• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My Vacation to Punta Cana, DR

tkoepp

Lil' RASScal
Well I have had alot of people asking how my trip went, so I thought about writing a small summation of our trip. I won't bore you with the "honey, let's go shopping" details and such.

First let me say that this place is GORGEOUS, we were at a resort called the Bavaro Princess, and we had no problems. MiamiCubano gave me alot of advice about the country, what to look for etc, and I heeded all his advice, thanks bro.. :)

First day til the last we were on the beach, it was great..

gallery_3387_8_159044.jpg

OK, I get the hint, GET TO THE CIGARS !!!, Well I must tell you guys, if your looking to score GREAT deals on DR cigars and find some ISOM's, your outta luck in Punta Cana. I went into this knowing about the ISOM's in fact, I only saw 2 places that were legit ISOMs, one was the Duty free shop in the airport and more on the other later.

Such cigars as La Aurora, OpusX, and other premiums are hard to come by much less afford. For example when I did find Opus, it was $1020 for a box of Super Beli's, and La Aurora Perfideos were as high as $45 per stick. Most of the brands smoked by the locals were (what I saw) pricipales, nativo's, some Vivaldi, Gloria Dominicana, etc. I tried some of these and to be honest, I might consider buying a box of the Gloria's and Vivaldi's.

One afternoon, I went to a local roller/producer that sells their cigars worldwide. The Don Lucas Cogar factory was pretty interesting in the fact of how small it is and the amount that they produce, they have 4 rollers, that produce about 300 cigars daily per person.
Don Lucas Cigars
gallery_3387_8_154788.jpg

gallery_3387_8_95574.jpg

Workers sorting leaves
gallery_3387_8_169319.jpg

Rollers preparing to fill the molds and some putting on the wrapper.
gallery_3387_8_35305.jpg

Don Lucas's aging room (boy was the ammoina smell strong in here)
gallery_3387_8_96360.jpg

Me sampling one of the Robusto Maduro
gallery_3387_8_79659.jpg

The cigar that I tried was a very good cigar, it was never bitter nor harsh, and never got hot. The draw was super smooth but not too loose. It had a very earthy flavor, with hints of leather and cedar. It was a med-full flavored cigar that also produced a firm even ash. I noticed that this cigars' attributes is not its strength but its profile, it was easy on the palatte, but did not linger long. The cigar had a strong finish that left you satisfied.

We had a great time visiting the country, we went catamaran sailing, parasailing, relaxed and drank ALOT.. :) I took my own cigars to smoke but I brought back plenty to sample. Possibly I can aquire a box of the ones I enjoy.
I also found out the we LOVE the local coffee, Santo Domingo is a very nice blend... Also found out that Brugal Rum is not one of my favorites, it is rather harsh as a sipper, but mixes well.

Sounds like a great trip Tim! I still think you should have fence hopped chateau fuente but there is always next time

Did you get all of us a cool t-shirt!?! :laugh: I hope you drank the hell out of the Brugal and Barcelo! ;)

Welcome back!

Did you get all of us a cool t-shirt!?! :laugh: I hope you drank the hell out of the Brugal and Barcelo! ;)

Welcome back!

I forgot to add, that I did have some 21 yr old Barcelo that was AWESOME...

No T-shirts Jerry.. sorry bro.

I guess you can disregard my last reply on the PM, looks like you had a blast thanks for sharing those pictures.

Glad you had a good time. It is indeed a great place to go. I went to Secrets this time last year and had a blast. Sorry you dont like Brugal I loved it and brought back a few bottles. I too saw way to many fakes as far a cigars go.

Damon

Thanks for sharing the pics and info. I am always fascinated with cigar factory pics.
Maybe someday..........

Tim,

Glad you had a great time! Thanks for sharing!

Now get back to work!!! :laugh:

It sounds like it was a great vacation! Now I am drooling. It will be a sure stop for me and the wife when we could get away. Thanks for the great pictures. :thumbs:

Tim sounds like you had a great time, thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much for the travelogue, Tim. Not a bad trip after all and it sounds like you discovered plenty of new sensual pleasures in drink and smoke.

Wilkey

Glad you had a great time...looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Been there twice - unparalleled beach, wonderful people, perfect weather. Good food, good drink. But for cigars ... I'll bring my own. Not a place to go buy cigars. On the off chance you find something not counterfeit, it costs more than it would here.

Looks like an excellent time. Hope you sparked those bad boys on the beach!

Looks like an excellent time. Hope you sparked those bad boys on the beach!

Actually bro, those got torched sitting on the patio with snort of the 21yr old Barcelo... (the beach was too windy)

I thought I had died and gone to heaven... Thanks again..