• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My First Padron 1964

JWJ

Well I had my first Padron 1964 over the weekend. IMHO, for the price, I don't think this cigar lives up to all the hype. Though the burn was excellent, the draw was too tight. The flavor was good but not something that stands out. Maybe down the road I will try the 1926 as I hear this is better.

Jim

Tho the odds are against it, if the draw on a 64 was too tight then I'ld say you encountered a rare (exceedingly rare) construction flaw. The draw on the 64s (indeed all the Padrons I've smoked) is effortless, with huge clouds of smoke filling your mouth at the slightest hint of a pull. As far as taste that's a subjective matter. I'ld urge you not to judge the line by that 1 cigar, if construciton is what put you off. What style 74? Maddie or natural?

As a certified Padron Slut I would have to say you shouldn't give up on the PAMs. Maybe it was a storage problem or something. I have never had a bad draw on the PAM. One plugged 2000, but none in the anniversary series.

JWJ said:
Well I had my first Padron 1964 over the weekend. IMHO, for the price, I don't think this cigar lives up to all the hype. Though the burn was excellent, the draw was too tight. The flavor was good but not something that stands out. Maybe down the road I will try the 1926 as I hear this is better.

Jim
One thing I will say to you is that no cigar line can be judged by smoking just one cigar. That goes for cigars from anywhere on the planet. First, they are hand-made products that can vary from stick to stick, especially if they have not been stored/treated well.

More importantly, it takes a bit to become familiar with a cigar's nuances. Now, tastes vary of course, but lots of people love Padróns. That doesn't mean you necessarily ever will, but I'd suggest having a few of 'em to find out what other people are raving about. ;)

case in point.....

I had an AVO no2 Maduro last week that was one of the better smokes I've ever had. Super draw, tons of smoke and sweet flavors.....

I have another one I lit up right now, same box, draw is tight, so it burns too hot and the flavors aren't even close.......

Did I get the one good one out of the box, or the one bad one ???

Maybe my "draw" scale is moving towards the tight side but I have never found PAM 64's or 26's to be too tight. On the contrary, they are a little on the loose side for my liking.

Don't give up on 'em yet ;)

Personally, I prefer the taste/flavor of the 1926's over the 1964's but they are both excellent smokes. My main "problem" with them is the PRICE, they're definately high end on the price scale :0

I would say there is a flaw, which, like it has been posted previously doesn't happen too much with Padrons. Actually, I've never had a Padron with a flaw so far. Knock on wood. Anyhow, don't give up on them. They are my favorite non-ISOM. I love, both, the 1926 and 1964. Good luck.

ReeRee

coventrycat86 said:
Maybe my "draw" scale is moving towards the tight side but I have never found PAM 64's or 26's to be too tight. On the contrary, they are a little on the loose side for my liking.
I'm with Bill. I love the '26s, especially the #9M but find the draw a bit loose usually. You must have had a rare bum stick as I've never had even close to a plugged one in either series. I do keep my humis close to 60% though ;)

me three.

seems I smoke mostly padrons right now, and so far they've all had a pretty loose draw, which I guess I've gotten used to. often times when I'll smoke something else, I'll feel like I'm trying to suck a bowling ball through a straw.

as for flavor, maybe they're just not your cup of tea.
(but I still wouldn't give up on 'em quite yet!)

I had a 3000 and an anniversary this week, both were excellent burns, the 3k a little loose actually. Neither really floated my boat, but I have been off my feed a little, getting over a little cold.

Those of you who love them, what are their finer points in your opinion?

I do keep my humis close to 60% though 

Same here which may explain my experiences with PAM's as well ;)

Those of you who love them, what are their finer points in your opinion?

Actually, I'm not a huge fan of the less expensive Padrons (like the 3000's, the 4000's, etc.), They're pretty good and I would never turn one down as a gift but I don't buy them to smoke. The 64's & the 26's (maduros) have a very nice tasting wrapper, the construction and draw of these cigars are excellent and they are a nice, strong, full-bodied smoke :thumbs:

Thanks for your responses. For the record I was not suggesting that the Padron 1964 was a bad cigar. True, this was only one cigar and to make a judgment based on one cigar would be foolish. However, one must not fault a person for venting because of a cigar that did not deliver for the price.

I am willing to try this smoke again. Hey.... any of you Padron lovers out there want to donate a 1964 for a worthy cause? :D

Jim

I know I'm new here...but is this the appropriate place for an advertisement?  If so, excuse me."

Good call Marito!

Billboard Tobacco has been called out several times here on in the deal's thread. Probably trying another room in hopes he will get away with it.

Being a newbie you might not have seen the "free cigar coupon" IE a free coupon for a discount, not a free cigar.

Then there was the "deal" on Fuentes that was like 20% above MSRP, but it was still a "deal" because they cited other dealers selling them for more..

Let me give you some FREE advice Ian: the obsessive/compulsive hobbyists that participate in forums like this will not be fooled. You want to sell your cigars to the BOTLs here you will need to do three things:

1) Have a VERY competitive price +/- 10% of the lowest retailers AFTER shipping on your cigars
2) Povide EVERY customer complete satisfaction even if you end up losing a buck on the occasional sale
3) Don't think you can fool us and break the rules. At this point I would spend an extra 10% to use a vendor other than you.

What this means to you, on those Padron 3000's you are going to sell: you will need to beat $75 SHIPPED (the best price I know of) by at least 5 bucks to make me consider purchasing from you.

Wanna step up to the plate IAN? If you want to sell 3000's at $70 a box post it in the hot deals section and I bet you will get takers. If you can't do that your time spent here is a complete waste.

Your "sale" prices advertised here are usually around the same as other dealer's normal prices. You want to advertise a deal here check Holt's, JR, CI, Famous, Mike's, Atlantic, BestcigarPrices.com, buymorecigars.com, Mr Bundles, Rocky's, Phatash, Whiteash, MD, and Smokeall (I'm sure I have left out a few) BEFORE advertising your "sale" here. NO sale you have ever advertised here was better than at least one of these dealers, if not all of their prices. These dealers already have our respect and trust. You have lost the respect of people here. Significant savings and SERVICE are the only things you can do to persuade me (and I am sure many others here) to even look at your site again.

I have 32 cigar stores in the \\stogies\retailers bookmark menu on my web browser. I added 2 new ones this week. Billboard tobacco has never been bookmarked. Is there a reason it should be Ian?

edit Forgot to mention JWJ, I like my cigars with easy draw, and have never had a problem with Padron, even the much less expensive x000 line of cigars. Like everyone else has mentioned you got either the rare poorly rolled Padron or it got mishandled at some point. I rarely shell out for cigars over $6 and let me tell you when I do the first one I look for now are '64 PAMs.

Matt