• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need a set of knives

Miracle Blade III!

My wife bought these about 4 years ago just on quick sale/impulse buy. They are going strong and sharp still. She uses the fillet knife to slice just about anything. One christmas I used the 11" all purpose knife to saw off some of the trunk of the christmas tree.

LOL...I actually have this set and they work great as an inexpensive set.

It wasn't until we gotthe others that I knew what a better knife was...but...for the money...the Miricle Blade complete set really works VERY WELL!

I think you only confessed to owning a set after I admitted I did. There's nothing wrong with the Miracle Blade sets. :laugh:
It's not like you're shaking guys off at the urinals :sign:

I bought a set of Whustof Classic knives back in 03-04. Great set of knives and all I could ever need. The next best thing I bought was called the Edge Pro. I bought the Apex model and in the only couple of times I had to resharpen my kitchen knives the Edge pro made the process ridiculously easy and made the knives scary sharp...even for a total novice like me.

I think you only confessed to owning a set after I admitted I did. There's nothing wrong with the Miracle Blade sets.
laugh.gif

It's not like you're shaking guys off at the urinals
sign.gif

LMAO!

Yea..I've really only used the new ones recently....but still have the 'other ones'! ;)

I've had various knives from Global, Wusthof, Sabatier, and Henckels. 95% of the time, I use my Shun Suntoku knife. I use it for everything. Slicing, dicing, chopping, peeling, and even filleting. The only thing I don't do with it is slice bread. I use an off-set bread knife for that. IMHO most people will only ever need three knives in their drawer: a good all-purpose chef's knife or suntoku, a bread knife, and a paring knife (if you're a fisherman, a good boning/filleting knife is also a must). My suggestion is go to a cutlery shop and get a feel of the various all purpose knives. Make sure it's comfortable in your hand and the size and style is right for you. When you've settled on an all purpose knife, do your research and find the best deal. Add other knives as needed. Keep in mind that you need a sharpening steel of the same hardness as your knife; otherwise, you'll dull your knife quickly.

I bought a set of Whustof Classic knives back in 03-04. Great set of knives and all I could ever need. The next best thing I bought was called the Edge Pro. I bought the Apex model and in the only couple of times I had to resharpen my kitchen knives the Edge pro made the process ridiculously easy and made the knives scary sharp...even for a total novice like me.

Now, THAT'S cool.

I bought one of those Chef's Choice electric knife sharpeners this year because I knew my knives needed touched up, badly, and that it would do a better job than I could ever hope to with a tri-stone. But that thing looks like even I could get a razor edge with it!

~Boar

Now, THAT'S cool.

I bought one of those Chef's Choice electric knife sharpeners this year because I knew my knives needed touched up, badly, and that it would do a better job than I could ever hope to with a tri-stone. But that thing looks like even I could get a razor edge with it!

~Boar

I decided to give the set a touch up tonight after reading this and it was just as easy as I remember...& I haven't touched the Edge Pro since i moved into this house in Dec 2006. It took me about 45 min to do every knife in my set tonight minus the bread knife. I use the 320 & 600 stones and finished with the 1200 ceramic steel to finish the edge. Really really easy to do.

edited to add that I have jacked up a knife or two years ago using the Chef's Choice.

I would like to make a suggestion if I may. I've been working in a restaurant for a little over five years and some of the best kitchen knives I've ever used would be the small collection of Forschners Victorinox knives (many sizes&styles of blade) I've assembled for myself over the years. And they really arent that expensive,I even bought some for home use and have never been dissapointed. Crazy sharp edge that has consistantly lasted for years,rarely require resharpening. A 10" I have still has a razor factory edge after almost a year and a half of use 5/6 days a week... Hope this helps :) .

....whatever you decide, I've bought knives from these guys before, and was very happy with the prices and serivce. They will occasionally throw some pretty good sales, so it pays to check them from time to time.

Damn, made me buy the Calphalon 10-in. Stir Fry Pan,
laugh.gif

David

That's funny!

Now that 'she' left...I have to buy a whole new set!
...and a new VACUUM!

I have a set of Berghoff knives that are over 3 years old and they are just great. They hold an edge and are very easy to sharpen. I am the only one that uses them and I do take very good care of them. Won't let the wife use them, she damn sure doesn't need something that sharp in her hands.

I have had some Henckels before and for the money, the Berghoff beats them hands down. IMHO

Ken

I have at least a dozen different carry knives but I'm still using the same old set of Chicago Cutlery I bought 30 years ago. That and my grandmothers cast iron pots and pans are the only things I got from the kitchen after the divorce.

....whatever you decide, I've bought knives from these guys before, and was very happy with the prices and serivce. They will occasionally throw some pretty good sales, so it pays to check them from time to time.

Damn, made me buy the Calphalon 10-in. Stir Fry Pan,
laugh.gif

David

That's funny!

Now that 'she' left...I have to buy a whole new set!
...and a new VACUUM!

Josh finally moved back home?

Shun Ken Onion 9 piece set for $519.99?!?! For a set of knives? That's crazy. It's on woot right now btw

Okay, I bought a set of Henckel Internationals 13 piece Forged Synergy which should serve me well....thanks for the hook up Tom!

Now, what do you guys recommend for sharpening? I do all my hunting knives on a stone but now that I have become interested in these kitchen knife thingys I see most people use a steel or ceramic rod ........ just a couple occasional swipes to keep it sharp.

Thanks again for all the input :thumbs: