• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie question: Cigar names?

speedingpenguin

Okay, I just got back from buying a few more cigars to get me through the next few days (No humidor = Dont want to buy more cigars than I can get rid of over a day or two). On the forums, I see that theres a LOT more to a cigar name than I thought. But theres not THAT much information on the cigar band itself. As an example, I bought a Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur 1066 for $4.70 , but when I went to see what other people thought about the cigar here on the forums, it turns out that theres several varietys of this cigar. Other than "Gener - "Jose", there is nothing else on the cigar band. I also bought a few Arturo Fuente mini-cigars.... cigarillos I guess....about 5 inches long and 1/4 inch thick (Sorry, not really used to ring gauges and stuff). All it says on the band is "A. Fuente Gran Reserva". Thats exactly what the band on the first cigar I ever smoked said. I'm just curious to know where you get the other information about the cigars? Thanks,
-Chris

1. The box typically has all the information you need to look it up.

2. Look it up here.

Wilkey

tons of catalogs, books, reading websites...basically any reading material

Smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke.... :whistling:

Oh, yeah - and read!!! :thumbs:

Chris,

The length and ring gauge of the cigar usually give the different names.
For example. The HDM Excalibur 1066 you bought could be a merlin (5 1/4 X 50)
or a Dark Knight (5 3/4 X 54). I believe that is what you are asking if not sorry. The band will usually give away the brand of cigar it may not say but most are unique to type of cigar. for example the Hoyo product all have different bands. The size determines the name. If I am wrong an FOG will come and tell you not to listen to this damn newbie