• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New to this

Jeff1101

G21
I have drank my share of beer mostly Michelob Amber Bock, Sam Adams, Blue Moon, etc but today I stooped by the local shop and picked up a pint of Reaper Ale (Deathly Pale Ale) and a six pack of Flying Dog (Amber Lager). I must say I need some advise on what and where to buy a bigger selection. I liked the Reaper but it wasn't quite right for me and the Flying Dog seems not to have any taste at all (maybe because I just drank the Reaper). So any advise on where or what to buy?

I have drank my share of beer mostly Michelob Amber Bock, Sam Adams, Blue Moon, etc but today I stooped by the local shop and picked up a pint of Reaper Ale (Deathly Pale Ale) and a six pack of Flying Dog (Amber Lager). I must say I need some advise on what and where to buy a bigger selection. I liked the Reaper but it wasn't quite right for me and the Flying Dog seems not to have any taste at all (maybe because I just drank the Reaper). So any advise on where or what to buy?

Is Terrapin available in your area? If so, pick up some of their stuff. You liked a pale ale so it seems you enjoy hops but I don't know what breweries are available in your area.

Pretty sure Terrapin isn't available in LA. New Orleans just got Saint Arnold which is a good TX brewery so I'm sure it will be in other LA markets soon. I'm sure they also have the usuals like Stone, Rogue, or Dogfish Head. My advice is to just go to a store that has lots of craft beer and try some out. If you like it research the style a bit and buy more like it...

That's half the fun in discovering craft beer. :)

The way I approached getting into craft brews was to pretty much pick out something that intrigued me and give it a whirl. Not much more complex than that. This link (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style) has some good guidelines about the different styles of beer. Through that and my own experimentation I've found I like darker/heavier/malty beers like porters and stouts, although I do enjoy the hoppier brews like IPA's, pale ales, and heffes.

As Kiwi stated, if you could let us know what breweries are available, we could better help you.

As Kiwi stated, if you could let us know what breweries are available, we could better help you.

No breweries around and the local store only carries a limited selection. I guess what I am asking is if someone would point me to a good on-line retailer.

Not sure if any of these will help you but:

http://www.superpages.com/yellowpages/C-Liquor+Stores/S-LA/T-Monroe/

Found this:

Baton Rouge Beer Agency, B Olinde & Sons Company, Inc
7808 Airline Highway
Baton Rouge, LA 70815-8103 map
Baton Rouge, LA Metro Area
Phone: (225) 923-3250

Looks like a distributor. You might try calling them and seeing what local retailers (if any) they distribute to and what craft breweries they handle.

I would also suggest the beer PIF, however if you can't find any good retailers around you it would be hard to send your end.

Not sure if any of these will help you but:

http://www.superpages.com/yellowpages/C-Liquor+Stores/S-LA/T-Monroe/
I would also suggest the beer PIF, however if you can't find any good retailers around you it would be hard to send your end.

Yeah I would not suggest the PIF till he gains more knowledge of what's out there and what's good/not good.

I read all 47 pages if the PIF (not gonna be ready for that anytime soon). Would one or some of you guys on the coast be willing to ship some this way for cash? Maybe start a newbie beer trade?

Shoot me a PM, and I can get some west coast selections out your way.

Thanks for the help so far guys. I went back to the local shop and picked up 4 beers. #1. Santa's Butt winter Porter. #2 Missing Elf Double Bock. 3# Rogue Chocolate Stout. #4. Rogue Santa's private reserve ale. Quick question on storage should I leave these refrigerated since I bought them that way?

I would suggest keeping them chilled, if that is the way you bought them. Beer usually doesn't like getting cold, then warm (room temp), then cold again. Or that has been my experience in the past.

Just finished the Rogue Chocolate Stout and man the chocolate flavor really stands out a very good beer. Wondering if I have time for another. Work at AM. :(

I would suggest keeping them chilled, if that is the way you bought them. Beer usually doesn't like getting cold, then warm (room temp), then cold again. Or that has been my experience in the past.

From the things I've read this is a common myth. Do you think a beer is kept the same temperature the entire time from the brewery to the distributor to the store to you? I will say that big temperature swings are to be avoided as much as possible though. Don't leave a beer in your car to freeze or during the summer when it's hot but you can store a beer at room temp if it's been in a fridge.

From the things I've read this is a common myth. Do you think a beer is kept the same temperature the entire time from the brewery to the distributor to the store to you? I will say that big temperature swings are to be avoided as much as possible though. Don't leave a beer in your car to freeze or during the summer when it's hot but you can store a beer at room temp if it's been in a fridge.

I am sure that all would be ok with taking beer from cold to room temp and back to cold. But with all of the temp changes that a beer goes through from brewing to bottling, to storing, shipping, etc, to your house, I just don't take the chance.

My personal rule is that if a beer is cold, it goes right into the fridge when I get home; if it's at room temp when I buy it, it will stay that was until I get ready to drink.