• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New brewer here!

bluue13

I've been doing wine for a little while but its very time consuming and definitely a while from start to finished product...sometimes up to a year if not more.

I've decided it is time to try my hand at making some home brew. Quicker results and I love beer!

I'm going to be picking up all the necessary equipment (what I dont already have from my wine-making operation) this week. I have a few books and have been reading and getting some great info.

What I was wondering is does anyone have any highly recommended recipes for a starter batch? I pretty much like any kind of beer there is.

Thanks guys!

I would say do any APA, ESB, Irish Red depending on which style you like best. Something in the 5% ABV range that you can use a dry neutral yeast like Nottingham or US-05 with. Congrats on making a great decision.

I've been doing wine for a little while but its very time consuming and definitely a while from start to finished product...sometimes up to a year if not more.

I've decided it is time to try my hand at making some home brew. Quicker results and I love beer!

I'm going to be picking up all the necessary equipment (what I dont already have from my wine-making operation) this week. I have a few books and have been reading and getting some great info.

What I was wondering is does anyone have any highly recommended recipes for a starter batch? I pretty much like any kind of beer there is.

Thanks guys!
Are you making an extract brew are are you going to do an all grain? It will make a difference in the type of recipe you're going to use.
Tony

Thanks guys!
Are you making an extract brew are are you going to do an all grain? It will make a difference in the type of recipe you're going to use.
Tony

Id love to do all grain but I'm wondering if I should start with an extract brew just to get some practice. I'll prob go with that plan.

If you let me know which style you want to do, I just got Brewing Classic Styles and it has 80 extract recipes in it and I can give you one. They're all beginner based pretty much, but all award winning recipes.

If you let me know which style you want to do, I just got Brewing Classic Styles and it has 80 extract recipes in it and I can give you one. They're all beginner based pretty much, but all award winning recipes.

Great book. Also pick up How to Brew by the same author. I've been brewing for some time now, and I still use it for reference. :thumbs:

Great book. Also pick up How to Brew by the same author. I've been brewing for some time now, and I still use it for reference. :thumbs:

That book is available free here: http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

John Palmer admits his recipes aren't great, but this is pretty good technically on how to brew.

I'd love to do a good amber ale. Thanks for the book recommendations too. I have The Joy of Home Brewing by Charlie Papazian which has some great info in it and also The Complete Homebrew Beer Book by George Hummel.

They both have tons of recipe's but its tough to know which might be good and what might not. I guess I could always pick one and go for it but I was just curious if anyone with some experience had one that they had good luck with.

Thanks guys!