• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Toy!

Swissy

Livin' the retired life!
Well...
it finally happened! My 5+ year old system finally puked out on me. My poor old P4 1.8 died a horrible, squeaky, smokey death. Not sure what went up in smoke, but it was pretty funny. Cats still have not been seen since! :laugh: The smoke alarms going off kinda freaked out the dogs as well... There was smoke (no fire thank goodness... I woulda had to call the guys on my day off! :laugh: ), there was a LOUD sound, and then... SILENCE. Nothing... nada... zip... zero... zilch. Not the power supply.. tested that. I get a series of beeps on the motherboard, but the manual and online help cannot determine the code of the beeps represent. Now, some may recall a chat session here where I was 'hoping' to replace my monitor... sadly, it's still alive! Damn thing just will NOT die. But this thing died without my help... HONEST!

So anyways, after a debate session with the Wifely Unit©, I wanted to just live on this trusty laptop, and save our $$$ for the upcoming fishing boat (you all are coming up in 2007 to go fishing, right?!?). Well, call Ripley's Believe It Or Not, because she told me if I didn't order the parts, she would and she has no idea what she's doing!

So... I gots me one HECK of a system coming!! She told me to do it, and do it right-

DFI LanParty nForce4 SLI-DR Expert motherboard
AMD 4400+ ATHLON X2 cpu
7800GT 256Mb video card(future SLI mode...)
OCZ 520W powersupply (SLI certified)
2 Gigs OCZ High Performance RAM
2x 80Gb Hitachi SATA2 3.0gb drives in RAID array (Operating System)
2x 250Gb Hitachi SATA2 3.0gb drives in RAID array (Games Storage)
WATER COOLING!!

I luv my wife :love: (But I'm still getting the boat!!!!)

If I'm absent from the board for awhile, it's most likey because A) I'm trying to put everything together and I'm having troubles (The LanParty boards are awesome for gaming but can be a bear to setup) or HOPEFULLY it's B) I'm trying all my games out at 1600x1200 resolution!!

:cool:

AWESOME !!!!

even though it is all Latin to me.... sounds great anyway

Also might wanna keep that wife around.... definitely a keeper... LOL

Nice system! :thumbs:

I'm waiting on the next gen AMDs before I upgrade :cool:

Thats awesome, I'll upgrade in a few years. Are you building it yourself?

Sounds like a screamer! Who's doing the water cooling?

Sweet system!! About every 2 yrs I upgrade, and I am getting a serious bug to do it now after reading your post!! :whistling:

nope... no joke on the water cooling. It's gotten pretty damn cheap, allows for some serious overclocking and is much, much quieter. I've wanted to do it for some time, but thought it was pretty extreme and cost prohibitive. Now there are all in one kits everywhere, and you can get specialized parts for brand specific motherboards and components.

I've already talked to a couple of people about it, and the setup I choose will allow a couple of jumps in speed with everything cooled right and tweaked.

When I add another video card and setup the SLI, I'm hoping for one screaming machine!! I've never been able to finish FarCry, since the game got so jerky once the game went underground and indoors. I can't WAIT to get back into it... one of my fav games. Besides, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter is coming out the end of March and I wanna be READY!

Of course maybe the O/C'ing was led to the demise of my now defunct system... :( I had the little 1.8 overclocked and running at 2.53! But 5 years is enough for me!!

Onward and upward... :thumbs:

Man, I need a new system and new monitors badly. Maybe my income tax refund will go to something good this year...

Awwwww, man. You suck farts outta dead pelicans, Jim. Except in a bad way.

I so want to upgrade to a photoshop killin' dual-core Athlon machine...but so many projects and so little cash. As far as monitors go, I'm still waitin' for the prices to fall on wide screen LCDs with 10-bit (or better) gamma correction.

Nice system, Swissy. Even puts my Shuttle to shame!

Get ready for the Swat4 expansion. :thumbs:

Hehehehe.. pre-ordered the SWAT4 xpansion, and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter... I'm stoked! Can't wait... :thumbs:

That, and waiting for Dell's new 24" LCD... not 10bit but supposedly 8. Good enough for me... ;)

Swissy said:
nope... no joke on the water cooling. It's gotten pretty damn cheap, allows for some serious overclocking and is much, much quieter. I've wanted to do it for some time, but thought it was pretty extreme and cost prohibitive. Now there are all in one kits everywhere, and you can get specialized parts for brand specific motherboards and components.
[snapback]293868[/snapback]​
Congrats on the new system!! I had my PC water cooled for the last two years w/ an Arctic Cooler, and just got sick of having to refill the damn reservor all the time. I used distilled water and there were still mineral deposits building up in there. Finally I tore it out and put in a Zalman's super quiet fan ... ah .. no more hassle. :) I figure messing w/ my humidibeads is enough for me. :D

But silence is golden; that was my favorite part. I didn't even care that much about the overclocking. I also swapped out all the fans for larger slower rotating fans, and a powersupply that had an adjustable fan speed. Now my wife has a tough time telling whether the comuter is on or not. :thumbs:

Enjoy Bud!
- C