• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Ebay phishing/spoofing scam

rob300c

The Big Noobowski
Reaction score
The other day I tried to pick up a watch with the 'Make an offer' option on Ebay.
My offers were rejected but I received an email the next day asking to make another offer.
I offer a few bucks more and I was pleased that they accepted my offer.
The 'seller' tells me to anticipate a email from Ebay regarding the sale.
I get the 'invoice' and gee whiz it's from Ebay INC and a email address not even remotely associated with Ebay.
The original sale was from Germany and the 'invoice' was for payment to Athens, Greece.
I write the 'seller' an email stating I would not complete the transaction unless they sent it directly through my Ebay account.
They were very diligent about responding to me before this email and now...
I haven't heard anything from them!
I am not sure how they pulled this but I suspect they have some bot scanning Ebay 'Make an offer's...
So watch out folks!

-Rob

The other day I tried to pick up a watch with the 'Make an offer' option on Ebay.
My offers were rejected but I received an email the next day asking to make another offer.
I offer a few bucks more and I was pleased that they accepted my offer.
The 'seller' tells me to anticipate a email from Ebay regarding the sale.
I get the 'invoice' and gee whiz it's from Ebay INC and a email address not even remotely associated with Ebay.
The original sale was from Germany and the 'invoice' was for payment to Athens, Greece.
I write the 'seller' an email stating I would not complete the transaction unless they sent it directly through my Ebay account.
They were very diligent about responding to me before this email and now...
I haven't heard anything from them!
I am not sure how they pulled this but I suspect they have some bot scanning Ebay 'Make an offer's...
So watch out folks!

-Rob
Another scam is to offer a "second chance" price. I was sent a "Second Chance" notification for a Humidare unit and was surprised when I got the nod for my $34 dollar bid. I was even more surprised that the 10 people who went on to bid higher than me passed on this "second chance".

The only sound advice if your going to buy off of ebay is to only answer messages through ebay itself and not a link from an email.
-Rob

I had the second chance offer scam happen as well. Twice on the same item, in fact, an Aurora Optima mini fountain pen. I reported the first one, and the next time I checked my email the second one was in my inbox! :laugh:

Ebay recommends that you check for messages in "My eBay", as any genuine second chance offers, and presumably any other genuine communications will show up in their system.

All good advice people. The spoof emails are all extremely well done and very deceptive. There are plenty of others as well. Messages telling you your account has been compromised, and you need to logon immediately. Do not use any hyperlinks in the email messages!!!

Also, many people use the same logon and password for both eBay and PayPal. This is a big no no!! At least use a different password. This way if your eBay account actually gets hacked, they can't automatically get into your PayPal account.

Be careful boys.

Gary

The easiest way to tell if these emails from "eBay" are real or not is to run your mouse curser over any links present in the email. You will immediately notice that the urls do not originate from ebay at all byt are links to sites that either prompt you to enter your password or other phising info.
Beware of any emails that say they come from ebay, 95% of the time they are scams. If you get one you aren't sure of then log into your account and look in the my messages folder.

BEWARE!

Linky to Ebay's security page.

This will have some infomation on what to and what not to look for from Ebay.
At the bottom of the page there are some links to other security related items.

Like Rob said...if it came to you via email...it's highly suspect.

Funny - I even check 'snail mail' that comes to me.

One golf magazine uses a subscriber service to have people 're-up' a subscription. When I received a letter from the servicesaying I need to re-up, it had a form to mail in or an online site. Well, the online site and the form were both higher than if I went to the golf mag's site direcly and re-up'd. Now, that's not really a scam...but it's a few bucks here and there that add up!

I had bid on something once. Then another bidder came in and kept bidding in the smallest increments until he became high bidder. Then he retracted his last bid leaving me the winning bidder with my highest proxy bid possible.

I cancelled my bids and reported them to eBay. They might have changed how that works now, I don't know.

I quit using eBay's proxy bid a long time ago. I use EZSniper for almost all my bids now.

EZSniper - Click

If you decide to join, give me a referral. Send a PM and I'll tell you more.

Gary

I quit using eBay's proxy bid a long time ago. I use EZSniper for almost all my bids now.

EZSniper - Click

If you decide to join, give me a referral. Send a PM and I'll tell you more.

Gary

This must be why I lose so many bids at the last minute. All along I thought these people sit at their computers at all hours of the day and night looking to outbid me while I worked and slept. A little unfair, but I might have to look into it anyway.

I didn't really like it either, but that is exactly why I changed. It turns out it works well for me. I choose the max I'm willing to pay then no one sees my bid until it's over. I don't have to worry about the "nibblers" upping my bid. If I lose it, I lose it. I'm not even tempted to over bid.

Good Luck....

There are other scams for ebay sellers going around with fake money orders, too. You sell a product, the buyee says they're out of the country and can't receive the shipment, so they'll send you a money order for the payment. The scam is they offer to send you a money order for more than the payment with the agreement you'll send the extra money on to their associate so they can ship them the product. They're "saving" you the cost of having to ship it to them overseas because their associate will handle that with the extra money. Needless to say the money order is fake and you end up getting screwed in the end. Evidently it's legit enough to get the extra money to their associate, but leaving you stuck with the bill for everything when it comes back fake.

When you come across these scams that are supposedly from Paypal or eBay, forward them to:

spoof@ebay.com or spoof @paypal.com