• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My first pipe!

JackImpact

Went with a cob.

Will try it out soon haha, make a fool of myself.

Soon the Sherlock Holmes jokes will be coming in from my family.

DSC04596.jpg

I started with a corn cob pipe. Somewhere Alan (I think) said that those will last a long time and smoke well if you take care of them and dont' abuse them just because they are cheap.

Holmes never smoked a corncob, nor did he smoke a calabash. He was most fond of his church warden and kept his tobacco in a slipper by the fireplace. He smoked cigars far more often than a pipe.

Doc.

Just remeber that you will need to blacken the pine shank insert to get rid of the funny taste. It is an MM's curing/break-in process.

A corn cob was my first. Figured there was no sense in spending a lot of money if I wasn't going to do it regularly.

My Churchwarden is my fave now. I can sit in a chair and type or read with my hands free. The bowl rest perfectly on my chest, and I hardly have to fiddle with it.

When I took anatomy, that was called a stomach.

Doc.

I just bought a couple of MM Spools...They are real nice work and yard pipes.

Corn cob pipes are the best.
They dont absorb the taste of the tobacco so you can try different types of tobacco frequently
then with regular pipes.

Good looking pipe man. I bought one about four months ago while on vacation in Tennessee and found it was just too much work for me, but i was warned before i purchased it that it takes time. I do find it relaxing to smoke from time to time though. I hope you enjoy it brother.

I find it very hard to keep this pipe lit and the draw is super super super light. Feels too light.

Idk if I am doing something wrong or what.

I find it very hard to keep this pipe lit and the draw is super super super light. Feels too light.

Idk if I am doing something wrong or what.

Maybe you're packing the tobacco too hard? If the draw is easy when the pipe is empty, then you're packing too hard. Check out Alans guide to pipe smoking. Helped me through several newbie bowls.

The draw is easy when its empty, when its full, when its half full. Its always super easy!

You can try packing a little firmer, but are you sure you're getting the tobacco completely lit from the start? Make sure that you're covering the entire surface of the tobacco when you light up. Also, it sounds counterintuitive, but if you are puffing too much it can be harder to keep the pipe lit. You have to smoke a pipe slowly, especially a cob. This is where it becomes a real balancing act because if you smoke it too slowly, it won't stay lit. If it isn't lit from the start, you'll find it next to impossible to keep lit.

Keep working at it. If it doesn't work this time, change something up next time and see how that goes. Most people aren't going to pick up a pipe and start getting a great smoke straight away. IT takes patience, practice, and attention.

The draw is easy when its empty, when its full, when its half full. Its always super easy!

Ok now I'm confused. My old eyes read it wrong. You're not packing it hard enough then. My bad.