• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

my good friend got "the letter"

Here is a quoted post from another cigar forum...

Today a friend of mine called me with news that he had received a letter from the Dept of Treasury. Of course this letter is the same one that everyone is dreading! I had a chance to read the main letter and an enclosed document that taught you about the Cuban Embargo (its amazing how many people don't know about it). With that said, a local attorny was contacted (a friend of my friend) that deals with contracts and so forth. He said to NOT ignore the letter and that it will not go away but, to simply write the following:

" I have no information responsive to your request but, if I did, I would decline to produce such information under my 5th Amendment rights."

He said that he dealt with a client that received the same letter, and in his case, when he answered with that response to the Dept. of Treasury, they left him alone.

So for those that have received the letter, and to those that dread it, write the above sentence.

I hope that helps. Other than that I don't think this is something we need to discuss here.

Cuban cigars = illegal to US Citizens, it is as simple as that.

And those of us who play with fire have a good chance to be burned.

Shawn - why didn't you wait until Rod chimed in on this issue? Clearly he has some sensitivities - didn't you read his sticky posted in the trades thread? ???

This board is not, nor should be, a clearing house of information for illegal activites. There's plenty of information on this subject elsewhere... ;)

And this has been one of the problems with newer members here. They want everything they can get NOW... All of this stuff is out there, but it's literally a mine field. Maybe it truly is best to read more and post less...

I look at it this way... If ya don't know what you're doing, ya shouldn't be playing with fire. Ask Swissy...

I don't really see a problem with posting a lawyer's advice regarding "the letter" George. It isn't telling anyone how to circumvent the law, and is only applicable for someone who has "gotten burned".

As far as the rest of your post, good and very true stuff there! :thumbs:

I've put a lot of thought into this, and I have decided to allow an open discussion thread dedicated to the legality of purchasing Cuban cigars. There is absolutely nothing wrong with allowing civil discussion about US Law and the ramifications of purchasing contraband. The thread may be referenced for educational purposes only.

We have had, and still have, a rule in place which prohibits the sale of Cuban cigars in the the trading forum. As long as there is an embargo, we will continue to enforce this rule. CigarPass does not promote any illegal activity. The discussion of Custom's letters, US Law, etc is legal, and will be allowed in one thread.

If someone chooses to post a letter they personally received, then so be it. Custom's is already aware of that person's illegal activity, since they sent them the letter, there is nothing to hide. I would suggest blacking out any personal information if you do decide to post such material.

Again, this thread is for EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. We are not a place to help you break the law, or help you acquire illegal merchandise. There are a lot of people out there who are 1.) Curious about the letters, and want to learn more about the current situation. 2.) Have received letters from Custom's and are seeking help on how to respond.

Bottom line: Buying Cuban Cigars is illegal, and WE ADVISE YOU DO NOT DO THIS.

As long as it is done all in one thread, then I see nothing wrong with it.

Nicely balanced decision Rod. :)

I would further suggest that if anyone is posting copies of letters, that they black out the names of any sources that might appear. It is my understanding that with the new generation of what I will call "circumstantial evidence" letters that vendor names are mentioned.

When I said to do a 'search', this is what I was referring to: linky

Wilkey is correct - most other discussions relate to more detailed items on other boards.

Rod - thanks for clearing up the issue. :thumbs:

update: Buddy sent back the letter and instead of writing " candles" on it he checked the box that says he forfeits any interest,claim,responsibilty in the contents and allows customs to do with it what they please. I'm just paraphrasing here so it may not be word for word

Good call, Rod (like you care what I think!)
I look forward to a lively (CIVIL!) debate.
Also, a gentle reminder: This conversation could easily lead into others that we would prefer not to have, politics, sources, etc. Let's all keep that in mind, shall we?

Also, a gentle reminder: This conversation could easily lead into others that we would prefer not to have, politics, sources, etc. Let's all keep that in mind, shall we?

DAMN! ever since hildagohabanos.com and cuban-cigar-deal.com went belly up, I lost my sources. How do you expect me to get my Koobans now?

You're a mean man Josh... :(

Thanks, but no need for "debate". The thread should be for informational purposes only.

update: Buddy sent back the letter and instead of writing " candles" on it he checked the box that says he forfeits any interest,claim,responsibilty in the contents and allows customs to do with it what they please. I'm just paraphrasing here so it may not be word for word

Your friend is already busted, so why would he write candles on it? ???

Thanks, but no need for "debate". The thread should be for informational purposes only.

Sorry, good call, I really didn't even mean debate, my brain said "discussion."

Damn lawyers.

You can debate (discuss) civilly or not, I'm with AVB on this. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. It's very simplistic, but it doesn't need to be debated (discussed). You can look at the trading with the enemy statute and read into it what you may but it is still illegal. So if you do get a letter that your goods were confiscated or another letter with a different slant to it, deal with it!

Just to let everyone know I have some grey market electronics and some farmed rolled cigars if anyone is interested. I’m sorry I just sold the bridge to Brooklyn, but I can let you have a deal on the George Washington Bridge if you want. Remember I have a 100% rating on e-bay and I do accept e-gold and other like sources of payment.

My third cousin Epifanio has some really good connections on most any type of merchandise so if you need last minute Holiday Gifts he is your man. He is by the way a Trauma Sturgeon Level I!

PS I'm bored at work today!

Rod,

Thanks for giving us your considered position on this. If it is acceptable, I will be back later this afternoon to start a new thread under the terms you've laid out. I've been following this situation since the beginning of the most recent flare-up and I'm prepared to present digests on this topic. I will also take your recommendations and post some ground rules for the discussion based on your guidelines.

If the discussion deviates from these guidelines, I'll personally recommend that the thread be locked.

Wilkey

Rod,

Thanks for giving us your considered position on this. If it is acceptable, I will be back later this afternoon to start a new thread under the terms you've laid out. I've been following this situation since the beginning of the most recent flare-up and I'm prepared to present digests on this topic. I will also take your recommendations and post some ground rules for the discussion based on your guidelines.

If the discussion deviates from these guidelines, I'll personally recommend that the thread be locked.

Wilkey
...hear, hear.... :thumbs:

Knowledge is a very good thing.... :cool:

Thanks, Wilkey - B.B.S.

Here's my take:

1) Order Cuban cigars

2) Customs seizes your order

3) You get a letter from Customs telling you that you've misbehaved.

4) Vendor issues refund or resends cigars.

5) You pray that your future orders don't get caught until the Embargo comes down.

6) Embargo comes down. All is forgiven.

I'd suggest changing your name, moving to another country and starting up that brothel you've always wanted to own.

Here's my take:

1) Order Cuban cigars

5) You pray that your future orders don't get caught until the Embargo comes down.

LMAO!

Here's my take:

1) Order Cuban cigars

You forgot to add that you're facing sizable fines and possible jail time, and that you have broken the law, not misbehaved. Perhaps you didn't notice earlier when Rod stated that this community does not in any way condone the purchase of Cuban goods.