• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New humidor

It was probably before knowledge of salt testing really took off and spread. I'm going to guess I learned it from one of the instruction sheets from one of my old desktops. Also, could have been via ole Lew Rothman.

Hell yea, go with what Tom said. Why go backwards?
I learned it threw a friend that got it from a guy name Lew Rothman (might be the same guy) in New York at a B&M back in the 70's. God I feel old.

Thank you much, I appreciate it. I hadn't see this before or maybe just ignored it after I became overly familiar with the salt test. At any rate, it appears to be an accepted method, even if outdated. Which would make the advice/suggestion you gave just fine. I retract my "poor advice" comment, and have learned something today.
Don't apologize, we all learn something new everyday here on CP, that's why we are here to learn and enjoy each others company. BTW I wasn't trying to be a smart A-- or anything in the post just letting you know where I saw it. :D Because when I first was taught it I was like no way this will not work but it does.

I learned it threw a friend that got it from a guy name Lew Rothman (might be the same guy) in New York at a B&M back in the 70's. God I feel old.
Yea you could catch Lew in the store back in the 70s. Nice guy, funny as hell. He owned JR Cigars. I can't remember the guys name but, the guy that started "screw" magazine worked there years ago too. Lew was trying to help him out. He was a mess.

Salt tests work lots better in a mason jar than they do in a bag. When I've done them in a bag, I always double zip lock the test environment for repeatability.

If you can't do the test twice in a row and get the same result......we'll, that's a problem.

Never heard of the wet rag test....sounds reasonable, but you're betting on the hygrometer being linear and accurate over it's whole range. Which, may be a stretch for these little inexpensive battery powered units. I like testing at or near the setpoint, I think you get a better idea of what's going on.

As they say, one man's opinion.

but you're betting on the hygrometer being linear and accurate over it's whole range
Exactly. Hence, I never really trusted it with either type hygrometer. I always say, and I did learn this from Lew, is you have to "feel" your cigars too.

Didn't see it anywhere in the thread - is your hygrometer digital or analog?

Didn't see it anywhere in the thread - is your hygrometer digital or analog?
I'm guessing bugg just saw them in he picture. I have two digital hygrometers from Walmart in there. Unfortunately, with this humidor the lower section is pretty much blocked off from the upper section. Just a poor design really.

I'm using the Avallo Accumonitor system to maintain the rh but it only has one rh sensor. So I put two of the water canisters in the lower section and two in the upper section. I use the two digital hygrometers to make sure the upper and lower sections are staying pretty close to each other in rh. So far I haven't had any issues with over or under humidification. I absolutely love the Accumonitor.

ETA: Wow....sorry. I totally misunderstood what was being askedo_O. Please disregard my post. I thought this was in my "new humidor" thread. I was distracted by a four year old when I was replying.

Last edited:
That's what I like about my humidor, it has 5 inlet holes on the right from humidity to be forced in and 5 holes on the left to pull it back out to the humidifier. There is a total of 4 in and 4 out on top and 1 in and 1 out on bottom so it pretty much stays 1% to 2% different through out the cabinet, which really is not that bad.