughout the day, but the closet temp never changes from 69. Thanks to my inefficient A/C, the thermostat is set to 75 in the living room which keeps the humi-room much cooler. Any warmer than 75 and I'm sweatin my balls off anyway.

Derek