• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Coolidor

stewa070

Decided to go big or go home when I re-entered the cigar world. Bought a Coleman 150qt last week and decided to try some KL I had on hand because I'm too impatient to wait on Heartfelt beads. This stuff is amazing put it in yesterday and this morning when I got to work it was sitting happily at 66%!

Attachments

• IMG_1607.JPG
    IMG_1607.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 55
Patience in this hobby is your friend. Impatience often leads to horror stories to have to tell later.

A lot of people have had success with kitty litter. Can't say I've ever used it.

Nice looking set up. Now time to fill her up.

No. Got lucky. It's a 150qt Coleman Marine cooler at Walmart. The shelves can be found at Walmart in the bathroom storage aisle. They're called Mainstays Folding Shelf. Perfect fit in the slots and nearly as deep as the cooler. I love them. Like $5.50 each. Not to be confused with the Mainstays Short Folding Shelf or the Long Folding Shelf, neither of which would fit.

I'm thinking of taking a short one and sticking it in that pan of KL with a USB laptop fan sitting on it. Run the cord up and out the drain plug on top and to a surge prootector with a USB input. Then hook the surge protector to a timer set to run for like two minutes every half hour or hour.

Humidity is a perfect 65%, but it is a bit higher towards 68% the higher up the shelves I go. The fans would just be for mixing the humidity better, not for fresh air circulation. I open the damn thing too much to worry about stale air in there! Really happy with this setup in the few days I've had it running.

Any opinions on the fans?

Don't worry about a fan. I bet you've been opening it up a lot lately. Once you leave her alone she will even out.

Great job and good luck on picking you're second coolerdor, too! :)

How long before it's packed? Months not years, definitely.

Edit to add: location is key unless you install a cooling device. Pick a place that is the right temp consistently. Basement is a favorite spot if it's not too cool.

Try weeks at this pace. 6.5lb box from cigardevil comes to the office tomorrow, not the house. 1 pound sampler from Atlantic went to the house. Intercepted a 3lb box from JR I forgot to ship to the office before the man in brown blew my cover. Not to mention the four partial boxes I bought from my B&M this week! I have a problem.

I put the coolidor at the office for a specific reason - in a specific room! The wife gets to see the cute little 50 count on my desk and one at the house! I think it'd be cheaper to get a side chick at this point.

When she finds out hand her the CC and say go buy a pair of Manolo's and a matching purse. :p

Humidity is a perfect 65%, but it is a bit higher towards 68% the higher up the shelves I go.

I notice you're in Alabama, not the coolest place in the states. What's the temp readings, on your hygro?

I notice you're in Alabama, not the coolest place in the states. What's the temp readings, on your hygro?
Low to mid 70s. Not much I can do about it. Humidity I can control. You need both to hatch beetles. Down in the south it's not uncommon for standard humidor temps to be in the upper 70s.

Low to mid 70s. Not much I can do about it. Humidity I can control. You need both to hatch beetles. Down in the south it's not uncommon for standard humidor temps to be in the upper 70s.

One will result in beetles and one will result in mold ;)

The beads you blew off will (within reason) absorb as well as give off humidity to regulate RH. Might give them another thought. Bovida packs do the same.

Also, when my central AC runs, it really dries the air out. I've learned a lot by having a hygrometer in the room so I know ambient conditions.

I'll move the unit. It's in a room that doesn't get as much AC as the rest of the building. I'm not worried about the RH. It's regulating fine now at 65%. Read where someone put a cool pack wrapped in a shirt inside to bring down the temp. I can't figure how that wouldn't bring the RH way up though.

I should clarify the humidity has always been between 65-67% humidity. The temp has been the issue. It's been as high as 75.

A lot of people have had success with kitty litter. Can't say I've ever used it.

Nice looking set up. Now time to fill her up.

I have used the kitty litter before and it works fine. I just got tired of picking out the blue crystals.

I have used the kitty litter before and it works fine. I just got tired of picking out the blue crystals.
That's what I was just going to comment on. Make sure you either find the kind without blue crystals, or you pick every single one out. There's an old thread by Wilkey somewhere that I'm too lazy to search for. If I remember right, not picking them out will result in fragrance being imparted on your cigars and they'll eventually all taste like cheap/nasty Acid cigars.

You just have to make sure you buy fragrance free.
The blue crystals have something to do with odor and will impart odor. Can't remember what exactly, but I seem to think it doesn't list "scented" anywhere, but will give off something when it meets moisture/humidity.

One of the history hard lessons learned here along with Bill Clinton's antifreeze fiasco.