• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My first tar gar...

bilder

Tried a CAO CX2 today. Started off pretty nice and tasty. I am really becoming a cameroon whore. Was not as good as the H. Upmann cameroons I have tried, but was still quite good in my opinion.

Great draw, lots of smoke, what a way to earn some overtime at 2am. :)

About half way through the stick I got this god awful taste. I was wondering if the cigar had turned on me or something, but I could not figure it out. I then turned on the light in the truck and looked at the head of the cigar. EWWW! Massive tar was oozing out of it. Really ruined a relaxing thing I had going. I managed to cut off the tar build up and keep on going, but it just was not the same after that.

At least now I know what you guys are talking about when it comes to tar. Not an experince I wish to repeat.

Anyone else have tar problems with the CX2?

I know what you mean. When I smoke the various maduro Fuentes, I just make sure my tongue doesn't touch the end of the stick. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the Padron maduros.

I've heard of the tar issue, but never experienced it myself.

As for the CAO, glad you thought it was decent....I can't see to find one other than the Soprano's, that I really enjoy.

I'm a fan of the Cx2, and have never had that problem. That sucks.

A couple of weeks ago I had my first anejo, the shark #77. After the first couple of puffs, I saw tar oozing from the cut. I cut it off a bit more--was the best cigar I've had. Luckily I didnt get a taste of the tar and was able to really enjoy that one.

I enjoy the CX2 also; haven't seen tar buildup in them yet.

The only cigar that I have ever had tar with were Anejos...that really sucks!

-Fetter

Did you punch or cut it? What method? I've found more tar issues with cigars that I've punched vs. cut, so now I only cut them. YMMV. :)

Only experienced tar with the Fuente sungrown, but i enjoyed the taste, call me crazy. :rolleyes:

I know what you mean. When I smoke the various maduro Fuentes, I just make sure my tongue doesn't touch the end of the stick. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the Padron maduros.
The only cigar that I have ever had tar with were Anejos...that really sucks!

-Fetter
Only experienced tar with the Fuente sungrown, but i enjoyed the taste, call me crazy. :rolleyes:

The only time I've experienced tar was with an OpusX Phantom Maduro.

But I've heard like you guys, that Fuente maddies seem to have the same situation.

Tried a CAO CX2 today. Started off pretty nice and tasty. I am really becoming a cameroon whore. Was not as good as the H. Upmann cameroons I have tried, but was still quite good in my opinion.

Great draw, lots of smoke, what a way to earn some overtime at 2am. :)

About half way through the stick I got this god awful taste. I was wondering if the cigar had turned on me or something, but I could not figure it out. I then turned on the light in the truck and looked at the head of the cigar. EWWW! Massive tar was oozing out of it. Really ruined a relaxing thing I had going. I managed to cut off the tar build up and keep on going, but it just was not the same after that.

At least now I know what you guys are talking about when it comes to tar. Not an experince I wish to repeat.

I have smoked 4 from our split and had a slight tar problem with one of them. The other 3 smoked fine.

What causes the tar backlash? Does it have do to do with the humidity of the cigar perhaps?

I had an 858 maduro last week that I was able to wipe the brown tar off the cigar and onto my fingers the whole time I smoked it. I avoided touching it with my tongue and it was an excellent smoke!

:cool: This may be a coincidence but I have only had this happen on smokes that I felt where wetter than they needed to be. I have had a Padron 2k and some Brazil's do this to me before.

It was cut and not punched.

I will try another tonight and see if it does better.

Pretty rough making double time while smoking cigars. :)

Sounds like nasty stuff. Seems like if it happens you just wipe off and continue onward? (assuming you liked the cigar up to that point)

Sounds like nasty stuff. Seems like if it happens you just wipe off and continue onward? (assuming you liked the cigar up to that point)
No, cut off about a 1/16 in. of the head. That usually takes care of the problem.

Doc.

What causes the tar backlash? Does it have do to do with the humidity of the cigar perhaps?

It ALL has to do with the cut. The Master posted this a while back (lemme see if I can find the exact post).

I almost always punch my cigars and rarely if ever have a tar problem. When I do get a tar problem (usually with Añejos), I then cut it more with a DBG and that solves the problem.

As for the CAO, glad you thought it was decent....I can't see to find one other than the Soprano's, that I really enjoy.

Wyatt, you try the MX2 - best CAO there is IMO, and significantly cheaper than the Sopranos....

I've had a few CX2 and never had a problem with them yet.

Bill - Was this the post you meant?

-K-

Wyatt, you try the MX2 - best CAO there is IMO, and significantly cheaper than the Sopranos....

I've had a few CX2 and never had a problem with them yet.

Bill - Was this the post you meant?

-K-

No, it was a similar post where he explained more emphatically that tar was caused by the cut. I tried to find it but I coudn't.

No, it was a similar post where he explained more emphatically that tar was caused by the cut. I tried to find it but I coudn't.

Neither could I, I found 3-4 more posts where he talked about punching causing tar, but none of the posts were more detailed than the one I linked. Maybe we cna get him to respond here with more info....

-K-