• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

NCAA March Madness bracket pool...

well Paul, doesn't look like you will take 2nd and 3rd!!  BUT that being said, how do we break up the tie for 2nd/3rd now?  same correct picks, same points, but neither picked the correct teams going forward so the whole "tie breaker" of picking the score doesn't work....sooooo? 

In a case of a 2nd and 3rd place tie breaker, the winnings should be forwarded to he who has the worst bracket overall.

:whistling:

Brickhouse said:
In a case of a 2nd and 3rd place tie breaker, the winnings should be forwarded to he who has the worst bracket overall.

in that case Tom or Chester would be tied with that at zero :)

Brickhouse said:

O hell no... Lol Let's see what the host thinks.

Paul

Jeez, this isn't an easy task.

I went back and looked at both Paul and Tom's entries, and they each have the exact same picks correct for the Final Four (both had Florida and whiffed on the other three), they each have the same Elite Eight picks correct (FL, AZ, Wisky, and Michigan), they each have the same Sweet Sixteen picks correct (FL, UCLA, UVA, MSU, IaSt, AZ, SDSU, Wisky, Lou, and Michigan), and while the point allocations are different, both have final scores in the championship game which total 158 points (Paul had FL 84, Wichita St. 74; Tom had Arizona 80, UVA 78).  I don't think having FL or AZ as the winner was much of a stretch, and I'd say that having WSU and UVA each losing in the NC game was about equally ballsy.

Honestly, I have no idea how to make the call on who gets second and who gets third.  I think it's outrageous to go back to the first round games and try to retroactively assign some sort of greater weight (such as whichever one of them picked more upsets correctly, etc.), and I think it's only slightly less outrageous to say that Paul should take second because his champion won one more game than Tom's did.

Unless anybody has any better ideas (I'm open to suggestions, by the way!), I think the most sensible thing to do is to simply chop the pot between the two of them.  Instead of divvying up the pot ~60% for 1st, ~30% for 2nd, and ~10% for third, I think something like 60/20/20 is reasonable.  I (intentionally) haven't yet looked closely at who has multiple entries, etc., but given that we have 17 total entries in the pot, by giving the rounding error/benefit of the doubt to the winner, it would break down as 11 entries for first place and 3 entries each for second and third.

Does that make sense?  I'd like to get feedback from the peanut gallery, but most importantly, I'd like to know that Paul and Tom are okay with this.  If they want to come up with an alternative arrangement that they both agree on, I'm certainly okay with whatever they decide.

I'm shooting the two of them a PM momentarily to nudge them to weigh in publicly since we're on a pretty tight schedule... 

I'm cool with the 60/20/20 thing if that is what Tom wants to do or we can make it interesting and Tom you pick who you want to win the championship and I'll take the other and winner takes all of the 40%

Let me know
Paul

Tall Paul said:
I'm cool with the 60/20/20 thing if that is what Tom wants to do or we can make it interesting and Tom you pick who you want to win the championship and I'll take the other and winner takes all of the 40%
Let me know
Paul
Ohhhhh snap! The gauntlet has been laid!

If we go that route, let's make it interesting....40%, or 6 total entries, to be split into 3 Super Bowl like bets worth 2 entries each.... 1.Who wins the tip off 2. who makes the most free throws and 3. Who wins the game.

Sorry, I have been drinking

Steve, what you proposed is reasonable.  Even in golf tournaments, ties from 2nd place on, have the total winnings added up and then divided amongst the players.  So your proposal is inline with that thought.

However, Tom and Paul can do whatever they decide!  One suggestion is to wager on the point spread.  One would chose the underdog, the other the favorite.   I think KY is 3 point favorite as of tonight.  Winner takes 2nd place, other takes 3rd.

Frank

Just finished watching the game (PSA: Pacific time zone sucks for sports...) and am glad to see that the split is amenable to both parties.

Here's the breakdown:

Everybody but FoMoCo had two entries.  There were 17 total entries in the pot.

Tom and Paul each won three entries, but they each owe two, so they each net one entry's worth of sticks.  Just so that nobody else has to make two shipments, I'll send to each of you.  Please PM me your addresses, and I'll get them out to you ASAP.  I do ask for a little patience, as I've just recently moved and haven't found a cigar shop in my new stomping grounds yet (anybody have any Culver City, CA recommendations???), plus I'm going out of town on business Thursday and Friday.

Everybody else (H311o x2, FoMoCo, Fjldo x2, Engspot x2, and Brickhouse x2) please send to Modo.  Modo, please PM these five guys your address.

Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to everyone for participating!

Thanks for running it again!  Congrats to the winners!

Wow, I could have made some serious coin if I had a little faith in my own team!

Thanks for putting this together again!

Hey Wyatt and Eric.....just to let you know, it was a "2" stick entry!!

Thank you for sticks you two!  And really taking the concept of "minimum" $7.50 into account and blowing that out of the water! Thanks guys, you both over did it.

Modo--how are your deliveries going?  Anybody even slower than me?

Paul: 9114901230801302588630

Tom: 9114901230801302588654

Thanks again, everyone!

The Green Monkey said:
Modo--how are your deliveries going?  Anybody even slower than me?

Nah, not bad, we are all communicating.  FoMoCo, Fjldo, Brickhouse received; DC from H311o, waiting on Engspot who just got back in town.

All ends sent and this is done!

thanks for putting this together and can't wait for next year.