• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbee question- What makes the Torpedo so popular?

bebop86

Hey guys-In looking at the reviews on Top 25 it seems that most people like the torpedo size the most- what is it about the torpedo that makes it so popular? thanks

The popular answer is that the torpedo shape funnels the smoke, and therefor the flavor, of the cigar into your mouth and you can "aim" it at the more sensitive areas of your palette. Personally, I like them only if that vitola tastes best, but usually prefer corona, robusto or lancero.

Actually, they say only the most experienced cigar rollers can roll the torpedo, so they are actually rolled the best. Hence, making them the most preferred (and consistent I´m told).

Because they look cool! :cool: The reason I love them is they offer the complex cool smoke of a nice fat ring gauge without breaking your jaw in the process.

lucasbuck, that's the reason I like them as well. they are easy to smoke and provide to format for that fat ring guage. Cooler smoke ect...

Actually, they say only the most experienced cigar rollers can roll the torpedo, so they are actually rolled the best. Hence, making them the most preferred (and consistent I´m told).

I agree with this. I think the reason so many people prefer it, besides the fact that they look cool :D , is because they are supposed to be rolled by the more experienced rollers. Therefore, you have less of a chance to get one that is too tight or too loose.

I also like the fact that you can cut them however big you like.

Brandon

Consistency imo, there are quiet a few draw whores out there like myself that may buy them and cut the torp completely off. The better the draw and constancy the better the cigar imo. Though I do also like a lancero.

We saw this man finishing the wrappers on torpedo shaped cigars at El Credito a few weeks back. These were natual wrapper La Gloria Cubana being made that day. It appeared that the best, most experienced rollers were in fact the ones working on the torpedo. Note the stack of rolled cigars ready to be taken to the humidor for aging.

RollingCigars0001.jpg

Is there an optimal point to cut at on these shapes?
Go with the angle cut with the opening pointing up to your pallette. I like torps because if I smoke one it means I am settled down for a while, they don't smoke fast.

I have been smoking a lot more PC's lately but to sit down with a nice torp with liquid...yeah.

I also have heard that the cigar companies once used their top tobacco for this vitola. Not sure if that is still true today. Can anyone verify this??

I certainly like the 3000 Padron better than the 6000.

YMMV of course.

What makes the Torpedo so popular?

Well, first off, Top25 is a LOSER site so don't draw conclusions from anything you see there.

They're not any more "popular" than a regular parejo.

Personally I can't stand torpedos.

I know that when I started to get into cigars that I like torps because they were "prettier" than other shapes and sizes. Since then I have found that in some brands they are better and therefore preferable but in others not so much. I find myself smoking less of them than ever lately though, just not into the large gauge and length on most occasions.

CYG

Hmm, well I do want to say that torpedos and other "shaped" cigars look pretty. But, will agree with others that you can smoke a larger r.g. cigar with the smaller head. By my part, I cut the head at an angle, so as to still get a large opening.

I also like the fact that you can very much tailor the shape of the tip.