• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New to Home Brew

ulster

Homebrewing intrigues me and I am ready to start. A colleague has loaned me his home-brew equipment (its like a basic start up kit - plastic bucket style) so I only need to supply the ingredients. For those homebrew veterans what advice other than sterilization would you pass along to to a homebrew newbie. What resources should I read or look at first. I am all ears.

When you're starting out, sanitation is the most important thing. Even professional brewers spend most of their time cleaning things.

Good advice so far.

In addition-
Your local homebrew shop should have some basic brewing classes. Check one of those out. Usually they will take a brewday from start to finish and they will probably have some samples to try as well. :thumbs:

Also, if you have a homebrewing club in your area, that is a great place to learn from others and find someone who will let you be the "assistant brewmaster" for a couple of batches to get the hang of it. My local club has events called "Teach a Friend to Brew Day" where everyone brings someone new for a group brew session. Most homebrewers are very open to introducing the hobby to someone who is interested.

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing is the ultimate beginners manual on how to brew. You can also find Palmer's How to Brew online for free here .

Brewing is an art best learned by doing. Find a friend, get a kit and give it a shot.

DJ