• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie Pipe Packs!

LilBastage

Meat is murder! Tasty, tasty murder.
Please let us know how it works out and feel free to ask any questions! :)

(If you'd like a pack look HERE.)

Super Sweet, I am thinking about getting back into my pipe as well

Tim

PM Sent. I've been "lurking" here for a long time and just recently joined. This is a helluva nice gesture, fellas. I've dabbled with cigars, and hvae been researching pipes for a while. I'm anxious to get started and plan to get an order in to Frenchy soon. We've got some decent B&M stores around here, but they cater more to cigars that the pipe.

I got the "Newbie Pipe pack" today.
It really looks and smells great.

I hope to fire up a bowl in the next day or so.

Thanks again LilBastage and cuppajack.

I received my package as well :D

I want to thank Alan, and John, for helping to make my VERY FIRST pipe experience a very pleasurable on indeed!
Not only did this package include the necessary equipment and tobacco, but a very well written set of tips / hints / instructions. These were most welcome with my noob status as a pipe smoker!

I have since this afternoon, smoked a small amount from each blend, and found them both to be very enjoyable, the Haunted Bookstore blend is very nice. Paired up very well with my evening coffee. I was able to keep a bowl burning for about 15 minutes after a few relights.

I will by no means be dropping my beloved cigars anytime soon, but the pipe is sure to take some of the pressure off of my humidores.

Looks like you have more blood in the Pipe Room fellas :thumbs:

~Dennis~

Your item was delivered at 7:11 AM on February 23, 2008 in EAST HELENA, MT 59635

Looks like I should have gone into town and got the mail today. :(

I remember when I first got my pipe. The owner of the place was very helpful in getting me started, he said I should go with one of those cheap corn cob pipes which you only smoke four or five times before you throw it away. He also gave me 1/2oz of leaf I believe it was some homemade vanilla and cut the cost of it in half. He also gave me a bunch of tips and hints on packing the bowl, lighting and smoking the pipe. Ah great memories, took it home that day and had my first smoke ever :)

But nice plan, cuppajack and LilBastage. Great way to introduce people into the great world of pipe smoking.

Not only did this package include the necessary equipment and tobacco, but a very well written set of tips / hints / instructions. These were most welcome with my noob status as a pipe smoker!

~Dennis~

Last week I copied the contents of the newb packs being sent out and received my order from pipesandcigars.com on Thursday evening. Since that time I've smoked three or four bowls of the Butternut Burkley.

I'm having a helluva time keeping the bowl lit!

I've no doubt I'm doing something wrong because my experience thus far is that this is just far too much work when compared to firing up a cigar.

I've bookmarked the "Frank Method" on YouTube to watch. In the interim, Alan, would you post the tips & hints quoted above?

Thanks.

John

~Dennis~

Last week I copied the contents of the newb packs being sent out and received my order from pipesandcigars.com on Thursday evening. Since that time I've smoked three or four bowls of the Butternut Burkley.

I'm having a helluva time keeping the bowl lit!

I've no doubt I'm doing something wrong because my experience thus far is that this is just far too much work when compared to firing up a cigar.

I've bookmarked the "Frank Method" on YouTube to watch. In the interim, Alan, would you post the tips & hints quoted above?

Thanks.

John

Linky Not the same place, but good instructions. Good prices too.

Just went and picked up my package from the PO, the tobacco smells fantastic! Gonna head downstairs shortly and try it out. Thanks again guys!

Smoking my first bowl of Haunted Bookshop as I type. I really like the flavor, although it's a bit lighter than what I'm used to, I really like the little bit of sweetness it has.

I've had to relight it several times already though, which I know is to be expected. I think I didn't pack it tight enough, as there is almost no resistance.

Overall I'm really enjoying this, and will hopefully do a little better tomorrow with a bowl of the Butternut Burley.

Thanks a lot guys, I think I am hooked. Off to check the Boswell site...

I've been away for a couple of days, sorry for that.

You may need to let the Butternut Burley dry a bit before smoking. It's kind of wet sometimes.

I can put up the sheet I sent with the packages, but it is gleaned from info on this site and others.

Stick with it, fellas. Once you get the hang of it you'll be very glad you persevered. :)

I'm hooked...

Just ordered about 6 tins from pipesandcigars.com...

looks like another "SlipperY SlopE" :rolleyes:

Glad everyone seems to be enjoying the packs!

Once you are ready to order some tins let me highly recommend Frog Morton on the Town. This has become one of my favorite smokes, and I don't think it will disappoint!

Also, those cobs are good for MANY more smokes than "4 or 5!" I've been smoking the same cob off-and-on for over 10 years! I bit through the first stem, but loved it too much to pitch, so fitted it with another stem from a new cob!

On trick that helped me get through a bowl w/ minimal relights is to pack on the loose-side and to tamp very gently. The weight of the tamper should be enough to collapse the ash. You want to avoid compacting the tobacco any more after the initial pack.

Keep on puffin!

On trick that helped me get through a bowl w/ minimal relights is to pack on the loose-side and to tamp very gently. The weight of the tamper should be enough to collapse the ash. You want to avoid compacting the tobacco any more after the initial pack.

Keep on puffin!

How often do you tamp it?

Keep on puffin!

How often do you tamp it?
Not to speak for John, but if I tamp it's usually whenever the smoke volume decreases to the point that I feel like I'm not getting anything out of the pipe. Some blends I never have to tamp and some I have to tamp more than others. Every once in a while you'll get that bowl that was packed just right for that blend and it will burn right down to nothing without you even touching it. Sometimes you have to really babysit a bowl to get it to burn well.

I guess the short version is if you feel like the pipe is about to go out, tamp a little and see if it helps. It helps to sip at it a little while tamping, but don't go overboard or you'll get the bowl too hot.