• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

new to pipes

it is nice that you can put a pipe down ans come back later and still finish it.

And....pipe baccy can be easy on the pocket book.

After seeing Hayden and Chester with their pipes and talking a bit about it, I think y'all hooked another... No Walgreens around here, so I'm going to have to see what I can find online. What all do I need to get started (links would be great if you have them)? Now, I'm going to take the cigar advice, and RM/PL here in the pipe lounge.

(Sorry to hijack your thread)

Cob pipe, cheap tool, some matches, pipe cleaners, and a pouch of whatever pipe tobacco blend you like. That's really all you need. Everything else is just luxury at that point. Your local B&M probably has some tins or pouches of pipe tobacco. One word of advice, in case you've not smoked pipes before, it's not really similar to cigar smoking. It's its own thing. If you're picking up a pipe and expecting it to be like cutting and lighting a cigar you may be disappointed. They are two rather different entities. From the flavors to the techniques, they can be rather dissimilar. Still, it can be very enjoyable. I definitely enjoy the hobby and you can surely blow cash towards it like any other hobby. I enjoy selecting a blend, a pipe, and packing it and lighting it, but it definitely requires more patience, more care, more technique than cigars which we all know are as easy as cutting, lighting, and boom you're going.

Anyway, just my .02 that I found out when I started with pipes.
Kann the quoted post is what you need.

After seeing Hayden and Chester with their pipes and talking a bit about it, I think y'all hooked another... No Walgreens around here, so I'm going to have to see what I can find online. What all do I need to get started (links would be great if you have them)? Now, I'm going to take the cigar advice, and RM/PL here in the pipe lounge.

This just made my day šŸ˜Ž welcome to the dark side brother!

You're actually in a great part of the world for pipe tobacco. There's some stuff in the EU that doesn't make it over this way without paying an arm and a leg for shipping. Also, there's something with the UK not exporting any tobacco to the states too.

Thanks, all. I made the newb mistake of posting before reading the rest of the forums in this section, and Alan has a spectacular pinned post that answered just about all of my questions. I'm probably going to buy online for now to get started. Thanks or all the links!

I've ordered from this site and had good service: https://www.smokingpipes.com/

(no affiliation, or course).

HORRY SHEET! Some NICE pipes on that page. Out of curiosity, does a $3,000 pipe smoke $2,910 better than a cob pipe? I'm sure there's some level of betterness, but what makes some of these seemingly "generic" (not exquisitely and intricately carved) shaped pipes so dang expensive?

HORRY SHEET! Some NICE pipes on that page. Out of curiosity, does a $3,000 pipe smoke $2,910 better than a cob pipe? I'm sure there's some level of betterness, but what makes some of these seemingly "generic" (not exquisitely and intricately carved) shaped pipes so dang expensive?

Does a Ferrari get you to work the same as a city bus?

They function the same, it's just they have been worked by a famous artisan.

Does a Ferrari get you to work the same as a city bus?

They function the same, it's just they have been worked by a famous artisan.

That's kind of what I figured -- it comes down to the craftsmanship and name associated with it. I just wasn't sure if there was some unobtanium materials used in high-end pipes (think: carbon fiber and titanium vs. aluminum and cast iron). Some of those pipes are amazing.

*EDIT* Also, I just ordered a pipe, tool, cleaners, and some tobacco (I have no idea what I'm into as far as pipe tobacco goes -- I just picked one) from MM. Hopefully it will be here in about a week and I can join you all in this fine forum you've got going here!