• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie question ?

Beefcube

beeficus cubeicus
Hey ya'all, Has anybody ever brought back ISOM's just by driving back from Canada??
Do the borders check?
Do you need a passport to get back from Canada?
480 miles each way.
I did a search and it's something I think could be done quickly with a sick day or two, cough cough, from work. I've got a couple good friends, well maybe they ain't good for nothin good but dang crazy ol' country boys like me. ROAD TRIP!

Yes, It's illegal, but bands off and maybe tupperware or gallon ziplocks. Then they just become cigars of unknown origin.

according to customs, when it comes to cuban cigars,
if you come into the US w/ big bags of unlabeled cigars, they are suspect, and will prob. be taken.

even w/ non-Cuban cigars, there is still a limit as to the tobacco that can be brought into the U.S.

to ans your questions.

1. no

2. yes, they check most people at the border, not everyone, but a good mix.

3. as Canada is a diff. country, yes you need a pass. to get in and out of it.

now, if you want to go to canada for the fun, weather and people [who are cooler than we give them credit for], go ahead. if you are 'given' a cigar to smoke there, go ahead.

but I should say smuggling illegal substances back into the US is fineable. at least they would take them away and warn you, but fines of a few hundred/thousands have been given before. interesting idea, but it is a risk.

I've brought back a box almost every time I've ever driven to Canada. I don't know how much the USMC ID card has helped me get away with but I've never had any problems. YMMV.

.1) I'm pleading the 5th

.2) yes the border does a random chk, also anything bought in duty free shop at border is forwarded to inspectors at boarder chk point so they know what you have purchased at the shop , I brought back 2 cases of XXX and 2 box of dominican cigars so I was within the limit at the time

.3) If you are a US citizen all you need is Picture ID, SS card and birth certificate) altho a passport does make it easier
and as for the confiscation of cuban cigars at the boarder ? well Ive heard of people trying to bring back a # of boxes and were privledged to watch them be destroyed right in front of them how ever I know of a # of people have come threw with 2 or 3 singles with no problems it all depends on the inspectors mood.
Personaly I would just sit at any bar on St. Catherines St. smoke my cigars enjoy there beers and there women and wouldnt bother trying to bring anything back to the US but myself, a lot wiser and a little poorer

Just pick out a real good one and fire it up before you get to the border. I bet they won't take it away from you if you're smoking it :D

Beefcube said:
Yes, It's illegal, but bands off and maybe tupperware or gallon ziplocks. Then they just become cigars of unknown origin.
They do take the unbanded cigars as suspected cubans....My father tried this JUST ONCE with the bands off and stored them in zip lock bags and lost three boxes worth of good ISOMs at the boarder :angry:

The way I have seen it....Its easyer to fly back with them in your checked bagage ;)

AVB, I saw you reply to my saying Hi post. Yes we live close. I'm in Owings Mills, come down 83 to Hunt Valley then go right. I'd be in for the beers and a meeting if anything is going on soon, but would prefer some bourbon or scotch knowledge passed on. I saw the last Baltimore herf went down to snow. Have any new ones coming up????

Why don't you just buy them, wrap them up up and ship them to yourself. I think they use DHL in Canada