• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need some recommendations

Cooke

Hey Guys,

I am relatively new to smoking cigars and need some suggestions for Cigars I should try out. Here are some things to keep in mind:

[*] I like Medium to Full bodied cigars
[*] My current favorite is CAO Brazilia
[*] I don't feel ready to spend any more than $15 per cigar

Besides those things, I am completely open to any recommendations. I just recently purchased a CAO American and a Litto Gomez Diez Anos. I'll let you guys know what I think of them after I have a change to smoke them.

Thanks

Well, there are the obvious cigars, Opus and Anejos, very popular and excellent cigars. You can't go wrong with the Ashton VSGs. Many of the La Flor Domincana cigars are great, some are more full to greater than full bodied (Maduro Chisel). The 2000 series are great smokes, more along the lines of a medium bodied smoke. Some may argue, but this past year, one of the best cigars for the price is probably the Oliva Series V. They are great and run between 5 - 7 per stick.

Good luck and welcome to CP!

An excellent way to get a variety of smokes to taste is the Newbie Sampler Trade - read about it HERE.

In addition to getting some fine smokes you will get to interact with one of the older members and this will start you on your way to meeting folks here. I am very glad I did it and highly recommend it!

Welcome, good luck, and always remember - taste is subjective!

- Tim

I'm with tim. Check that thread out! I haven't done it but I've heard great thigns.

Other then that, check out the red and brown label Tatajue cigars as well as the VSG. for a cheaper smoke try the Oliva Series V if you can get your hands on it.

Padron 1964 Exclusivo, Padron 1926 #6, and Fuente 8-5-8. I too have heard good things about Oliva Serie V but have never had one myself.

If you haven't tried Don Pepin Garcia blends, do so.

These include, among many:

601 by EO (Red and Green labels)
Pepins under his name(JJ maduro is new and good)
Padilla 1932
Tatuaje
Rey Miguel
Habana Leon
San Cristobal

Litto Gomez blends some great stuff. Try the LFD Lancero and the Jocko maduro

what else have you smoked? I know you like the Brazillia but what other cigars do you enjoy.

what else have you smoked? I know you like the Brazillia but what other cigars do you enjoy.

The only other cigar I have come across (which isn't that many) that I enjoyed was a La Flor Dominican Premium Line and a La Gloria Cubana Serie R No. 5. I had a Padron #3000 a couple months ago and all I remember thinking during the whole smoke was: "This isn't bad, but it isn't special". There were many more that were along the lines of the Padron but were just not memorable off the top of my head. I know that the only cigar that I've taken a puff or two of and stopped smoking was a Joya de Nicaragua Celebracion Puro.

Hope this helps you help me

~Cooke

The only other cigar I have come across (which isn't that many) that I enjoyed was a La Flor Dominican Premium Line and a La Gloria Cubana Serie R No. 5. I had a Padron #3000 a couple months ago and all I remember thinking during the whole smoke was: "This isn't bad, but it isn't special". There were many more that were along the lines of the Padron but were just not memorable off the top of my head. I know that the only cigar that I've taken a puff or two of and stopped smoking was a Joya de Nicaragua Celebracion Puro.

Hope this helps you help me

~Cooke

I am rather a newb myself, but you sound like me as well. Some of my very favs are the Brazilia and serie r no. 5 If you really enjoy the serie 5, in my personal opinion you will absolutely love the VSG line. It is like a more sophisticated and refined serie r. :) I do second the Tatuaje brown and red. I haven't tasted one yet that I haven't really enoy. Try some basic Padrons as well. the thousand series.... Pretty cheap and a ton of people swear by em! The list goes on and on. Go to the newbie sampler if you can and pick up some sticks from a good BOTL here. Should get ya started in the right direction and keep ya going strong!

Don

Like Don said, Padron thousand series. Tat Noellas, AF 8-5-8, or any of the Chateau's. LFD Ligero blend, its stronger then the 2000 and RE series but i think you will like them. Try some of the Pepin blue and black lables. And if nothing else, just go to a B&M and ask the person working to find you some Medium/Full sticks in your price range and they will open you up to stuff that some guys here have never heard off. There is a lot of good stuff out there, and the B&M guy will open your eyes to it.

Taste is subjective, it's not going to help you all that much by asking others what they enjoy.

My suggestion is go to your local B&M. Tell the guy what your taste preferences are and/or what you think you like and let
him select several sticks for you to smoke. Once you establish what you like, you can then go online and source better pricing.

As others have suggested, the newbie sampler is a great way to taste a variety of sticks at excellent value.

Brian

I understand the whole taste being subjective. However, the town my University is in does not have a B&M (even though the town 5 miles down the road is Tobaccoville :( ) So I kinda need some ideas for things to order by mail from the B&M I usually go to.

I really appreciate all the help guys.

If you like the Brazilia, you might want to give these a try:

Torano Signature
Gurkha Doble Maduro

I understand the whole taste being subjective. However, the town my University is in does not have a B&M (even though the town 5 miles down the road is Tobaccoville :( ) So I kinda need some ideas for things to order by mail from the B&M I usually go to.

I really appreciate all the help guys.

Then do the noobie sampler. You are allowed to do it twice and can get a good selection of smokes at an unbeatable price, from good guys. Do it.

Thanks again for the advice guys. I talked to BigJake6904 about dealing with him since I know him. Hopefully he'll get me some good stuff.

On another note, I just smoke a Litto Gomez Diez Anos and that one can be added to my list of favorites; I'll be getting a review of it up soon.

If you like the La Flor Dominicanas, you might also try the Ligeros or Double Ligeros. The L-400 is one of my regular go to's.