• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

need a new humidor

siva66

hi all, i need/want to upgrade to a new humidor. i currently have a 50 cigar humidor that i found on the cheap at a cigar store but the seal is pretty much crap (i've seasoned it numerous times). anyway, are there any brands and/or retailers that someone might recommend for someone looking to buy a smaller humidor (50-100)? thanks.

junkman_56 said:
Go here:
http://www.cheaphumidors.com
and check out their medium humidors.
I have "The Tuscany" and really like it.
[snapback]243067[/snapback]​

the tuscany looks great. you didn't have any trouble seasoning it or keeping humidity with this one? i just don't want to go 0 for 2 on humidors!

No trouble at all.
It holds humidity levels perfectly.
My only suggestion is to get a digital hygrometer/thermometer.
The analog one sucks.

any preferrences on glass top or regular top? my cigar store guy tried to discourage me from getting a glass top humidor stating that the glass lets more heat in.

There are methods of repair for your current humidor, depends on if you wanna try and save it first.

Maybe try www.tampahumidor.com also. They usually have some pretty good deals on humi's.

Hello Siva66,

I bought two "imperfect" humidors from Cuban Crafters. I've been very very pleased with both. However, as discussed in this earlier thread, I'd call first.

siva66 said:
any preferrences on glass top or regular top? my cigar store guy tried to discourage me from getting a glass top humidor stating that the glass lets more heat in.
[snapback]243109[/snapback]​
Glass top's will let in light and could cause the box to heat up.
I perfer to keep my cigars in the dark.

well after looking at several humi's along with the various site sugestions i ordered the tuscany (thanks junkman_56). figure i will be very pleased with the upgrade from my beginner humi in terms of quality and capacity. i feel that my current one was not holding any humidity- my 70 hearfelt beads are now reading 62 in my current humidor (digital hygrometer is calibrated correctly). i'm no expert but, you can literally open my current humidor with your pinky finger- there seems to be no seal at all. thanks for everyones help, now the hard part is waiting for it to arrive and seasoning it.

tuscany

You might want to avoid seasoning by wiping the humidor down (like a lot of manufacturers say to do) with distilled h2o. I made that mistake based on instructions with the humidor and it stained the wood in several areas. From now on I'll use a wet wash cloth with distilled water and let it sit on a plastic bag inside the humidor. Enjoy your new humidor!

Enjoy, it is a nice humidor.
I have had mine almost a year and it is just about full.
It is an insidious, cycle. You get a larger humidor, get more cigars, then need a larger humidor again…

Also I agree with smallg on curing. I did exactly that, used damp paper towel and laid it on a plastic bag to keep it off the surface of the wood.
It worked great.

make a small 'coolidor' - easy and cheap! That way when you get hooked, like the rest of us, it's no big deal to use it elsewhere and upgrade to a large coolidor!

:laugh:

Swissy said:
make a small 'coolidor' - easy and cheap! That way when you get hooked, like the rest of us, it's no big deal to use it elsewhere and upgrade to a large coolidor!

:laugh:
[snapback]245101[/snapback]​

Ditto! A small desktop humidor is nice for diplay, but unless you want to spend huge amounts of money on a large humidor to store all your treasures, buy a coolerdor. Simple, cheap and they work fantastic.

Here's another vote for coolerdor. The best way to get bulk storage bar none and it more low profile than a humidor. A buddy of mine had some punks break into his place and they lifted all his smokes from his small humidor but nobody thought to look in the 152 quart marine Igloo stocked with about 50 boxes of premium smokes!!! :p :p