• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

my good friend got "the letter"

chino

:( our box split got into the wrong hands brothers and he got a most interesting letter sent to him. Has anyone had any experience with this "letter"?

those letter writers make me :angry: ....totally inconsiderate individuals top ruin a box split like that.

So sorry to hear that. Like stated above, it's a risk / reward situation.

CigarPass is one of the few big cigar forums that has not engaged in a thread about the latest developments regarding the "letters."

There are plenty of threads out there with some being more informative than others.

If this community agrees that it is an issue that we can and should discuss, and if Rod has no objections, we can bring some of that information here.

Wilkey

I agree Wilkey, We should allow it, so that individuals can be better informed. EDUCATION IS KEY :)

Sounds like his friend got an "old-timey" sorta letter, wherein a seizure was reported having taken place. Different, I think, from the recent developments discussed on other boards...

Sounds like his friend got an "old-timey" sorta letter, wherein a seizure was reported having taken place. Different, I think, from the recent developments discussed on other boards...

SOunds that way to me too.
At the same time, some discussion of these issues might not be a bad idea.
Comes close to being violative of policy. I look forward to Rod's input.

I don't agree. The activity has always been illegal and the chance of confiscation or more extreme measures have always been there. It is a fool who spends his or her money without knowing the risks. If you did then I don't want you here anyway. What the letter says or doesn't say and what will happen is the price of playing the game. It doesn't really matter until it happens to you.

If this community agrees that it is an issue that we can and should discuss, and if Rod has no objections, we can bring some of that information here.

Wilkey

I don't agree. The activity has always been illegal and the chance of confiscation or more extreme measures have always been there. It is a fool who spends his or her money without knowing the risks. If you did then I don't want you here anyway. What the letter says or doesn't say and what will happen is the price of playing the game. It doesn't really matter until it happens to you.

Wilkey

I'm with AVB on this one. What one does in this regard is his own cross to bear. The laws are known, the risks are known, any discussion of any letter just seems unnecessary.

Also, while a discussion about these letters is not source discussion per se, it often leads to it.

I suppose if someone wanted to put a sticky up top with info on these letters and what they mean (although that information should be blatantly obvious :rolleyes: ) it might educate some people that need the education...

It is all up to Rod, however.

My noob opinion.

Here is a quoted post from another cigar forum...

Today a friend of mine called me with news that he had received a letter from the Dept of Treasury. Of course this letter is the same one that everyone is dreading! I had a chance to read the main letter and an enclosed document that taught you about the Cuban Embargo (its amazing how many people don't know about it). With that said, a local attorny was contacted (a friend of my friend) that deals with contracts and so forth. He said to NOT ignore the letter and that it will not go away but, to simply write the following:

" I have no information responsive to your request but, if I did, I would decline to produce such information under my 5th Amendment rights."

He said that he dealt with a client that received the same letter, and in his case, when he answered with that response to the Dept. of Treasury, they left him alone.

So for those that have received the letter, and to those that dread it, write the above sentence.

I hope that helps. Other than that I don't think this is something we need to discuss here.

Cuban cigars = illegal to US Citizens, it is as simple as that.

And those of us who play with fire have a good chance to be burned.