• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie Pipe Packs!

I'm a satisfied noob, for sure :rolleyes:

I just ordered a Nording Traditional, and a Savinelli Semi-Churchwarden :thumbs:

along with about 6 different blends to stuff them with

slippery slope, indeed!

I have received my care package and have several bowls through that little corn cob beaut. I had taken pictures to post, but I can't get them off my phone. It says i sent them, but they never arrive. Anywho.

The package showed up with everthing need to start my new vice. Some items were self explanatory, some were not. No fear, there was a great set of instructions included also. I first read through the sheet, and them used it for reference as I was working through the smoke.

Beautiful corn cob pipe was pretty as can be. I had two choice of tobac to try: Haunted Bookshop and Butternut Burley. I started with the bookshop as it seemed a little dryer.

Packed and reloaded, and packed and reload till I thought the bowl was ready to go. Found out later I was maybe a bit too gentle in packing. I felt like the wizard of oz trying to pack, and light and tamp and light and read and pack and light and tamp :D Too many strings to pull. Alas, after a box of matches I finished my first bowl. Very fun to get things going.

I found that after a few bowls, I settled in to how this thing operated and could relax a bit. What a nice little hobby. New smoke flavors that I haven't been able to find in cigars. Very cool of John and Alan to set me up. Much appreciated.

I think Mr. Boswell and I are going to be good friends!!

It's great to hear your experiences. I'm glad you stuck with it and had some measure of success. As you progress, it keeps getting better and better.

This is the reason we sent the packs out. We wanted people to just give it a shot and stick with it for a bit. It sounds like you may have found a new way to enjoy tobacco. :)

It is refreshing to have an option when I open my coolerdor and nothing catches my eye! I now have 6 cobs, and 4 briars, and so far have about 3 pounds of tobbacco over about 16 different blends.

As for the Boswell thing.. better act fast if you want one that gets posted on their site, they sell VERY fast.
I have 2 Nordings, a Savinelli, and a Grabow freehand.

I think I've gotten considerably better at packing, since I'm having a lot fewer relights, at least untill I get near the bottom of the bowl. Is it normal to have to re-light a lot at the end?

Anyway, Thanks go out John and Alan for the hookup!

~Dennis

Yeah, relights near the end are normal.

Especially if you tend to be a 'wet' smoker (which I am, though I'm working on it.)

Keep on puffing guys!

I think I've gotten considerably better at packing, since I'm having a lot fewer relights, at least untill I get near the bottom of the bowl. Is it normal to have to re-light a lot at the end?

I don't know if it's normal but I certainly have that problem as well. For me, the bowl smokes great with one or two relights until the last 1/3 to 1/4 at the end. Then it's relight, smoke a few puffs, relight again. It's rather irritating and if I wasn't breaking my pipes in at the moment I would probably skip this part at the bottom. Good to hear I'm not the only one with this problem.

-mark

If you have a tamper tool that has a "draw poker" on it, then this is a good time to use it.

Reason being, as you tamp down the whole bowl, the botttom of the bowl generally can get over packed too tightly, and you will only torch the surface of the tobacco because there is no oxygen for the tobacco to actually breathe.

Solution: When I get this far down into a bowl, I will usually "tap" out the loose ash and loosen up the bottom "compacted" tobacco. With a gentle tamper, the tobacco is able to breathe.

Problem: If you salivate too much into the pipe and create a lot of "pipe juice" then you will find that the tobacco is too wet and simply impossible to light. If you have too much of this that has accumulated in the bottom of your bowl, don't waste your time attempting to relight it. Just dump the "dottle" and start over.

Yeah, relights near the end are normal.

Especially if you tend to be a 'wet' smoker (which I am, though I'm working on it.)

Keep on puffing guys!

Yeah, I suppose I'm a bit of a "wet" smoker, though I'm still breaking in the Nording pipes, they tend to smoke wetter than the cheapo Dr. Grabow, which smokes dry and very nice.

Relights don't bother me at all, I just set the pipe aside for a few minutes, get a fresh cup of coffee, pop in a new DVD, or whatever, pick it up, and start where I left off. Kinda makes for a nice break!

I don't pack my pipe too hard, I took the advice in the above thread that said it should have the same pressure as sucking through a soda straw, but I have problems keeping it lit. I get it lit, then it seems I have to keep puffing quite often to keep it going, which I then get tongue bite just to keep it lit, is this normal? How long can you usually go between draws? Am I going to the other extreme while in fear of overpacking, by underpacking?

I don't pack my pipe too hard, I took the advice in the above thread that said it should have the same pressure as sucking through a soda straw, but I have problems keeping it lit. I get it lit, then it seems I have to keep puffing quite often to keep it going, which I then get tongue bite just to keep it lit, is this normal? How long can you usually go between draws? Am I going to the other extreme while in fear of overpacking, by underpacking?

If you have so much air coming through that you aren't getting smoke, try tapping it a bit more.

There is not necessairly an "Exact" science, everyone smokes with their own method. However, if a pipe isn't seasoned and doesn't have enough natural carbon residue to concentrate the heat back into the bow of tobacco, then relighting is just part of the seasoning process.

If it is seasoned, pack it a little more. I usually tell others to make sure there is a nice packed ash on the top layer that will help the tobacco hold the heat and thus keep it lit longer.

As I said, everyone has their own way, but thats just how i do mine. I'd experiment with different methods however, to discover what works best for you.

I've been heading out for the company "smoke break". Needless to say it is only 10 minutes or so and the cigarettes are gone. So, I've been trying to pack a half bowl and go at it. Seems like it burns alright, but I get a lot of ash through the pipe and end up eating it.

Can you burn a half bowl? Or is it like pissing in the wind :D, not recommended?

Cheers,

Quade

Yes, you can pack a half bowl. I wouldn't suggest it while you are still seasoning a pipe. It is a little trickier for me to only pack a half bowl, but you can certainly do it.
B

I've been heading out for the company "smoke break". Needless to say it is only 10 minutes or so and the cigarettes are gone. So, I've been trying to pack a half bowl and go at it. Seems like it burns alright, but I get a lot of ash through the pipe and end up eating it.

Can you burn a half bowl? Or is it like pissing in the wind :D, not recommended?

Cheers,

Quade

Of course you can do half a bowl, that's the beauty of a pipe. You are probably "eating" it because you don't use a filter. Sometimes this happens, just dont draw on it so hard and suck up the ash through the bit.

Even though I did not get one of the official "noobie packs" I did get one of sorts from Jake. I'll go ahead and say my experiences thus far have been great! When my finances are in order a bit I'll probably pick up this Christmas Cookie everyone seems to like.

If any of you are on the edge about trying a pipe, I'd recommend trying it. :thumbs: