• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My New Humi and what I have done help needed :)

Ok so it has only been about 24 hours since I switched from 2 shot glasses and gel. To one shot glass and beads. (70% beads) And the RH has dropped from 65% down to 62%. Is this something I should be concerned with? I just assume that it hasent fully seasoned yet and I have more waiting left than I thought?

Don't obsess with this, it detracts from your enjoyment of the hobby! Fill the thing up with cigars and you'll be surprised on how well the humidity holds. YMMV

I have thought about this. It is not something I will obsess about but I want to get it right the first time to not waste anything. (money/Sticks) Once I have everything set up well I will chill about it lol. But just I want to get it right. As of now I only have a few smokes in a travel Humi. So once I get it down I want to order 50 or so smokes offline if I do that before the Humi Is ready I may waste some serious cash lol. Thanks.
Don't obsess with this, it detracts from your enjoyment of the hobby! Fill the thing up with cigars and you'll be surprised on how well the humidity holds. YMMV

IMHO a 62%rh is fine for cigar storage. You may see the rh go up or down after you introduce more cigars to your humidor. Up or down depends on how wet or dry the cigars you put in are. After awhile it will stabilize again. The more cigars you have in your humidor, the more stable the rh. The cigars themselves will also act as humidification devices. Don't sweat the small stuff, buy some cigars and enjoy.

I like this answer sounds pretty consistent not to worry about it. I suppose I will make a large cigar order online soon and fill it up. On that note the RH went up to 63% today :)
So I took out the shot glass and all thats in there now is the Beads and 2 cigars. Will it continue to season if it isnt finished? Im assuming that it will I just wanted clarification.
IMHO a 62%rh is fine for cigar storage. You may see the rh go up or down after you introduce more cigars to your humidor. Up or down depends on how wet or dry the cigars you put in are. After awhile it will stabilize again. The more cigars you have in your humidor, the more stable the rh. The cigars themselves will also act as humidification devices. Don't sweat the small stuff, buy some cigars and enjoy.

Update. I just went in the Humi to get a stick for tonight and its now reading 59%. That worries me a little I think I should still have the shot glasses in there maybe my Humi Is not finish seasoning. What do you guys think? I have 70% beads and about double the amount that I need. Also I tested the seal on my Humi and its very very good.

Back when I was first starting out I experienced the same problem. At first I thought the beads were out of whack, so I saturated a sponge and put it in a gym sock. The problem is then my humidity got crazy high, like 69.43% so I put in another sock filled with calrose rice (unwashed) but strangely that didn't help much. Finally I had enough and set up my phone on a dead man's trigger connected to the lid (ask tone-ny iif you are curious how this works) so the video would start recording if the lid was opened. Sure enough, the next day the humidity was at 64.76% so I checked the video. What I saw horrified me... it was gnomes! Have you checked into the possibility of a gnome problem in your home?

Not sure if this was a smart ass comment or to make me ROFL but it in fact did make me ROFL. Thanks lol
Back when I was first starting out I experienced the same problem. At first I thought the beads were out of whack, so I saturated a sponge and put it in a gym sock. The problem is then my humidity got crazy high, like 69.43% so I put in another sock filled with calrose rice (unwashed) but strangely that didn't help much. Finally I had enough and set up my phone on a dead man's trigger connected to the lid (ask tone-ny iif you are curious how this works) so the video would start recording if the lid was opened. Sure enough, the next day the humidity was at 64.76% so I checked the video. What I saw horrified me... it was gnomes! Have you checked into the possibility of a gnome problem in your home?

To me it sounds like the seal on your humidor is probably not as tight as it could be, but that shouldn't be too big an issue if the seal is at least decent. We're not talking tupperware here, right? If I were you, I'd put the shot glass of distilled water back in your humi. I don't know how big your humidor is, but even with a 10 count humidor 2 cigars is not very much. Ideally, your humidor should about 50% full at all times to maintain the best level of stability. Leave the shot glass in with your hydrated beads until you have enough cigars to at least fill half the humidor, then take the shot glass out. I think you will notice great stability then. Also...don't open and close the humi unless you are getting a cigar. Opening and closing excessively can lead to high or low rh depending on the external environment. Good luck.

Ok so I keep the cigar in but still use the shotglass until I have the smokes to fill it? Should I spend the money on the smokes if it isnt ready tho? This sorta has me at a loss lol Pls. respond thanks.
Edit-Sorry to answer your questions No not tupperware its a decent humi and all the tests show it seals well.
And it is about a 100 cigar humi give or take.
quote name='thechenman' timestamp='1294339858' post='1018121']
To me it sounds like the seal on your humidor is probably not as tight as it could be, but that shouldn't be too big an issue if the seal is at least decent. We're not talking tupperware here, right? If I were you, I'd put the shot glass of distilled water back in your humi. I don't know how big your humidor is, but even with a 10 count humidor 2 cigars is not very much. Ideally, your humidor should about 50% full at all times to maintain the best level of stability. Leave the shot glass in with your hydrated beads until you have enough cigars to at least fill half the humidor, then take the shot glass out. I think you will notice great stability then. Also...don't open and close the humi unless you are getting a cigar. Opening and closing excessively can lead to high or low rh depending on the external environment. Good luck.
[/quote]

Once you start to fill your humi with sticks it should settle down a bit more. Don't forget, your RH will fluctuate with the weather. Don't worry so much.

First, read this thread : Link

Second, relax.

Beat me to it! That thread basically tells you EVERYTHING you need to know about not getting worked up over your humidor (esp if you follow the humi set up guide).

All good advice here. Take it from a fellow newb! I spent about a week getting bent out of shape when I got my first humi and then I did a bit of reading here and found out that its not worth it to over-analyze and get too worked up over swings in RH, esp. when the humi is new. Get the beads and a shot glass in there and let it all stabilize out. Time and patience is your friend here.

However, to me there is only one solution.. you need a hell of a lot more cigars! :laugh:

Read up, relax, enjoy the hobby! Don't make it into a science experiment or a logarithm. :thumbs:

Welcome and enjoy!

Sorry, I didnt realize I was being as annoying as that dude in that thread until I read it. Again sorry lol. I will chill out and if it dosent stable out in a week think about a cooler.
First, read this thread : Link

Second, relax.

Beat me to it! That thread basically tells you EVERYTHING you need to know about not getting worked up over your humidor (esp if you follow the humi set up guide).

All good advice here. Take it from a fellow newb! I spent about a week getting bent out of shape when I got my first humi and then I did a bit of reading here and found out that its not worth it to over-analyze and get too worked up over swings in RH, esp. when the humi is new. Get the beads and a shot glass in there and let it all stabilize out. Time and patience is your friend here.

However, to me there is only one solution.. you need a hell of a lot more cigars! :laugh:

Read up, relax, enjoy the hobby! Don't make it into a science experiment or a logarithm. :thumbs:

Welcome and enjoy!

Sorry, I didnt realize I was being as annoying as that dude in that thread until I read it. Again sorry lol. I will chill out and if it dosent stable out in a week think about a cooler.

Yeah man, you were starting to stress ME out, and I don't even have your humidor! Just chill out, and if all else fails, use Fill's blueprints for a surveillance system on your new humidor.

Lol thanks. It is holding a steady 61% which seems low being I have 70% beads. AND I have 2 shotglasses of distilled H2o in there. But I have some sticks on the way and I even got another 1/2Lb of beads so if that dosent work I will be switching to a coolidor lol so wish me luck. And btw thanks to this forum I am unstressed about it so for that I thank you all.

Yeah man, you were starting to stress ME out, and I don't even have your humidor! Just chill out, and if all else fails, use Fill's blueprints for a surveillance system on your new humidor.

I just kept repeating the word logarithm until my humidity stabilized.

Good luck with your new humi, and remember to relax and give it time.

-Jimmy

Not sure if this was a smart ass comment or to make me ROFL but it in fact did make me ROFL. Thanks lol

Did you really actually roll on the floor laughing? If you did that could have bumped your humidor causing the beads to shift and thus lowered your humidity. Bead shift can cause major fluctuations in RH and should be avoided.

Ha. I guess it was more of a LOL than a ROFL. But even if I did roll on floor it would be ok being I keep my humidor off the floor ;). Anyway I filled it with smokes and its been holding between 62 and 65% for like 4 days. So I assume that the lower RH is just because of winter. But it is still holding my sticks at a good RH!!!

Did you really actually roll on the floor laughing? If you did that could have bumped your humidor causing the beads to shift and thus lowered your humidity. Bead shift can cause major fluctuations in RH and should be avoided.

Back