• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need a set of knives

....whatever you decide, I've bought knives from these guys before, and was very happy with the prices and serivce. They will occasionally throw some pretty good sales, so it pays to check them from time to time.

Okay, I bought a set of Henckel Internationals 13 piece Forged Synergy which should serve me well....thanks for the hook up Tom!

Now, what do you guys recommend for sharpening? I do all my hunting knives on a stone but now that I have become interested in these kitchen knife thingys I see most people use a steel or ceramic rod ........ just a couple occasional swipes to keep it sharp.

Thanks again for all the input
thumbs-up.gif

I think there was a devices mentioned in the thread. I've heard these are good!

http://www.proknifesharpeners.com/

EDIT - looks like you have an sharpener with the set: 9-in. Sharpening Steel ! ???

:laugh:

Sharpening steels aren't going to regain the proper angles and eventually you're going to need to actually sharpen.

That Edge Pro looks fascinating in that it makes it effortless to get your angles but if you know how to sharpen and mind your angles, it's pretty effortless anyway not to mention you'll get quality results cheaper, you'll take up less space, it gives you private time to sit and smoke and besides...it's a skill that is ultimately extremely useful.

I say a cheap double sided sharpening stone, some mineral oil and a pack of 600 grit wet/dry.

I have a tri-hone set which works well on my outdoor knives. I also have a Lansky system which is pretty good for a beginning point at various angles. The hone works well for my hunting knives because of years of use putting the same angle on the knife but I don't know what angle kitchen knives are supposed to be sharpened at.....probably not the same as skinning and filet knives?

Good point about the quiet time and a cigar!

Most people will shoot for a primary angle of about 25 degrees for a utility edge. I tend to want to go a little shallower, simply because I'm use to doing straight razors. Depending on the knife and it's composition, you can often go as shallow as 20 and still have a resilient edge.

I have a set that's very similar to the set you picked up and it has a very wide relief (which I personally think is a good thing and will save you time)

I like my 18 piece Chicago Cutlery set. Holds an edge nicely.

I want to get a set of at least a couple decent knives for my cabin. Don't want to spend too much but want something that is decent quality.

Any suggestions?
imo it is hard to beat Forschner knives---especially at their prices---easy to sharpen, hold an edge and diswasher safe http://tinyurl.com/yls5xo5

I have a 9pc J.A. Henckels 4 star set :thumbs: IMHO these are the best bang for your buck... great price along with great quality!

I prefer Shun Classic. I've got the chef's knife, the bread knife, and a boning knife. Wusthof is good but I think Shun is better. Check out William-Sonoma's website.

I have a Chef's Choice Professional Knife Sharpener, and I love it. It puts a perfect edge on my knives every time.

Linky

I have a Chef's Choice Professional Knife Sharpener, and I love it. It puts a perfect edge on my knives every time.

Linky

You spent $145 to sharpen your knives? I bet I spent less than $20 for my Norton India stone. I can shave with my knives. Course you do have to learn how to use it.
wink.gif

Doc.

I prefer Shun Classic. I've got the chef's knife, the bread knife, and a boning knife. Wusthof is good but I think Shun is better. Check out William-Sonoma's website.

I have the same set and am looking at getting a couple more knives. I researched and read about kives for about 2 years before I finally got them and decided on the Shun. I've had them for almost 2 years now and they are amazing. The company also completely stands behind them. I got a small nick in the chefs knife somehow and sent it back to them and they replaced it no questions asked. They also have free sharpening for life.

Funny that there aren't more people who use Global. At work, thats all I use and actually, I only keep 2 knives on the line with me, my chefs and a pairing knife with a steel. I used to use Wustof but because the tang is there, after numerous sharpenings, I started hitting the tang. Plus the Globals are much lighter to me. It doesnt matter where you are, you can always transport knives but have whatever works best for you with you when you cook. Why settle for something inferior just because you're not at home. G1

I have this crazy set of Wusthof knives that was a gift. I use maybe two and the scissors. I would get a Global chef's knife and a paring knife. You could do fine with just a chef's knife. Thinking about it a little more, I use the serrated knife from time to time.

I have this crazy set of Wusthof knives that was a gift. I use maybe two and the scissors. I would get a Global chef's knife and a paring knife. You could do fine with just a chef's knife. Thinking about it a little more, I use the serrated knife from time to time.

Totally agree :) Any more for me and it takes up too much space on my countertop. I have a separate table where I do prep during down times or when the line's out of something and at those times I'm only using my chefs knife. If I need a serrated, I go to garde manger and grab hers :) its good to be the chef lol. The only time I ever take another knife out is when our butcher is out, I may take out my filet knife but 95% of the time, its my 10" Global. Also, dont' be afraid of a big knife. I used to use an 8" all the time and when I moved to the 10", it acutally made it easier. And get the regular one not the forged one as the forged one is a little heavier. Tougher because its forged but not necessary unless you're cutting bone. I"ve found I can keep a much sharper edge with the thinner blade. G1

To the guy who mentioned Cutco two pages back, they are excellent. Of all the knives in my kitchen and they are a mishmash, one 70's era Cutco carving knife is by far the best. Slices right through london broils and I dont think I've even honed it for years. Cutco is an excellent brand. Even expensive knives can be flawed in terms of their steel, hardness and temper, etc.. It's more about personal feel and trying stuff out than one would think, but collecting kitchen knives to try them out is an expensive and extraneous habit to get into..

I have no doubt overall Henckels is a good value. But I am sure as far as pure quality goes Cutco has em beat. Not sure how active cutco is right now in production though, you might want to go to ebay for vintage stuff. Steel quality is better in older knives.

Henckels is a very old brand, whose quality was much higher at the peak of knifemaking (100+ years ago) than it is now. You can't go wrong with them, but if you want something really special get some oldies. Problem with them is that older knives don't have modern shape and materials, and a modern life in mind in their design. Anything truly excellent made today will be pricey, but picking and choosing on ebay can get you around that in some cases. Plenty of people out there appreciate quality knives, and yet plenty of people don't know jack and don't care.

I'd go Cutco, on ebay, if I were in your position. Spend the money you save on cigars baby.

Definitely don't buy anything that doesn't have the steel running from tip all the way through to the end of the handle. It's an easy sign of poor quality if the steel stops midway through the handle. Generally, the more rivets the better (to a sensible degree, 24 rivets in a four inch handle is obviously overkill). Point is if it has two rivets, its cheap. Overall, look for signs of extra labours in knife construction or material and it'll help identify a piece of steel some effort was put into.