• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newcastle Brown Ale

SFG75

Master-passer
Went to Estes Park this weekend to visit my brother and his family from Texas. Rented a couple of cabins and played pictionary until god knows when. I don't drink all that much. Finances, kids, bills, and of course cigars kind of put a dent in that. At any rate, I had a New castle brew and thought it was rather so-so. I'd drink it again, but I'm not all that crazy about it, I'd stick to Coors or Coors light.

What do you all think? Ever try it? You can check out their site here.

While not the best ale out there (IMO Bishop's Finger or Double Bastard is) it is miles above anything by Coors. YMMV.

SFG75 said:
Went to Estes Park this weekend to visit my brother and his family from Texas. Rented a couple of cabins and played pictionary until god knows when. I don't drink all that much. Finances, kids, bills, and of course cigars kind of put a dent in that. At any rate, I had a New castle brew and thought it was rather so-so. I'd drink it again, but I'm not all that crazy about it, I'd stick to Coors or Coors light.

What do you all think? Ever try it? You can check out their site here.
I used to love Newcastle. But, I dated a girl once who tried and told me that she thought it tasted like bacon and, since then, I've never quite looked at it the same. She wasn't quite right to begin with, which had its pluses and minuses if you get my drift, but she still forever ruined Newcastle for me.

If you're going for UK ales, there really are no shortage to chose from that you should look into. One of my other favorites is Bass. Another, Tetleys. Some others to give you a list, anything in the list of Samuel Smith (especially their about-to-come-out Winter Welcome and their always good Nut Brown Ale). John Courage is another good UK beer that you might like as well.

There are really just tons and tons of very good UK beers to choose from when looking to try some out.

I am not too impressed with Newcastle either. It is of course better than the beer flavored water that makes up the majority of US Macrobreweries' product line.

I think there are many better beers coming out of England than Newcastle.
I have liked really everything made by Young's that I have been fortunate enough to drink. :D

-Matt-

BTW: Coors makes a very good beer under the faux micro brew brand Blue Moon. It is a Belgium style unfiltered wheat beer. While most of the offerings from macro breweries aren't up to par; ruling out a product because its made by Coors could deny you a beer that was the Gold medalist (white beer) at 1995 World Beer Championships, silver medalist (white beer) at 1996 and 1997 World Beer Championships. (Coors' Blue Moon won those honors)

txmatt said:
BTW: Coors makes a very good beer under the faux micro brew brand Blue Moon. It is a Belgium style unfiltered wheat beer. While most of the offerings from macro breweries aren't up to par; ruling out a product because its made by Coors could deny you a beer that was the Gold medalist (white beer) at 1995 World Beer Championships, silver medalist (white beer) at 1996 and 1997 World Beer Championships. (Coors' Blue Moon won those honors)
Thanks for the info I didn't know they made Blue Moon, I was thinking along the lines of their normal crap. Stuff like Coor's, Coor's Light, Killians, Zima, Keystone etc etc.

AVB said:
Thanks for the info I didn't know they made Blue Moon, I was thinking along the lines of their normal crap. Stuff like Coor's, Coor's Light, Killians, Zima, Keystone etc etc.
Coor's shouldn't be allowed to put the name Killian's on what they bottle. The original/real Killian's is distincly richer..

Not a big Newcastle fan, but if you want a really good British beer, try one of the following:

Fuller's ESB
Fuller's London Pride :love:
Theakston's Old Peculiar

Any one of them will turn you on to REAL British style beers. Newcastle is fine in a pinch, but I wouldn't choose it first.

Life is too short to drink crap beer.

Newcastle's okay but it sort of wattered down IMO.....

Now give me a good outmeal stout or Guiness and I'm happy!

Have quite a few places that serve Newcastle on tap here in Vegas, including my golf club. That makes me partial towards it, do like a nice pint of Guiness though.

Leebo8-9-8 said:
Newcastle's okay but it sort of wattered down IMO.....

Now give me a good outmeal stout or Guiness and I'm happy!
Samuel Smith makes an outstanding Oatmeal Stout. Guinness is delicious as well. Although, as far as Irish stouts go, although Guinness-heads may consider it blasphemous, I do like Beamish and Murphys too. Those are equally great. Beamish is a little harder to come by, especially on tap. Murphys is pretty much available everywhere.

PuroBrat said:
Guiness or Double Black from RedHook, they both go great with a BBF or an Opie
[snapback]138771[/snapback]​
Gotta love Guinness!. You wouldn't believe how much of a common sight that stuff is in Ireland. Around the early 1900s, union organizers could never get the workers to join the union. The company sent a free six pack home to all the workers every week. They knew how to take care of their own over there!.

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown is considerably better than Newcastle, which imo is better than Bass. Bass just seems too sweet to me. As far as stouts go, I agree Murphy's is pretty good, Samuel Smiths oatmeal stout is great!

Emo

Back