• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need a set of knives

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
I want to get a set of at least a couple decent knives for my cabin. Don't want to spend too much but want something that is decent quality.

Any suggestions?

An old version of this set and a $3 stone got me through college and beyond. Still have them laying around, though I don't use them as much. They definitely held up well for as cheap as they are. I got them from a department store on sale for $80.

J.A. Henckels "classic" . . . the three-rivet handled ones. Or, better yet, the Brazilian-made Henckels clone, which is what I have. Identical down to the grade of steel at about a third of the price and have only needed sharpened once in 15 years.

You can buy the Henckels individually at Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, usw, for about $30 apiece. They'll last forever.

~Boar

J.A. Henckels "classic" . . . the three-rivet handled ones. Or, better yet, the Brazilian-made Henckels clone, which is what I have. Identical down to the grade of steel at about a third of the price and have only needed sharpened once in 15 years.

You can buy the Henckels individually at Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, usw, for about $30 apiece. They'll last forever.

~Boar

These are the ones we used at my house...how'd they work?

I think we bought them on sale AND with a 20% coupon.

Knives are such a personal item, I hesitate to suggest anything. Wusthof Trident is an excellent value, but the price

might be more than you want to spend. The last knife you would have to buy, though.

Henckels in a very decent knife, as mentioned.

You might look at some of Cold Steel's Kitchen knives. They have a Serrated knife that is nasty sharp.

Comfortable Kraton handles too. This is not one of thier higher end "Set" knives, but a budget blade that is excellent.

There are several on Ebay.

I've seen tha Brazilian knives mentioned. Don't know how they sharpen, hold an edge, etc.

Mine are an absolute pleasure to use. :thumbs:

I got them (the Brazilian clones) in '92 or so for $99 (four knives, steel, and block) and man, best hundred bucks I ever spent. I'm planning on adding a Henckels 6" extra-wide chef and a santoku, I think it's called, this year.

~Boar

Personally I have a set of Henckels Professional S knives at home. Bought them one at a time, or received as gifts to get a full set for what I needed.

However, my best recommendation would be pick up a few in the store to see how they feel in your hands! If you don't feel like you'll have control of the blade, it's probably not the best choice. As MadMonk said, it's a personal item. The knives I received as gifts were specifically chosen and put on a list, substitution not an option.

A few things to consider would be the knife construction. Full tang knife? Is there a bolster between the cutting edge and handle? Most importantly, use a good cutting board! Glass and other hard surface cutting boards are hell on the blade. Best choices are wood or a resin/plastic board. Remember, a sharp knife is a safe knife!

I wouldn't get to involved about knives for your cabin. Lots of decent stuff to choose from but no need to spend too much. If it is going to be that important to you bring some from home when you go to the cabin.

....whatever you decide, I've bought knives from these guys before, and was very happy with the prices and serivce. They will occasionally throw some pretty good sales, so it pays to check them from time to time.

Thanks guys, that helps!

I can't believe that I wait until I am this old to get some good knives, especially with all the cooking I do at the cabin :blush:

I agree with Ree Ree if you want the best knife. Look at it as a cigar you would smoke. Do you want 5 Vegas, La Flor or Opus. If you can afford it, Wusthof is hands down the best.

I have a lot of knives, so this next statement actually applies to me.

"The best knife is the one you like to use the most"

In my case, I have a Wusthof Santoku, and an old Sabatier French Chef knife that I always reach for.

Sabatier is a very controversial knife, and there seems to be several folks claiming or selling that name.

My Sabatier is everything I love in a knife. Perfect balance, comfortable non-fatigueing grip, excellent edge retention,

and very easy to sharpen.

Think of it this way...I spent less money on something cheap to find out it was really cheap and ended up buying the better quality item (that was more expensive) and ended up spending more in the long run because I bought two things. Go with something good the first time. Leaves extra cash to burn in your pocket for some smokes!

-ree

"I agree with Ree Ree if you want the best knife. Look at it as a cigar you would smoke. Do you want 5 Vegas, La Flor or Opus. If you can afford it, Wusthof is hands down the best."

That would be a matter of opinion. I have tried a lot of knives out and agree the Wustof knives are good, but I wouldn't call them the best. I have several sets of knives, but the ones I use regularly are a mix of different sets. I have maybe 4 knives that are used regularly plus one or two specialty knives, just for filleting fish or cutting soft cheese, that sort of thing. My regulars are a nice santoku knife, a small flexible blade paring knife, a classic shaped chef's knife (although both the santoku and the chef's knife do the same jobs, I just like them both and use them both and a good serrated bread style knife.

Don't get caught up in hype with things like stainless handles. When you think about how knives are marketed, most people don't even hold their kitchen knives properly. They buy them because of looks.

Here is a site that has some good knife info, plus some great knifes too. The Misono Molybdenum santoku is a great buy on a quality knife. Even if you don't buy anything from there at least read some of the info on knives he has.

http://www.paulsfinest.com/

And finally the best knife is useless unless it is sharp! Find somebody that knows how to sharpen them and get them done at least once a year, plus take care of them (read NO DISHWASHER).

Have fun and don't cut yourself!

I've gone to a short (8") Japanese knife. I use it for almost everything except paring. If I need mo-power, I pull out the very heavy but beautifully balanced Gerber 14" chef.

Oh ya here is what i meant to post in the first place before i got ranting. Take a look at some Swissmar knives for good "cheapies". Especially their SWIBO lines. I know a few kitchens that use them as their knifes and they take a beating and keep on cutting. Also stop by a kitchen supply store and see what they have. You can probably get a very use-able decent couple of knives for fairly cheap.

Miracle Blade III!

My wife bought these about 4 years ago just on quick sale/impulse buy. They are going strong and sharp still. She uses the fillet knife to slice just about anything. One christmas I used the 11" all purpose knife to saw off some of the trunk of the christmas tree.

One christmas I used the 11" all purpose knife to saw off some of the trunk of the christmas tree.

Did you slice a tomato immediately afterwards? I hear if you don't, the universe implodes...or something.

Maybe it's just that a kitten dies somewhere. I'm not really sure.