• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My igloodor

firefighterduke

Needless to say, I'm new. I did some research on humidors and read that, "if you dont have $300+ to spend on a humidor, its better to make your own functional igloodor or coolerdor than to buy a cheap humidor." So I did some research and I found some plans on an inexpensive igloodor (link below). I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions to improve on this. I ordered the 72% Boveda in place of the 65%. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post and for any advice offered.

www.igloodor.com

It ain't rocket science;

• Buy a cooler. Buy a big one.
  • Buy some 65% beads from Heartfelt. Buy more than you need. Buy his nice little socks to put them in.
  • Buy a digital hygrometer from Heartfelt while you're at it.
  • Rinse the cooler out with very hot water. Tap hot, not boiling hot.
  • Let the cooler air dry with the lid open for a day. If you're somewhere where the sun is out, put it outside.
  • Salt test your hygro while the cooler is airing out.
  • Put the cigars, beads, and hygro in the cooler
  • Close the lid
  • ....profit.

It ain't rocket science;

• Buy some 65% beads from Heartfelt. Buy more than you need. Buy his nice little socks to put them in.
  • Let the cooler air dry with the lid open for a day. If you're somewhere where the sun is out, put it outside.
  • Close the lid
  • ....profit.

To the point! I wish I had read this when I started! Thanks Tom.........

Good info to have. Think I'm gonna be starting a coolidor here pretty soon

Boveda are an excellent product, but don't be lulled into a false sense of security. You want to check your stock at least once a month minimum.

I use a cooler, and it works fine. have large aquarium media mesh bags holding the beads.

One thing that often perplexes me is how some folks miss the statement on how the beads should be no thicker than one inch. (I need to see if they still have that printed on the website)

I will see bags packed to 3 or 4 inches in diameter. I would think that it is better to use more bags, and be able to maintain the one inch thickness.

It ain't rocket science;

• Close the lid
  • ....debt now that you have 60+ quarts of space to fill with cigars.

Fixed it for ya. :laugh:
BBS speaks words of wisdom, clear and concise. Dollar value for storage space, a cooler is the way to go.

I wonder if anyone in here has noticed flavor differences between a traditional cedar lined humidor to a plastic cooler? If not, whey even bother with a traditional humidor?

Boveda are an excellent product, but don't be lulled into a false sense of security. You want to check your stock at least once a month minimum.

I use a cooler, and it works fine. have large aquarium media mesh bags holding the beads.

One thing that often perplexes me is how some folks miss the statement on how the beads should be no thicker than one inch. (I need to see if they still have that printed on the website)

I will see bags packed to 3 or 4 inches in diameter. I would think that it is better to use more bags, and be able to maintain the one inch thickness.

I didn't know that Monk.. Thanks for the advice and it makes sense. Seems like my 2-3 inch diameter bag doesn't hold as well as it should.. Course it is cold and I have the heat running...

I wonder if anyone in here has noticed flavor differences between a traditional cedar lined humidor to a plastic cooler? If not, whey even bother with a traditional humidor?

Most coolidor users I know use cedar trays, cigar boxes, cedar dividers, or a combination of those cedar products in their cooler.

The only difference I notice is that the coolidor holds RH a lot better than any of my desktops.

From Heartfelt Site:

"A great variety of containers are possible. You can use a Heartfelt drawstring mesh bag, Heartfelt Humi Tubes, place the beads in a shot glass or small dish, put them is a leftover container with holes drilled in the lid, nylon stockings (be careful stealing them from your wife or significant other) or any other container. The main point of whatever container you choose is to have the greatest amount of surface area as possible. If possible the beads should be no more than 1 to 1 ½ inches deep, this way they will work the best."

Still there in the Tutorial/Help section

There are none. The cedar in your humidor was chosen because it's inert, aroma wise when it comes to cigar storage. Coolers provide as good of care for your cigars as can be had. They just aren't real pretty to look at.

A very well known humidor maker, a guy that makes fantastic (and very expensive) cabinets said it in these forums; "...anything other than a cooler is a luxury....".

From Heartfelt Site:

"A great variety of containers are possible. You can use a Heartfelt drawstring mesh bag, Heartfelt Humi Tubes, place the beads in a shot glass or small dish, put them is a leftover container with holes drilled in the lid, nylon stockings (be careful stealing them from your wife or significant other) or any other container. The main point of whatever container you choose is to have the greatest amount of surface area as possible. If possible the beads should be no more than 1 to 1 ½ inches deep, this way they will work the best."

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! I have 1lb split between 2 mesh bags and they've actually been working pretty well at maintaining 65%. They are a bit thicker than 1- 1 1/2 inches but I'm wondering now if I get some nylons and separate them out a bit more I might be able to go longer between recharging periods...

Thanks again!

I just went to the local cigar shop and got some sheets of cedar from some empty cases that he had.

I just went to the local cigar shop and got some sheets of cedar from some empty cases that he had.
Store your cigars in the boxes they came it. Pick up a couple of cedar boxes for singles.

IMHO....lining the cooler does NOTHING except take up valuable space. Before my cabinet, I ran five coolers.....no linings, no problems.

From Heartfelt Site:

I guess I need to spread my beads out better. Thanks for the info.
Tom

Store your cigars in the boxes they came it. Pick up a couple of cedar boxes for singles.

IMHO....lining the cooler does NOTHING except take up valuable space. Before my cabinet, I ran five coolers.....no linings, no problems.

Agreed! Just the boxes they came in are fine.

I would add maybe getting some cedar trays to protect your singles from damage that can happen if left to roll around loose would be a good thing. A Tupperware tray will work as well.

My link

I also would recommend possibly trying to find a cooler that has slots molded into the insides. It makes a nice way for you to be able to cut out shelves that you can slide in and out to adjust heights. You have to stand the cooler on it end, but it makes it much easier to dig through finding your cigars.

Humidor-Coolidor009-1-1.jpg

Edit: Shit! Should have read your link before posting. :blush: :laugh:

Agreed! Just the boxes they came in are fine.

I would add maybe getting some cedar trays to protect your singles from damage that can happen if left to roll around loose would be a good thing. A Tupperware tray will work as well.

My link

I also would recommend possibly trying to find a cooler that has slots molded into the insides. It makes a nice way for you to be able to cut out shelves that you can slide in and out to adjust heights. You have to stand the cooler on it end, but it makes it much easier to dig through finding your cigars.

Humidor-Coolidor009-1-1.jpg

Edit: Shit! Should have read your link before posting. :blush: :laugh:

I was always told that if you want to age your cigars (store them for many years) that the cedar helps with the flavor ??!!

Couple of things BBS missed:

1. Use a new cooler, not the one on the back of your boat that you store fish in during the summer
2. Wipe it down with distilled water, depending on your city some tap water may have some impurities that might show up later as mold on your cigars
3. When you select your cooler, choose one where the lid closes with an ooomphh...not a thud. The ooomphh cooler has a better seal.

Hope this helps, John

Couple of things BBS missed:

1. Use a new cooler, not the one on the back of your boat that you store fish in during the summer
2. Wipe it down with distilled water, depending on your city some tap water may have some impurities that might show up later as mold on your cigars
3. When you select your cooler, choose one where the lid closes with an ooomphh...not a thud. The ooomphh cooler has a better seal.

Hope this helps, John

Johnny, what if he likes the taste and smell of ole' fish on his cigars, LOL......... :D :thumbs: :p

J/k, got point as well with wiping it down with distilled water before using it.