• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My thoughts about not buying cheapies

dixieland_conjunction

If it isn't dixieland, it isn't REAL jazz
I'm not really in to resolutions, because I believe that if something needs to be changed....today is as good as any. However, since I made a decision earlier this week, it only seems appropriate to call it a New Year's Resolution.

Basically, I'm through testing cheapies - the daunting task of looking for a great everyday smoke.

#1 I "resolved" not to buy anything else I know nothing about or anything advertisied as a "great deal" AKA doggie.. In my quest for the ever-illusive everyday smoke, I've spent many $100's on samplers and 5-packs from the devil's site and JR's. Many of these have been tossed and/or slipped in the back of my bombs. However, without these purchases, I would have never found my current favorites and I'd still be smoking only what I liked before joining CP (I have an old favorites in my profile).

The good news is that I have found two very inexpensive sticks I can enjoy day after day: Bolivar Furete Petit Maduro and ERDM Cafe' Noirs (maduro).

#2 I know some of you will laugh, but I will not buy another cigar until at least March. In winter I'll have about 1-2/week. I bought 7 boxes last month (6 were of my current favorites and 1 was the Christmas ISOM split) - you do the math. I'll have aplenty.

My money has its eye on other things - like finishing the kitchen renovation I started last summer, converting my guest bedroom into an office and that shiny new turntable in the audio catalog :D.

Just my venting....carry on :)

Cheers,
Dixie

I hear ya! If I wouldn't have so much money invested in the devil's site I could buy some of Horse's samplers. I wish you well and I hope to be able to do the same.

You make an excellent point Dixie. I'm always in search of that great "inexpensive" smoke and I've taken a chance on a few from JR's and CI but I wind up with more duds than winners. Fortunately, I've found some ceegars I REALLY like and pretty much spend my money on them only.

Be patient and wait for some of the veterans around here like Horse and Joe M. to offer some of their stash for sale. Much better deals than CI, JR's or "The Devil" CBid :D

LMAO I must agree. I am done buying cigars to try out. Unfortunately I still own many more than I am interested in smoking, now that I have my faves.

Ah well. We'll work on it.

Damn! I started to read your profile, I didn't realize you put your dissertation in there! :p

Well you know what they say resolutions are made to be broken ;) Good luck Bill :D

BenjieV :D

statelandman said:
Dixie - Is that why don't no longer have your mail address in your profile?
No, my not posting my address is not related to this. In fact, I've usually been bombed with very nice sticks. In short, I took to heart the discussions of truly not expecting anything in return for bombs. Anyone sending me something will receive no more than my appreciation and gratitude - perfectly satisfactory in my eyes. If I or you expect anything, ask for a trade (which I occasinally do - recently with Lumberg and MilesMingusMonk).

I am a member of this site to gain others' knowledge not sticks. If someone wants to bomb me badly enough, they can find my address I'm sure - I've dealt with at least 1/2 of our active members.

Cheers,
Dixie

dixieland_conjunction said:
statelandman said:
Dixie - Is that why don't no longer have your mail address in your profile?
I took to heart the discussions of truly not expecting anything in return for bombs. Anyone sending me something will receive no more than my appreciation and gratitude - perfectly satisfactory in my eyes. If I or you expect anything, ask for a trade (which I occasinally do - recently with Lumberg and MilesMingusMonk).
A)

Thanks for the trade!

B)

I wish more people took the "nothing in return" attitude....though I must admit I did have the "get something in return" attitude at first.

C)

Having your AIP helps when you do trades/box splits/other transactions so you don't have to repeatedly PM your addy. That's why I have it. Haven't been bombed in a while and that's fine with me.

Cheapies are always going to be that.. cheap... why test em?

You should treat yourself to a fine cigar..

Anything by Alec Bradley or Carlos Torano is a great start.. they both have lots of inexpensive Smokes and they are as good as smokes twice the price.

:thumbs:

I agree... and its funny, but I knew exactly what site he was talking about when he commented on "the devils site" :D It sucked me in too.

Just a note on inexpensive smokes, alec bradley and others... Just before new years eve- I was in my local liquor store buying champagne and whatnot... I ventured into their humidor- just to peek, and saw some AMAZING deals on good cigars... The alec bradleys (cameroon, corojo, and maduro's the entire trilogy line) were $3/ea! They are $6/ea at the cigar shop. The Carlos Taranos exodus 1959 were $4.50/ea. Some others, but I can't remember now.

Just a hint, don't bypass your local wine/liquor shop, you may find a deal when you're not looking for one :)

:thumbs: Toaster

Padron 3000's, nat. and mad., can be found for ~$3 a stick.
otherwise, also like Mayorgas.

both are cheap (and good), which leaves extra $$ for some more costly things

There are a lot of cheap sticks out there that would really surprise you! ;) Mayorga maddies, Onyx reserve, Plestica {sp} TKO's, FDAA'S..Ect. Even some bundled cigars, check out Mr. Bundle’s web site. He has some sungrowns that are $40 and are a great smoke! :thumbs:

they can find my address

Ha Ha, I've got dixie's address from a pass list I was in with him!!!

I'm anal, I keep things like that. :D

Oh yeah toaster, Gibu and lots of others talk about THE DEVIL quite often and it is a VERY FITTING name for it. I think they even refer to it as that on other sites as well.

And MD
You should treat yourself to a fine cigar..
I agree with you and would highly recommend that people buy premium cigars from MDCigars :D

Toaster said:
...I was in my local liquor store... I ventured into their humidor- just to peek, and saw some AMAZING deals on good cigars... The Carlos Toranos exodus 1959 were $4.50/ea...
Yeah, I was amazed to see at the one I frequent...Torano Silver & Signatures priced at $3.25 - 3.75. These are the same folks who sell their Fuente's (Nothing but shade grown) at double to double and a half MSRP.

Horse said:
Toaster said:
...I was in my local liquor store... I ventured into their humidor- just to peek, and saw some AMAZING deals on good cigars... The Carlos Toranos exodus 1959 were $4.50/ea...
Yeah, I was amazed to see at the one I frequent...Torano Silver & Signatures priced at $3.25 - 3.75. These are the same folks who sell their Fuente's (Nothing but shade grown) at double to double and a half MSRP.
:p I know! I've only tried the Trilogy's and Tarano's recently. So I wasnt 100% sure of the going retail price. But I knew $3 ea was cheap (trilogys)... so after I left the Liquor store I called 2 of the cigar shops I visit regularly- and they confirmed prices of around $6 ea, half price is a deal in my opinion- especially for a walk in and buy'em deal :)

I recently discovered the Occidental Havana Sun Grown- I'm impressed! Great little smoke, can be expensive depending on where you get them, but they shouldn't be too hard to find for around $3'ish a stick.

I've had a few "no-namers" or unfamiliar namers I was quite happy with too.... Condega, Nicarao, Indepencia, to name a few. Those are all good full bodied, lots of flavor and smoke cigars (thought they are more in the $4 range)

I have yet to buy a bundle cigar that I would buy again :(

:thumbs: Toaster

:D

Seems like many of us have the same idea this New Year. I too decided to stick to the few great smokes I enjoy and the few "cheapies" that I like for everyday smokes. I decided if I kept trying every cigar I never tried I wouldn't have enough time to smoke all the ones I know I like LOL

DT