• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New House Windows

Eqwhipped

Whiskey is the flower of my people.
Hello Dear friends,

I need to purchase new windows in my home and not sure where to start.

I have done some research and found that I will likely get Fiberglass or vinyl. I have 2 picture windows in my home and 9 sliding windows.

I would like to hear your opinions on what type and if you know of any in Michigan, a company to install them. Going to start setting up bids this week.

Biggest mistake people make is buying less expensive made-to-order replacement windows that fit their current wall openings, but then they lose the overall glass dimensions to the framing and construction of the new windows
( ie Wallside Windows ).

For the most significant windows in your house , like the large picture windows or windows you open and close frequently, spend the $$$ and buy quality windows (ie Andersen Windows) that you will benefit from everyday.

Lots of window reps in Michigan promising the world, but ten year guarantees are only good if the company is still in business in ten years….

Also be careful, i sold windows for a short period of time in California. Huge scam industry and most likely the company you buy from if small will not be there when you need the warranty. Also a ton of companies sell the same windows just rebranded with their own exclusive brand name and hype to try and markup the price. In my opinion the Anderson windows were one of the best and a company thats not going anywhere.

One thing when i first started working for the company. I couldn't figure out why there were so many different company names on the new hire paperwork that I was filling out. Very short time later I realized they had been sued and shut one business down to reopen under another name but never bothered to update all of the employee paperwork.

I fully agree with Anderson or Pella. Something to take into account, if you have windows that get a fair share of sun, consider going with the green sun blocking window, you get much less radiation indoors and thus less heat transfer from out to in, important if you have A/C and you want to reduce your energy cost. Just for your consideration.

That's great feedback guys, I'll give Anderson a call and have them come out for a quote. I don't plan on staying hear more than another 5yrs but still would like energy efficient windows.

I certainly do not want to buy cheap prefab windows for my home. I will make sure I ask about the installation process as well.

That's great feedback guys, I'll give Anderson a call and have them come out for a quote. I don't plan on staying hear more than another 5yrs but still would like energy efficient windows.

I certainly do not want to buy cheap prefab windows for my home. I will make sure I ask about the installation process as well.
We just had our 22 windows done two years ago. Make sure you're sitting down with the Anderson quote just FYI - we laughed. We just couldn't justify the price tag of 32k+, 10% of the damn property value. We had five quotes and each salesman took an evening to show us how they were better. Same exact pitch from each of them with a light and a thermometer gun. What a waste of time. We decided on Universal at around 12k. I can replace these windows every few years with brand new ones and still come out ahead. Installation was great and we like them a lot.

We just had our 22 windows done two years ago. Make sure you're sitting down with the Anderson quote just FYI - we laughed. We just couldn't justify the price tag of 32k+, 10% of the damn property value. We had five quotes and each salesman took an evening to show us how they were better. Same exact pitch from each of them with a light and a thermometer gun. What a waste of time. We decided on Universal at around 12k. I can replace these windows every few years with brand new ones and still come out ahead. Installation was great and we like them a lot.
Interesting, like the old vacuum cleaner salesman. Not looking forward to a week of pitches for "my product is better".

Interesting, like the old vacuum cleaner salesman. Not looking forward to a week of pitches for "my product is better".
Wait for a local home and garden trade show if you can. They will all be there at one place with special offers.

One thing I learned when we did our windows is about tempered glass. Not sure if this applies to you but I'll tell you anyway since you asked. We had 2 floor to ceiling windows on either side of the fireplace. Because they were within x inches of the floor the whole window had to be tempered glass, which is very expensive. The salesperson recommended doing a single hung window that opens on the lower 20% of the window which added air flow to the house and cut the cost of the window in half..

No idea if you care or if it applies but there you go.

One thing I learned when we did our windows is about tempered glass. Not sure if this applies to you but I'll tell you anyway since you asked. We had 2 floor to ceiling windows on either side of the fireplace. Because they were within x inches of the floor the whole window had to be tempered glass, which is very expensive. The salesperson recommended doing a single hung window that opens on the lower 20% of the window which added air flow to the house and cut the cost of the window in half..

We have a massive picture window in the front room, using two pieces had not occurred to me. Do you find the separation just as aesthetically pleasing?

We have a massive picture window in the front room, using two pieces had not occurred to me. Do you find the separation just as aesthetically pleasing?
In our setup yes, but the windows were only 30-36 inches wide. If its bigger than that I think it would be a lot more money and wouldn't look nearly as good.

This picture is horrible and obviously from the outside. I had just torn off a HUGE deck and didn't have the patio extension poured yet... Ignore everything but the windows. The floor is about 8 inches below the bottom of the glass.
1634317428298.png

I think that is one of their main scams. Maybe someone with residential construction experience can jump in here but I couldn't find that code anywhere and a couple of the salesmen laughed when I brought it up to them. 10 of the 22 are floor to ceiling in our place.