• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need Computer Help - Software

Processor: Intel Pentium III, 733MHz
Memory: 128MB RAM

That right there's enough to run XP.
Here's the specs according to M$:
300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended
128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended
1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space

I'll be straight up with ya here Dave, we could get this machine working if you've got the patience and a bit of time. Or if you want to send it to me, I'll do it for you (that's my version of community service). You'd have to pay for shipping, but I'm down if you are!

You can definitely do this for under 150$, and it'll run pretty good. Just gotta keep an eye on 'startup services' since this box won't be able to run a ton of stuff all at once. I'll give ya instructions when / if we get to that point.

Matter of fact, I've got some hardware that might be able to juice this f****** up with!

~R

As long as Vista is run on a machine capable of running it it is fine. I have ran it since Beta 2 and have had no issues.

I can't stand running Vista on anything less than a dual core with 4 GB RAM. My current laptop, an Acer Aspire with an AMD Turion x2 @ 1.8 GHz and 2.0 GB RAM, came with Vista and performance was horrible, even with Aero off and little tweaks here and there. I upgraded my memory to 4.0 GB and it was acceptable, but upon reformatting I ran into a ton of issues with networking and hardware. I threw away my Vista disk and started to use Ubuntu and everything works better than what Vista could ever achieve. I've had many other friends who have run into nothing but problems with Vista, especially networking. In my experiences Vista has been nothing but a huge pain in the ass; XP trumps it by far.

</end rant>

:whistling:

Anyways, :thumbs: for XP.

I'll be straight up with ya here Dave, we could get this machine working if you've got the patience and a bit of time. Or if you want to send it to me, I'll do it for you (that's my version of community service). You'd have to pay for shipping, but I'm down if you are!

You can definitely do this for under 150$, and it'll run pretty good. Just gotta keep an eye on 'startup services' since this box won't be able to run a ton of stuff all at once. I'll give ya instructions when / if we get to that point.

Matter of fact, I've got some hardware that might be able to juice this f****** up with!

~R

Thanks for the offer. Probably best to work with you by phone or e-mail. Now all I have to do is find a resonably priced version of XP. I saw one that said it was an upgrade. Supposedly upgraded W98 to XP and included SP2. Is this a reasonable way to go? It was around $90.

Dave

~R

Thanks for the offer. Probably best to work with you by phone or e-mail. Now all I have to do is find a resonably priced version of XP. I saw one that said it was an upgrade. Supposedly upgraded W98 to XP and included SP2. Is this a reasonable way to go? It was around $90.

Dave

That would certainly work if the seller's trustworthy, not sure what the source is, yaknow?

Tell ya what, let's take this to PM's to keep this from posting new every time we do something, actually email might be best (for file attachments etc)

Holla soon!
~R

I got a Dell GX260 for you if you want. Just cover shipping. Not sure how much to CA. :blush:

Had a vendor dump several systems at work and they ended up on my bench. :cool:

I didn't write down the specs when it was up and running. Here is what I found on the base models

2 - 2.6GHz processor
512 MB memory
40GB drive
Windows XP Pro with COA attached - (fresh new install from recovery disc)
CD/RW
Floppy

I got a Dell GX260 for you if you want. Just cover shipping. Not sure how much to CA. :blush:

Had a vendor dump several systems at work and they ended up on my bench. :cool:

I didn't write down the specs when it was up and running. Here is what I found on the base models

2 - 2.6GHz processor
512 MB memory
40GB drive
Windows XP Pro with COA attached - (fresh new install from recovery disc)
CD/RW
Floppy

Thanks for the offer. If things don't work out with what I am trying to do, I may take you up on it.

Dave,

If you can take a pic of the ram including any possible identifying markings on it, I may be able to hook you up with some more for free. I just need to know what kind you have currently, and how many slots in the machine and I can dig around and see what I have at home. I have boxes of older pc stuff from when I moved a few years back that i have yet to go through that may be of use to you...