• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New to this site

tizlaney

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just ran accross this site the other day and have just fell in love with the whole concept. I have been enjoying the "Good Life" for about 7 years now and have been able to experience some great people and sticks. I smoked my first cigar(Macanudo) at the tender age of 17 on the night of my High School graduation. The smoke was captured by our hometown newspapers photographer and of course was posted on the front page the following Wednesday. Not only is it rare for someone to have a picture of the first time they indulged but for it to be a clipping from the front page....I think its pretty cool....maybe one day ill scan it and post it in a forum.
The next day I flew out for Cancun Mexico and I found myself in cigar heaven. Shortly after arriving in Mexico we(my group) made our way to the mall. Two of my closest friends and I made our way into a local tobaconist there in the center and dropped a quick couple hundred bucks buying singles. As we exited the store we made our way around and about and found the coolest music shop ever....."HIPPOS" it was a music shop with complete bar, cafe and best of all cigar ashtrays. As we sat drinking Tom Collins (i think) smoking a Punch Cuban and making music request to the nice little waitress I thought to myself....'NOW THIS IS ALLRIGHT" and "I COULD GET USED TO THIS". I think in that short week we were there i smoked about a wheel of sticks. As we prepared to leave I debated about bringing my fine purchases home (another way for saying i was scared) I decided what the heck and packed my bag.
When I arrived home I had no place to store my cigars so I started trying to find a humidor to keep them in. Within a few days I had found a small humidor that holds roughly 30-40 cigars.....I know now thats about 15-20, however it was free and best of all it had "Royal Salute Scotch Whisky" Logo on the front. Over the next few years it was filled to the top and I was storing other cigars in bags and mason jars. It was time for an upgrade. I
I upgraded to a glass top with 3 sections to prevent crossing. After a few months of using the glass top I decided it was time to build a cabinet.....If you have ever built a cabinet then beware...(solid) spanish cedar is expensive (but worth it) I went antique shopping and found a beutifull cabinet that needed some tlc on the inside ( which was perfect for me ) I bought it immediatly and took it home to start my new project. I purchased about 20 board feet of solid 1" thick spanish cedar and went to town. I lined the entire inside from top to bottom and then sealed the large glass doors. I then installed my shelves and two Cigar Oasis XL humidifiers and two digital hygrometers. the final cabinet turned out much better than I ever could have imagined. Now I have realised that no matter how big yours is you always want more. I have recently built a coolidor to store mass quantities of certain cigars.
Anyway this was intended to be a "hello my name is Tiz" post but I got started on this. Hope you enjoy my brief history.

Welcome, tiz. What a fine introduction indeed. Cut and paste in the Intro forum and let everyone formally welcome you.

I can't do woodworking to save my life but I can appreciate good work when I see it. Well done on the conversion. :thumbs:

Wilkey

Humm, I don't see anything in Firefox or IE ???

You can view my humidors in my album.

Turk, i am not sure which one you are asking about....anyway

The glass top is from the mid 80's and took some work to get back to par. (alot of sanding and tlc)
The cabinet is from the early 50s so I have been told (not to sure) and the cedar and shelving is new.

Pics are in his Gallery.

BTW - Fine looking humi's :love:

mac

Ahhh, much better. Some nice lookin' containment devices there.

Be careful with the "all Spanish Cedar" lining inside your humi. Many believe that would be too much and opt for some Honduran Mahogany due to (1) the higher cost of Spanish Cedar and (2) the higher pungency of the Spanish Cedar. I've always thought I would like all Spanish Cedar as I tend to like a lot of cedar "nose" in my cigars. But, if you are going to try longterm storage in that humi, you will probably find it a bit too much.

I love that cabinet, sounds like you really enjoyed building it too. Thanks for the pics.

seegars,

The spanish cedar is from the same stockpiles used to create the Humidors at the Tinder Box stores in Charlotte,NC Myrtle Beach,SC and North Myrtle Beach, SC.......

I put a lot of research into the selection of the wood and process. I like the cedar tones in my sticks and I feel that if the makers, distributers, and shops keep theres in it then......um what the heck so will I.

Thanks for your comments.