• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

NEED ADVISE AND HELP

MAS_Puros

Me as a wee one with my bottle of Abyss
OK so in the last few days we've had a heat wave and I am getting really paranoid about getting infected.

In particular I am worried about my 100 ct desktop that holds my goodies (anejo's, opus, vsg, don carlos, etc...). Would it hurt if I put them in my fridge, the whole desktop? I have it at about 55-60 degrees for my beers but want to know if it will ruin the sticks if I do this?

Thanks
Mike

OK so in the last few days we've had a heat wave and I am getting really paranoid about getting infected.

In particular I am worried about my 100 ct desktop that holds my goodies (anejo's, opus, vsg, don carlos, etc...). Would it hurt if I put them in my fridge, the whole desktop? I have it at about 55-60 degrees for my beers but want to know if it will ruin the sticks if I do this?

Thanks
Mike

Mike,

What is the temp in your house during this heat wave? Do you have A/C? The fridge is not the best option....too cold....unless it's like 100 degrees in your house.

ummmm...you can always bring them over here and I'll keep a good eye on them for ya. :whistling: The office stays at a cool 70 degrees 24/7. :cool:

ps...keep them out of the fridge. It will just dry them out.

ironpeddler, perhaps you have learnings I don't, but I had a guy that makes cigars tell me 50-60F is fine, as long as the humidity is under control. That's the biggie; take room temperature air and cool it down to 50-60F (like the air in the cigars and the humidor) and things can and will get pretty moist. But, IMHO if it's 100F or a beer fridge @ 50F, I'd take the beer fridge.

I fought the same battles before I got my cooled cabinet. What I found is that we had a ground floor level closet, away from all exterior walls, that would usually stay in the 70's when it pushed to the 100's (rather rare here in the Pacific Northwest). For extended heat waves, I used to put my coolers under the house and pull 5-10 smokes and bag 'em to smoke daily. If you think about your own situation, you may find another space in your home that's much better than where your desktop currently lives.

Yes, it was a pain in the a$$ which is why I now have a cabinet with temperature control.... :cool:

Good Luck - B.B.S.

Fridge is bad as it is normaul dehumidified which would defeat the purpus of a humidor.

Quickest option is to find to coolest room in the house (most likeley the basement and put the humi there.
Another option is to get a cooler and keep ice packs inside. They should last a while as you don't need it that cold and you can rotate a few in and out of the freezer.
A third option is to get a vinotemp or other refigerated wine cooler. They can be had fairly inexpensive if you look around on eBay and locally in WalMart and Target. That would give you 24/7 temp control.

Dave

Fridge is bad as it is normaul dehumidified which would defeat the purpus of a humidor.
These guys have good points I'd forgotten about. A "normal" 'frigde is most certainly dehumidified so you'll get the double whammy of things getting very moist as the contained air cools down, then things will dry quickly as the 'fridge does it's thing.

Regards - B.B.S.

50-60 degrees should be good , but I'd just be worried about keeping an eye on the humidity level. Also, don't go taking the cigars from one extreme to the next too quickly as far as temps go. You'll "possibly" see wrapper issues if you go from 50 to 100 degrees too quickly for a long period of time other than lighting one up.

Let me know if the beer and tobacco flavors marry, we'll make millions. :sign:

These guys have good points I'd forgotten about. A "normal" 'frigde is most certainly dehumidified so you'll get the double whammy of things getting very moist as the contained air cools down, then things will dry quickly as the 'fridge does it's thing.

Regards - B.B.S.

Even if he puts a nicely sealed desktop inside the fridge? ???

Edit because I'm an idiot. :p

Mike,

What is the temp in your house during this heat wave? Do you have A/C? The fridge is not the best option....too cold....unless it's like 100 degrees in your house.
Its in the high 70's to low 80's, wheather has been in the 100's these past few days.

Isn't a Vino temp the same as a fridge?
I mean I have my RH beads and I have a good seal on my desktop, as long as I keep the beads hydrated I should be fine right?

I have 2 coolidor's that I am gonna have to figure how to keep cool. I keep them in my closet for now and swap out ice packs every now and then, but Chico just checked his humi and he found holes in a few of his cigars.

Oh and Gary, I might have to take you up on that offer :D

Let me know if the beer and tobacco flavors marry, we'll make millions. :sign:

Imagine smoking a cigar with a quad flavor? :rolleyes: ???

A VinoTemp is different as it uses thermoelectic cooling which does not dehumidify the air. That is why they are so popular for cigars.

Dave

Not just holes Mike...I actually killed the beetle. Hoping its isolated...totally forgot about your suggestions and I should have frozen the infected batch of cigars.

Last night while looking in the humidor for something to smoke, I noticed a hole in a Johnny O cigar I bought a few months ago. Panicking, I started going through all the smoke when I saw the beetle at the bottom of the humidor crawling around. Killed it and removed all the Johnny O cigars into a separate humidor. Hoping its one and done.

Thank you all for this information, I live in Texas and summer is starting to kick in down here. I noticed that the temperature in my humidor was getting higher, so I moved the humi to cooler part of the house and that helped. I put a small ice pack to help the humi stay cooler during the day and that has help keep the temperature down and humidity has also leveled out to about 67 to 70 degrees.

Perhaps the right thread to ask my question -- In New England the summers tend to bound from high 90s to low 80s to low 70s day in and day out. My house basement tends to stay at anywhere from 65 to 75 degrees. Is this okay for my two small humidors? Both are around 100cc and keep a very good RH at 65% without much opening or maintenance. Of course I also worry about the dreaded beetle, so I hope that this is okay and does not call for a need for a vinotemp.

Thanks for all the info so far.

edit: found my answer in another CP thread here. Hopefully my humi being at ~72 should be ok. If not, maybe I should think about converting a vinotemp ;)

I'm having the same problem here in Chicago. They won't turn the air conditioning on in my building until it gets ridiculously hot, and my humidor has been sitting at 75 - 76 degrees. It's getting to be a real worry to me, I think I'll have to get a cooler going.

Here in Philly a couple months ago we hit a warm spell, and I wasn't running the a/c yet. So my computer room where I keep my humi jumped up to the high 70's for a week. The next week I found a hole in a Tat J21.

I thought about how much money I had in smokes in that humi... and that was enough for me to run out and grab a vinotemp at target. If you want to just put your humidor into the vinotemp that actually works really well. And leaves you room for some red wine too ;) But the temps have remained at 64-68 wtih my humi in it. The RH in the humi with 65% beads has been at 67-69% (go figure). What's also funny is the RH in the vinotemp itself, with NO humidification, has been steady at 63-66% depending on the ambient temps so I have a small box of padrons sitting on top of my humi. If I put much more in there though I'll need to get some beads for the vinotemp.

What I'm trying to say is that there isn't much converting needed at all with a vinotemp if you'll just put your humi in there. It'll work great. Now my problem is that my humi is packed to the brim, and it's time to start using the entire vinotemp for storage.

I have it from a very resourceful vendor that he freezes his crops at certain time before or after delivery from another country!

He even stated that I could put cigars in a baggy throw them in the fridge for about 4 days or so pull them out wait about 10 minutes and they will be fine!

I have never tried it!

This is me just rambling!

Well I went through all my cigars and everything seems fine for now ... my 2 cool-a-dors are in my closet with a big thick wool blanket draped over the coolers for some insolation. I seperated my 2 Johnny-O's from the rest of the bunch just in case. :whistling:

Looks like I am gonna have to invest in a vino-temp, someone referred me to a place where they have vino-temps for a fraction of the price, they basically have scratches and/or dents on them but work fine ... cost between $50-$100 bucks. I could give a rats a$$ if it don't look pretty as long as it does the job. :laugh:

So if any of you have instructions to turn the vino-temp into a humidor shoot them over, thanks guys.

Mike

I think the biggest worry is that the vinotemp is thermoelectric... Other than that, conversion seems to go only as far as you want it to. What site are you looking at vinotemps for 50-100 bucks? I'm in the market for one and that sounds like a pretty impressive price.

I think the biggest worry is that the vinotemp is thermoelectric... Other than that, conversion seems to go only as far as you want it to. What site are you looking at vinotemps for 50-100 bucks? I'm in the market for one and that sounds like a pretty impressive price.

Their is a place here that has imperfect items ... scratches, chip paint, dents, etc... they want to move their inventory so they sell them really cheap.

I have a friend who has an old house in New England with a basement. He has an extensive collection and thought the basement was the perfect environment - until the pipes broke. :(

I have a friend who has an old house in New England with a basement. He has an extensive collection and thought the basement was the perfect environment - until the pipes broke. :(
That's why everything is up off the floor in my basement and the humidor, pipes, and all pipe tobacco are on the other side of the basement from the water pipes. Too much money there to put it at risk. Most coolers do float, though, so if you go that route...

:laugh: