• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

new to pipes

HORRY SHEET! Some NICE pipes on that page. Out of curiosity, does a $3,000 pipe smoke $2,910 better than a cob pipe? I'm sure there's some level of betterness, but what makes some of these seemingly "generic" (not exquisitely and intricately carved) shaped pipes so dang expensive?
I’ve always considered it kind of like a status thing. Just like dude coolio with the $1200 lighter. Fire is fire IMO.

I’m assuming the smoking experience between a $50 pipe and a $250 pipe is far greater than the difference between a $250 pipe and a $3000 pipe simply because it opens up options such as different bowl/stem materials.

I’ve always considered it kind of like a status thing. Just like dude coolio with the $1200 lighter. Fire is fire IMO.

I’m assuming the smoking experience between a $50 pipe and a $250 pipe is far greater than the difference between a $250 pipe and a $3000 pipe simply because it opens up options such as different bowl/stem materials.

Yeah, that's where I'm lost and clueless. I'm trying to read up on pipes and construction to get a better idea of what I'm looking at.

-FYI: I'm going to be online in about 15-20 minutes if you are up for a pipe break :)

HORRY SHEET! Some NICE pipes on that page. Out of curiosity, does a $3,000 pipe smoke $2,910 better than a cob pipe? I'm sure there's some level of betterness, but what makes some of these seemingly "generic" (not exquisitely and intricately carved) shaped pipes so dang expensive?

Smokingpipes dot com is a great site for pipes and tobacco. They have a bunch of filters to help your pipe search, and if you're cheap like me, the price filter is the first one I go to. Look for "estate" pipes which are pre-owned and can be much more reasonably priced. If you find a pipe that catches your eye click on it and it will bring up a description of the condition of the pipe on the top right of the page. They are pretty honest about the conditions of their used pipes from my experience. So anything out side of "rim darkening" or "chamber carbon" will be noted to let you know what kind of condition it's in. Like with cigars, you can spend whatever you want to spend on a pipe. If owning a work of art is your thing, then more power to you, your $800 pipe is on its way! If owning a $50 estate pipe that smokes just fine, they are out there and available as well. Good luck and welcome to it.

In my experience my cob smokes just as fine, if not better than the more expensive pipes I have. I'm not sure how much I paid for the cob, but I'm assuming it was maybe $15 if not less. Like I said earlier, anything beyond that is just luxury. A $5000 humi looks great but a $50 cooler may do a far better job. YMMV.

Smokingpipes dot com is a great site for pipes and tobacco. They have a bunch of filters to help your pipe search, and if you're cheap like me, the price filter is the first one I go to. Look for "estate" pipes which are pre-owned and can be much more reasonably priced. If you find a pipe that catches your eye click on it and it will bring up a description of the condition of the pipe on the top right of the page. They are pretty honest about the conditions of their used pipes from my experience. So anything out side of "rim darkening" or "chamber carbon" will be noted to let you know what kind of condition it's in. Like with cigars, you can spend whatever you want to spend on a pipe. If owning a work of art is your thing, then more power to you, your $800 pipe is on its way! If owning a $50 estate pipe that smokes just fine, they are out there and available as well. Good luck and welcome to it.

This site is a good one. I know you already have your pipes on the way, but I found the guys at smokingpipes very helpful with questions on their online chat. So if you are looking at something and not sure about it, always worth a shot over there. Nice guys, helpful, and quick shipping as well.

After not smoking a pipe for around 25 years & giving away my collection of 15 pipes, a month ago I picked up a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe & have been smoking that. Today I ordered the following pipes:
Stanwell Feathweight Brown Brandy Straight pipe
Stanwell Royal Guard Billiard Straight pipe

Update: Saturday Aug. 29, son in law liked the Billiard so home he went with it!
Update #2: Wednesday Sept.2. Son visits & likes the Brown Brandy, so home he goes with it.
Ordered another Brown Brandy. Maybe I’ll get to smoke this one😁. Damn this is getting expensive.

Last edited:
When laying out tobacco to dry, how long do you all usually leave it out for?

Figured I'd just keep this thread going instead of making a new one for every question I have...

When laying out tobacco to dry, how long do you all usually leave it out for?

Figured I'd just keep this thread going instead of making a new one for every question I have...
I usually like to let it sit for at least 20-30 minutes. But if it’s a pretty wet tobacco up to an hour or more. What I did at first was laid the tobacco out and felt it every 15 minutes or so until I was happy with it. But at the end of the day, I know a few guys here, myself included, have smoked crispy tobacco and it was still very enjoyable.

I'll say this. Dry it longer than you initially think it needs it.

I used to think crispy was too dry, but it still burns good and tastes great.

Sometimes I'll load up a pipe and then get sidetracked, and wont get back to it until the next day. And its still fine. Really its all based on your preference, but Hayden's got a good method there.