• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

need help

cseverson

Alright so i am new to cigars and humidors. I have bought one but i don't think it works worth crap so i am having one built for me. I have been told to make it 100 percent Spanish cedar. I am needing help finding a hygrometer to tell them to build into it. I would also like help finding a to keep the hunidity (I don't know the name.) basically all i really know is that i need to have the cedar.

Welcome to CigarPass. Why don't you go introduce yourself?

Hello,

Couple of things...... How big is this custom built going to be? fifty sticks, or a thousand sticks?
This could make a big difference in what you use as a humidifier and a hygrometer. Get us the info and we should be able to help you better.

What he meant to say was that it's tradition here for new members to introduce themselves in the "Introduce Yourself Here" forum. Tell us a little about yourself, where you're from, and what got you into cigars, etc.
We like to know a little about the new guy in the community to get a feel for them when they start posting.

I hope you'll stick around, you'll learn a lot here. :)

Welcome to CigarPass. Why don't you go introduce yourself?

I'm thinking that if you're new to cigars, going the custom route might be a bit expensive depending on what you're looking for. Check out cheaphumidors.com. They have great prices and will get you set up with everything you need.

Welcome aboard!

I'd also recommend using the search feature. This is a common question and I'm sure you can find lots of answers that will help you out. :thumbs:

I was thinking the same thing, using Cheaphumidors. We have BOTL's (brothers of the leaf) that will tell you you won't spend a fortune and you will get a box many of us us.

Do it this way you can buy more cigars than wood. :laugh:

We have an in house wood wizard that can build you the absolute BEST humi you will ever find. His handle is humidor minister. If you do a search you will see some of his work.

Hope to see more of you.

What DirtyDave and Pugman said. Check out Cheap Humidors, they have really good prices for humidors. I got a 100 ct humi from them, but it's almost full, so I have to expand. I am talking to Humidor Minister about making me a custom piece. He is a bit pricey, but his quality is amazing!

i have one but whenever i go to check it its usually around 55% humidity. i'm not sure why since i did that salt calibration. it could be the equipment but i don't know. i have
1.jpg
and
2.jpg
and
3.jpg
i am headed home in a few hours so sometime tonight i will post what humidor i have. can't remember the exact one i have

Please read the new member guide before posting any further:
http://www.cigarpass.com/index.php/new-member-guide.html

Grammar is important at CP.

Thanks,
Rod

There's nothing wrong with his grammar, Rod or his punctuation. He's just not using his damn SHIFT KEY. Please use your shift key. This isn't a forum for kiddie scripters. Some of us old guys get damned perturbed with people who have no respect for the English language.

Thank you kindly,

Doc.

Alright, sorry fellows. I shall use the shift key, and I am not trying to be mean but if we are going to use proper grammar and such, please refrain from using all caps for a word. I will follow every rule that I am supposed to when typing a paper for school. Don't want to sound rude but if we are going to use proper english then we should use all the rules that i have to use in school.

Thank you,

Cseverson

Hi,

How often are you currently opening your humidor?

Did you season it before loading the cigars?

How many cigars are in it?

If you're not to confident with the readings from your hygrometer then I advise you to simply do another salt test to verify.

Welcome to CP

Hi,

How often are you currently opening your humidor?

Did you season it before loading the cigars?

How many cigars are in it?

If you're not to confident with the readings from your hygrometer then I advise you to simply do another salt test to verify.

Welcome to CP

1. I open it once a month to check the readings.
2. I thought I did according to some guys I know but do we have a step by step to see if i did it right?
3. none
4. and okay I might do that again when I have 4 hours to spare

and thank you

Cseverson,

Personally I'd aim for 6 to 8 hours minimum for the salt test. There is a good guide here Salt test I don't know about others, but I go for longer than the specified 4hours. Of course, you don't need a spare 4hours in your day, Zip it up in the morning, and come back in the evening...

Its harder to maintain humidity in an empty box.

For the seasoning of your humidor check this out seasoning guide - If you're not happy with step 3, you can skip this, however you will need to leave the shot glass in for a longer period of time to get to 75% - as you humidor is empty anyway, I'm sensing you're not in a major rush?

Also,
As for humidity and maintaining a balance. I and many here will agree that beads are the way to go. They come in 65% and 70%. they last forever and you can get them from Heartfelt Industries, Viper on this board.

These beads are not expensive at all and I am telling you from experience RH becomes a non issue.

IMHO of course.

Welcome to CP. If you have already started your project, I might recommend The Puck from Cigarmony for a desk top. I've started using them in the Humi's I build, they work better than anything I've found yet. He also sells hydrometers as well. Good luck with your endeavour. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Cseverson,

Personally I'd aim for 6 to 8 hours minimum for the salt test. There is a good guide here Salt test I don't know about others, but I go for longer than the specified 4hours. Of course, you don't need a spare 4hours in your day, Zip it up in the morning, and come back in the evening...

For the seasoning of your humidor check this out seasoning guide - If you're not happy with step 3, you can skip this, however you will need to leave the shot glass in for a longer period of time to get to 75% - as you humidor is empty anyway, I'm sensing you're not in a major rush?

Okay I might do it while I sleep tonight then, and no I'm not in a huge rush. right now I'm at school and i cant have tobacco on campus so i smoked all my cigars before i went off to school and wasn't sure how long my humidor could stay at the right RH so no I'm not in a huge rush.

Also,
As for humidity and maintaining a balance. I and many here will agree that beads are the way to go. They come in 65% and 70%. they last forever and you can get them from Heartfelt Industries, Viper on this board.

These beads are not expensive at all and I am telling you from experience RH becomes a non issue.

IMHO of course.

I have never looked into beards nor really heard of them. I will look into them. Thank you

Cseverson,

Okay I might do it while I sleep tonight then, and no I'm not in a huge rush. right now I'm at school and i cant have tobacco on campus so i smoked all my cigars before i went off to school and wasn't sure how long my humidor could stay at the right RH so no I'm not in a huge rush.

Also,

IMHO of course.

I have never looked into beards nor really heard of them. I will look into them. Thank you

You want to search for beads not beards! Just going to make your searching a lot easier. :thumbs:

I was in a similar situation as you. My new humi wouldn't hold consistent RH, but I actually have stick in mine. I was using the Boveda Humipacks (72% RH), then dumped them for the Heartfelt 65% beads, and have had no RH issues since. I would suggest getting the beads in either the 1/2 or 1lb bag, as they are less expensive. I opened up the humidifier and removed the crap floral foam and just put the beads in.

The only "maintenance" that you need to do with the beads is to spray them with distilled water every couple weeks to keep them moist.

Yeah it might be easier if i can type correctly. I am looking into the beads! Not sure what i'm looking at or how to use them but i will learn once i get them or if i get them. Thank you

Could you link me to everything i would need to buy. I'm guessing for 65% humidity. Like I said I don't get what I'm looking at.