• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My six step program.

SkyStorm82

Ok, I think I got this about right but I'm still a newb. So what do you all think?

1. I plan on buying this humidor. Here's the description and some pictures.

"Ebony from the Ebonaceae family is found worldwide in hundreds of varieties. A one hundred year old tree would be just 50 feet tall and one and one half feet around. The color varies from black (Gabon Ebony - Africa) to dark chocolate brown with dramatic black, beige and grey streaks (Macassar ebony - Indonesia) to green (Jamaican ebony)."

* Holds 200 Cigars
* Solid Spanish Wood Construction
* Classic Dome Lid Design
* Genuine Ebony Wood Veneer with Walnut Trim Around Edges
* Chrome Plated Flush Carry Handles
* Chrome Knob on Lid for Easy Open and Close
* Corner Quadrant Hinges & Piano Hinges
* Lock and Key with Tassel
* 1 Round Hygrometer
* 2 Large Rectangle Humidifiers
* SureSeal® Technology Insures Proper Lid Seal on Closure
* Lined with Premium Kiln Dried Spanish Cedar
* 2 Lift Out Trays with Divider, 2 Dividers at the Bottom
* Spanish Cedar Aerator for Improved Circulation
* Engraveable Brass Nameplate
* High Gloss Lacquer Finish

Capacity: 200+ Cigars
Dimensions (Inside): 18"W x 12 1/8"D x 10 3/8"H
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b279/sky.../HUM-200EB1.gif
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b279/sky.../HUM-200EB2.gif
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b279/sky.../HUM-200EB3.gif

2. The two rectangle humidifiers you can see in the second picture will be replaced with these from heartfelt Industries.
http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/proddet...rod=AH%5F2%5F65
(I just hope they fit...if not, maybe I should attach them on the outside of the present humidifiers???)

3. Replace the hygrometer with this one from Heartfelt Industries.
http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/proddet...5FROUND%5FCombo
I would try to take off the analog one but if I can't, I'll just attach the digital one right above the analog hygrometer.

4. Charge 75% of the beads in both trays with distilled water.

5. Put a shot glass with distilled water in the bottom of the humidor.

6. Close lid and let season for 7 days.

That sounds a like a plan......except if you're like the rest of us, that 200+ humidor is going to fill up fast. I know you might be thinking, "I hardly smoke cigars.....so this will last me a lifetime." Well, I hardly smoke them either....but when people start gifting you with new sticks to try, and you start buying different fivers online, that 200 will fill up quick!

But I digress....

I think you're off to the right thing.....humidor looks good, your plan to season the humidor seems right, and all you'll need now is the smokes to fill it with. Keep in mind that the more empty your humidor, the more tougher it may be to keep humid (which is another reason why you'll be encouraged to keep it as full as you can)!

I'll agree with the above, these dudes made me go to walmart and scoop a 120 qt cooler to compensate for my horrid storage conditions.
Seriously, it was really worthwhile for 45$ (cooler) plus beads, some cedar for shelves and some trading for empty boxes..

Cheers,
Rob

Sounds like you're ready to go.

Well researched and presented. This may be only your second post, but it's the type of quality question that more new guys ought to emulate. Well done.

Wilkey

That sounds a like a plan......except if you're like the rest of us, that 200+ humidor is going to fill up fast. I know you might be thinking, "I hardly smoke cigars.....so this will last me a lifetime." Well, I hardly smoke them either....but when people start gifting you with new sticks to try, and you start buying different fivers online, that 200 will fill up quick!

I totally see what your saying and I agree. They say the same thing about gun safes. That humidor is already 200 bucks so it'll have to do for the time being. I plan to get a coolidor some time in the not to distant(not near though either) future. I'm not just new to this site....I'm new to the whole cigar thing in general. Now that I'm getting a good grasp on taking care of the cigars....It's time to start learning what other ones I like to smoke.

Sounds like you're ready to go.

Well researched and presented. This may be only your second post, but it's the type of quality question that more new guys ought to emulate. Well done.

Wilkey

Thank you for the kind words. I spent several nights reading tons of current and past posts on here and two other cigar forums.

If I were you I would check out this humidor. It is the same design, just with a different finish. The one I am pointing you to is discounted because it's either imperfect or damaged. I ordered is one from them awhile ago (damaged) and was pleased to find the damage is extremely minor and not noticeable unless you look for it (one corner was slightly damaged)

It is only $119 and by entering KOMP-QSA1HQ as a coupon you get %10 percent off.

Also, mine didn't have the analog hygrometer or humidifiers attached when it arrived. They came in there own boxes with magnets to hold them in place. Replacing them should be really easy.

17 months later....That original humidor is full. A 5 Vegas Tradicion Humidor 100 ct is full, as well as 2 coleman 48 qt coolerdors (another 1 that is half full), and now.....

This should be arriving on Monday.Trivoli Cabinet Humidor.

I just won a large Hydra on the devil site so I'm going to use that along with a pound of 65% beads in the new cabinet.

All because a buddy at work gave me a Gurkha Centurian. My wallet hasn't been the same since.

HA! Nice time capsule thread! Good to see the earlier predictions about your space needs came true!

Trey

All of these guys are steering you right. I am not nearly as hardcore as some but a few months ago I went from several small humidors to a cooler. The cooler filled in NO time and that was before I joined this site. Now last night I just went on Ebay and bid on a 28 bottle Vinotemp. I am working on a small walk in humidor in the basement but for now the cooler and Vinotemp (if I win it) will just sit in the room. So the moral is "GO BIGGER".