• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Never buy a used car in Ala-****ing-bama

Sorry to hear about that, Sam. Another resource (for your next purchase) is Carfax.com. Enter the VIN, get a complete title search (salvage, flood, etc.). Had we done that, we would have found that our '92 "bargain" Saab from Florida was a salvage title vehicle, and wouldn't have been stuck in Cortez, Colorado with a blown tranny. :angry: KInda shutting the barn after the horse ran off, I know, but all information is good, right? :whistling:

Nothing like 350 miles in the cab of a tow truck to make your vacation truly memorable. :blush:

Slowhand, your post is the worst piece of drivel I have read in a long time. You just plain know more than anyone else don't you? And those who have a difference of opinion with you just spew "dribble" Ya, okay......

BTW, the word is "drivel" so smarten up. You only prove your ignorance when you misspell words in attack posts ;)

slowhand said:
coventrycat86 said:
Either way, I would not make the payments.  "Credit ratings" are overrated IMO.  I have no credit :0  but who needs it anyway :D
[snapback]146292[/snapback]​

I don't know if this was said in jest or not. I know there are smilies and everything but still can't tell.

This is the worst piece of dribble I have read in a long time. Your credit is extremely imortant. Especially for someone who isn't flush with cash.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully something can be worked out with your car. Whatever you do though, make sure you pay for it. You'll be sorry if you don't.
[snapback]146446[/snapback]​

You feel like I was attacking you? I just wasn't sure if you were kidding or not. Now that I know you are not, you have real issues. Why such bravado? Are you this way in person? Or only behind the security of distance?

I am glad you are not representative of most of the people here. Who are by and large very nice people. They cover up your stink ;)

And thank you for the correction. It is almost embarassing in retrospect but not really. I make mistakes all the time with the English language and many other things. 'Dribble' in place of 'drivel' :) That was pretty dumb. Thanks again.

:0 Again your opinion is not fact and once again you are too ignorant to realize that.

I see you're off to a great start here newbie ;) Keep shooting off your mouth, you'll do real well here and in other areas of life.

slowhand said:
You feel like I was attacking you? I just wasn't sure if you were kidding or not. Now that I know you are not, you have real issues. Why such bravado? Are you this way in person? Or only behind the security of distance?

I am glad you are not representative of most of the people here. Who are by and large very nice people. They cover up your stink ;)

And thank you for the correction. It is almost embarassing in retrospect but not really. I make mistakes all the time with the English language and many other things. 'Dribble' in place of 'drivel' :) That was pretty dumb. Thanks again.
[snapback]146459[/snapback]​

STFU!!!!! :0 :0 :D :D

You stink more!!!! Neener neener!!! :thumbs:

Sorry about your delimna Sambo!! I would return car to lot park it and never return. I would consult attorney as to specifics, but I believe the the number of days and mileage are significantly in your favor (at least in Ga they are for sure). Take care and lets us know if we can help

AVB said:
Carmax is owned by Shi**y Circuit City and is therefore evil. Look up the history of divx DVD (not the video codex divx) to see why. Never buy anything from that company and maybe we can turn their stores into parking lots for Best Buy.
[snapback]146315[/snapback]​

If we refused to buy from "evil" corporations, there would be nowhere left to shop. ;)

Cheers,
Dixie

slowhand said:

Dude... CC happens to be one fine BOTL and a personal friend. So take your personal issues with him OFF my thread please. After all this thread is about MY bitch, not some vendetta you want to reckon, so please go away from this thread and take your issues with you. I am sure you find another thread to try and argue against him (which btw imo would be foolish as the man does know how to win a debate LOL).

Unless of course your intent is to take my mind off my own problems and just have a little fun in a flame war on my thread, which btw can and will work if you want it to. I could use a punching bag around here on the thread :D

Sam

Ahh, but there is a difference between being just plain nefarious and anti-consumer.

dixieland_conjunction said:
If we refused to buy from "evil" corporations, there would be nowhere left to shop. ;)

Cheers,
Dixie
[snapback]146467[/snapback]​

coventrycat86 said:
:0 Again your opinion is not fact and once again you are too ignorant to realize that.

I see you're off to a great start here newbie ;)  Keep shooting off your mouth, you'll do real well here and in other areas of life.

slowhand said:
You feel like I was attacking you?  I just wasn't sure if you were kidding or not.  Now that I know you are not, you have real issues.  Why such bravado?  Are you this way in person?  Or only behind the security of distance?

I am glad you are not representative of most of the people here.  Who are by and large very nice people.  They cover up your stink ;)

And thank you for the correction.  It is almost embarassing in retrospect but not really.  I make mistakes all the time with the English language and many other things.  'Dribble' in place of 'drivel' :) That was pretty dumb.  Thanks again.
[snapback]146460[/snapback]​

SamGuss said:
slowhand said:
You feel like I was attacking you?  I just wasn't sure if you were kidding or not.  Now that I know you are not, you have real issues.  Why such bravado?  Are you this way in person?  Or only behind the security of distance?

I am glad you are not representative of most of the people here.  Who are by and large very nice people.  They cover up your stink ;)

And thank you for the correction.  It is almost embarassing in retrospect but not really.  I make mistakes all the time with the English language and many other things.  'Dribble' in place of 'drivel' :) That was pretty dumb.  Thanks again.

Dude... CC happens to be one fine BOTL and a personal friend. So take your personal issues with him OFF my thread please. After all this thread is about MY bitch, not some vendetta you want to reckon, so please go away from this thread and take your issues with you. I am sure you find another thread to try and argue against him (which btw imo would be foolish as the man does know how to win a debate LOL).

Unless of course your intent is to take my mind off my own problems and just have a little fun in a flame war on my thread, which btw can and will work if you want it to. I could use a punching bag around here on the thread :D

Sam
[snapback]146470[/snapback]​

No worries. I see there is no room for this newbie here.

Have a great afternoon.

Wow Sam, I am so sorry. There is nothing that gets me going quicker than a situation like you are in the middle of right now.

I hope you get it worked out.

Sorry for your troubles. . . but HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

STEVE

SamGuss-

As an attorney who holds licenses to practice in multiple states, one of them being Alabama, I wanted to offer my two cents.

You are not totally up sh*t creek here. You do have some legal recourse. The UCC is an ok option, albeit somewhat pie in the sky and more esoteric than practical for your purposes right now.

There are a couple of things to look at first. First, what representations did the dealer make about the vehicle. "As Is," that sort of thing. Were any warranties made, not made, etc. Any defects hidden or was there anything that a mechanic can now tell you that should have been disclosed to you? In other words, in looking at your crapped out engine now, can some mechanic say that the dealer should have known this would crap out "x" number of weeks ago? This is important, but I'll mention it more below.

Ok, as for the Alabama Lemon Law. It's not as gloom and doom as it sounds. It does give you no cause of action against the dealer under the Lemon Law Statute (i.e, Alabama Code Section 8-20A-1 through 8-20A-6). Specifically the part that excludes dealers is Section 8-20A-5.

BUT, the Lemon Law statute does allow you to return the vehicle to the dealer as they are the agent of the manufacturer so that the manufacturer can make repairs. If the manufacturer can't make repairs, then the vehicle can be replaced after a reasonable amount of attempts by the manufacturer, etc. So, you can still use the dealer as they are the agent of the manufacturer for purposes of trying to live up to your end of the Lemon Law statute, unless this is some real shade tree used car lot. Then, there maybe some problem establishing that agency relationship between the dealer and the manufacturer (not as easy as, say, between VW of North America and your local Hoover, Alabama VW dealership).

Now, the importance of what looking to the contract between you and the dealer, and the represenations, warranties and agreements they may have made - the Lemon Law statute only says you can't go after the dealership under some Lemon Law theory. IF they sell you POS and it's as a result of some misrepresentation, fraud, bs, some latent (hidden) defects that you couldn't otherwise know of, then you can go after them - period, and won't have to even fool around with the Lemon Law issue. As a trial attorney who handled some massive verdicts in your state, I can tell you that Alabama has some HUGELY friendly consumer protection statutes that LOVE the consumer and HATE the dealership (remember if you will the multi-million dollar BMW case against the dealer simply touching up some minor paint damage and not telling the buyer). This is where it pays to have a more aggressive attorney and one who is perhaps more broad-minded to think about pursuing other theories against the dealer, particularly when the pay off in punitive damages in Alabama has historically been so high (assuming you have some other facts to go on here though). But defnitely, if your attorney just thought of Lemon Law and nothing else, and asked no more questions to explicitly rule out other avenues for you, you should shop around for another lawyer asap.

So, don't give up yet. :)

Hey Sam,

WOW, great advice from MiamiCubano :thumbs:

Here's another idea if you can't get anywhere, talk to the dealer and see if you can come to some sort of acceptable resolution with them. If they don't compromise with you, tell them that you will spend every last minute of your spare time picketing their dealership by holding a sign up "This dealer sells junk" or something equally effective and as DaveWF mentioned, talk to the Better Business Bureau AND contact your State Legislators for help ;)

I can't imagine that a reasonable dealership wouldn't want to work with you on this. Oh and charging STORAGE? That is absolutely ridiculous :angry2:

Sorry to hear of the problems Sam. I'd follow MiamiCubano's advice, if that doesn't work the picket idea would be my next choice. Might cost you some free time, but I be willing to bet it wouldn't take long till they would offer you a deal. Nothing chills sales like a man with a sign stating this dealer sells defetcive cars and refuses to repair them. Just be sure you're on public property.

Wow. Thanks a lot for the pointers MC!

I have talked to the dealer and he is going to get the engine fixed - well thats what he says anyway - quite frankly I don't trust him. I am going to have to pay for it, but it looks like he'll arrange for payments :(

As for warranties and such... I did sign a "as-is warranty" and I did sign one of those papers saying I wouldn't go after him legally, when I first purchased the car. All in all I am hoping that this will be resolved this week and I will have my car back.

Sam

No problem, anytime SamGuss. I sent you another PM about your last post here too. Hope this works out soon for you.

SamGuss said:
Wow. Thanks a lot for the pointers MC!

I have talked to the dealer and he is going to get the engine fixed - well thats what he says anyway - quite frankly I don't trust him. I am going to have to pay for it, but it looks like he'll arrange for payments :(

As for warranties and such... I did sign a "as-is warranty" and I did sign one of those papers saying I wouldn't go after him legally, when I first purchased the car. All in all I am hoping that this will be resolved this week and I will have my car back.

Sam
[snapback]146574[/snapback]​

I think I'd find a more appropriate V8 for that car, like perhaps one made by GM. :D

Wildcard said:
I think I'd find a more appropriate V8 for that car, like perhaps one made by GM. :D
[snapback]146637[/snapback]​

C'mon, you never heard of a Chevy 302? tsk tsk.......

Just be sure you're on public property.

Thanks for adding that Wascal, that had slipped my mind but DEFINITELY on public property ;)

Wildcard said:
[snapback]146637[/snapback]​

The man does NOT want his engine to blow again. Thats why you go with a cleavland 302.