• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New fan of cigars. Made first purchase now I think they might be fake

iedgar10

Hello!

As I stated in my introduction, I am 19 years old. I am very new when it comes to cigars. In fact, I had my first cigar yesterday! Since this is something I really want to get into, I decided to try an ISOM cigar first and compare that to others. Needless to say, I was VERY excited when I placed my first order. Since discussing sources is not allowed, I did some research and came up with one that I had a hunch was reputable (and they took visa). What I got + ****** was:

25 x Hoyo De Monterrey De Depute @ (removed in edit) (since they claimed to give free shipping of your order exceeded X amount, I went ahead and added the following to my order to take advantage)
3 x Hoyo De Monterrery Epicure No2 @ (removed in edit)

The cigars came in the mail in less then 10 business days later(from a foreign country... not ISOM lol). When I opened the package, I found an air tight heavy duty plastic seal around my wooden box of du depute and my cartoon of 3 epicures in the same air tight bag with the de deputes. The box was a slide open box. There was a green and white seal on both of the boxes. However, only the wooden one had the hologram. The cartoon did not have a hologram but it had the bar code on it. I have attached some pictures in case that helps any. I KNOW we're not supposed to discuss sources, or ask for verification, so could i please get some help on trying to identify by other means if these are legit? I've checked that bar code on the habanos website and it says "warning, that is not a register code." I'm feeling very disappointed and am just searching for answers.

In conclusion, the things that make me doubt the legitimacy of these are:
1- The Epicure NO 2 and the De Depute same VERY VERY similar scent...I could almost bet they're the same smell. However, I don't think I'm experienced enough to decide whether they're identical smells or not. But, IMHO I think they pretty much have the same scent.
2- The bands on both the cigars can be tugged up and down the cigar with little effort. I don't know if that's supposed to be like that or not.
3- SOME of the Depute's have something I would describe as scarring. Like when a teen has a lot of acne and then their face scars. Sorry for the bad example...I just know a lot of people like that aand it's the best example I can come up with.
4- Some of the Depute's have some flicks at the foot of the cigar. Meaning, they have like a little tiny piece hanging from it. Kind of like a sweater might have a piece of string sticking out.
5- The Depute box does NOT have the bar code that's supposed to be located at the opposite end of the hologram. It literally looks like someone swiped a blade across that part and perhaps peeled off the bar code.
6- The epicure bar code number didn't pass on the habanos website. I do not know if I am entering it wrong or if that means that they are in fact flukes.

Thank you SOOOOO MUCH for taking the time to read my super long post. I just wanted to be specific so as to give experts enough info to help me decide whether these are a bunch of flukes or not.

side notes: The epicure no2 seems to be a lot more well built. ie no "scars" or "loose string." I've smoked 2 Du Depute's- both were very mild and excellent draw.. 1st had long ash and burned evenly. 2nd had short ashes and burned unevenly although this could have been my fault because it was hard to see my torch light in the bright sun when I was lighting.

SCARS
Smyrna-20110703-00209.jpg

uneven labels
Smyrna-20110703-00208.jpg

Strings and more scars
Smyrna-20110703-00207.jpg

epicure no2 band
Smyrna-20110703-00206.jpg

Smyrna-20110703-00203.jpg

Smyrna-20110703-00202.jpg

Smyrna-20110703-00201.jpg

Smyrna-20110703-00200.jpg

here the seal looks like it's a bit torn because I tore it to see if it really was tamper proof like the habanos website said
Smyrna-20110703-00199.jpg

Smyrna-20110703-00198.jpg

I also found that I had taken pictures of the ash and the bundle cigars when I first pulled it out of the box.
Also, the box included the following:
-A yellow ribbon that tied around the cigars that said "hoyo de monterrey"," le hoyo du depute", and "HABANA" centered and on different layers. Both sides had what appeared to be coin logos.
-some plastic like paper that went around the cigars to ease the process of pulling them out of the box. I simply grabbed the paper by both the protruding flaps and pulled the bundle of cigars out.
-a piece of thin wood-like sheet (looks like the stuff inside my humidor (cedarwood?) that covered the cigars underneath the sliding door.

Smyrna-20110703-00192.jpg

Smyrna-20110702-00185.jpg

They appear to be 100% authentic cigars to me. As far as the dubious nature of the contraband, I don't know about that.

If the cigar was good and enjoyable then that should be the end of the story, not the start of an authenticity debate.

Like I said it looks like a 100% authentic cigar to me.

I agree that they look good.

Are you set up to store them properly? Read the stickies on storage in "The Humidor".

Thank you so much for your confirmation! It makes me happy to know that I wasn't ripped off and that I'm smoking the real deal.
However, I do have two more questions for future reference.
Is there a reason the Epicure No2 bar code number didn't pass the authenticity check at the Habanos Website? Is it one of the older bar codes that was never registered?
Finally, is it normal that the shipper cut off the bar code from the Du Depute box?

Thank you so much!

I agree that they look good.

Are you set up to store them properly? Read the stickies on storage in "The Humidor".

I believe so. I've been reading through the sticky and have my humidor set up. The only issue I believe I have is that I don't have a hydrometer. However, I'm using maintenance-free humidipaks that are supposed to stay at 72% relative humidity. Do I still need a hydrometer if I'm using these types of packs and I let them settle in my humidor before putting in my cigars? Or are these unreliable? I read through the net and have read many good things about them.

I'm not even sure where to start, except to say the answers to all of your questions are here in these pages.

For what it's worth, your cigars look fine, but if you're inexperienced enough to freak out this bad, you probably shouldn't be making said purchase.

Finally, cigars are about relaxation and stressing about the details isn't relaxing.

I'm not even sure where to start, except to say the answers to all of your questions are here in these pages.

For what it's worth, your cigars look fine, but if you're inexperienced enough to freak out this bad, you probably shouldn't be making said purchase.

Finally, cigars are about relaxation and stressing about the details isn't relaxing.

I totally agree with this. You should just relax and enjoy your cigars. Also, for future reference, it's usually not a good idea to post the price you paid for the cigars. That is tantamount to posting your source.

I totally agree with this. You should just relax and enjoy your cigars. Also, for future reference, it's usually not a good idea to post the price you paid for the cigars. That is tantamount to posting your source.

Couldn't agree more. I do agree that they are 100% authentic cigars, and that is what you have there... cigars.

Food for thought: If you're going to have an ulcer every time you buy these types, then maybe stick to Domestic for a while.

Thanks to everyone!
I shall relax and enjoy all of my cigars. I think I was just very upset at the thought that my cigars perhaps weren't legit. But now, I will continue to purchase with confidence.
I also edited my original post to remove info I learned is "tantamount to posting a source." Thanks for the heads up!

Are we allowed to discuss NON-ISOM sources or ask for recommendations for a good source of domestic cigars?

Thanks to everyone!
I shall relax and enjoy all of my cigars. I think I was just very upset at the thought that my cigars perhaps weren't legit. But now, I will continue to purchase with confidence.
I also edited my original post to remove info I learned is "tantamount to posting a source." Thanks for the heads up!

Are we allowed to discuss NON-ISOM sources or ask for recommendations for a good source of domestic cigars?

If you hang around and read a bit more before doing some more posting you'll find out the answer to all your questions. Understandable though, it is definitely exciting getting into the hobby. The short answer is "yes" it is definitely encouraged to share with people a good experience you had with a vendor but again people usually don't post the prices and such unless the seller says its ok to share.

Just hang around and read read read and you'll get the hang of it!

Nothing wrong with asking about non-Cuban vendors, since they are legal. There are several vendors who are also active participants of this site that will treat you far better than the megastore sites that are popular. Use the search function and it will be obvious who those people are.

Don't forget to update your profile and about me pages. :thumbs:

As everyone here has stated, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum. Never be afraid to ask a question, but be sure you've done your due diligence by searching. Great buys and enjoy your love affair, its sure to be a fun ride. :laugh:

Yeah, yeah, I know...Gonz is back to his grumpy, salty old bastard self.

I seem to recall at some point in the past it was decided that starting threads such as these was essentially a veiled attempt at source verification. No, he didn't come right out and ask if his source was legit, but by starting this thread we all know that he'll get some newer members who don't know better that will pm him, ask for his source and verify that it's good.

If I get bored today, I may even try to find a link to the thread or post I am referencing.

Yeah, yeah, I know...Gonz is back to his grumpy, salty old bastard self.

I seem to recall at some point in the past it was decided that starting threads such as these was essentially a veiled attempt at source verification. No, he didn't come right out and ask if his source was legit, but by starting this thread we all know that he'll get some newer members who don't know better that will pm him, ask for his source and verify that it's good.

If I get bored today, I may even try to find a link to the thread or post I am referencing.

Well, nobody has verified my source. Just my cigars! Which is what I wanted.
But if this is your way of volunteering :whistling:

ps- I bought my first domestics a few days ago! I'm going to save the rest of these until I try the domestics. Plus, I think I'm burning through these way too fast. :D

I KNOW we're not supposed to discuss sources, or ask for verification, so could i please get some help on trying to identify by other means if these are legit?

^^^How is this not asking for verification?

Thanks to everyone!

^^^Sounds like you got what you wanted. :thumbs:

I KNOW we're not supposed to discuss sources, or ask for verification, so could i please get some help on trying to identify by other means if these are legit?

Thanks to everyone!

I believe that there is a difference between asking for a verification of a source and verification of the legitimacy of a cigar. For all you know, I COULD HAVE gotten these from a friend who got them from another friend and not a specific source (after all, we aren't allowed to discuss sources so there is no way for you to know that i didn't :laugh: ). What I wanted to verify was that I got A REAL ISOM. Now that I know what a REAL ISOM tastes and looks like, I can now buy with confidence knowing that I won't be fooled into buying fakes. Granted-- I won't know much when it comes to something that aren't Hoyos but at least I have a quality bar to measure them to and should be able to make a better assumption now.

MAYBE one day, I'll be trusted enough to be helped out with a source. But for now, knowing that what I smoked was real is good enough for me. I loved these smokes and can't wait to keep tasting others. After all, I'm only 19 with a lot to learn and smoke. All in all I'm very thankful for all the help.
I'm sure SOMEONE here can relate--- feeling the smoke of my first few cigars was an incredible experience. Knowing that they were the real deal just made the experience THAT much better :)

Thanks to everyone!

I believe that there is a difference between asking for a verification of a source and verification of the legitimacy of a cigar. For all you know, I COULD HAVE gotten these from a friend who got them from another friend and not a specific source (after all, we aren't allowed to discuss sources so there is no way for you to know that i didn't :laugh: ). What I wanted to verify was that I got A REAL ISOM. Now that I know what a REAL ISOM tastes and looks like, I can now buy with confidence knowing that I won't be fooled into buying fakes. Granted-- I won't know much when it comes to something that aren't Hoyos but at least I have a quality bar to measure them to and should be able to make a better assumption now.

MAYBE one day, I'll be trusted enough to be helped out with a source. But for now, knowing that what I smoked was real is good enough for me. I loved these smokes and can't wait to keep tasting others. After all, I'm only 19 with a lot to learn and smoke. All in all I'm very thankful for all the help.
I'm sure SOMEONE here can relate--- feeling the smoke of my first few cigars was an incredible experience. Knowing that they were the real deal just made the experience THAT much better :)

What does a "real ISOM" taste and look like? What makes you think any of these guys know what is real and aren't??