• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

"Not Your Father's Rootbeer" lowdown

bucfan444

Cigar Hoarding for the apocalypse
Ok so I'm really late on getting in on the craft beer craze and just started about 2 months ago. I've tried quite a few hunting for what I feel fits my flavor profile. Last weekend I tried "Not your father's root beer" and it was freaking love at first taste as I love root beer and booze. If they just added peanut butter it would be perfect.
My question to any experienced craft brew drinkers is, is this an "accepted" craft beer to hardcore craft beer aficionado's? Not that I need anyone's approval to enjoy what I enjoy, but I don't want to embarrass myself in front of some poker buddies who are heavy craft beer drinkers. My take so far is that its kind of a "trendy", "hipster" craft beer which may not be taken seriously in craft beer circles.
Anyone have input on this ?
I'm drinking the crap regardless like its bottled water, but don't want to be called out like I was drinking a "Zima" (if your old enough to remember those) at a bar or get strange looks.

I've yet to try it... And I'm not real anxious to either. It just doesn't seem like something I'd like. I will though, when I get the chance.

If you like it though... Drink up. Even if it was Zima... Life's too short to give a shyte what other people think.

I've had many. If you like root beer, you'll love it. It's best very cold, and gets a bit heavy/syrupy tasting if it warms. Not something I'll drink several of, but one or two are very nice.

I do like me some root beer. Haven't seen that brand but I have seen another called Hard Root Beer, I think. May just have to try one.

garrettbuckeye said:
If you like it though... Drink up. Even if it was Zima... Life's too short to give a shyte what other people think.

Pretty much this. (Not so sure about the Zima, though ??? )

Accepted? No idea. Don't really care. Sounds like you don't, either. However, if you would like to read some more about it:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/food-dining/2015/06/27/sips/i5RUfAU00EnRIbrcr9D9JL/story.html#

ETA: I consider myself a "heavy craft beer drinker," to use your words from the OP. I bust my friends' balls sometimes about their drink choices, but it usually has to do with lime flavored / lite / 'rita beers. Personally, if my friends who only dabble in macro beers were to step outside their comfort zone and try something like this, I'd be happy they're at least trying something new. I'd use it as an opportunity to introduce them to something else "sweeter," maybe a Scotch ale. But like cigars, it all boils down to [ingest] what you like.

As long as you like it that's all that matters. I usually search ratebeer.com just to see what other people have to say before I buy something new. If it got a 30% with 500 votes, I probably won't waste my money.

What ever happened to Zima anyways?
Beeradvocate.com is another site I like. Btw it looks like that beer got good reviews.

NYFRB is a spiced Ale(brewed in the gruit tradition, basically without hops) and I really enjoy it, so does my wife.  Is it a true craft beer?  I'd say so, since it's brewed by a small brewery in Chicago(Small Town Brewery), although it partnered with Pabst for distro in 30 states now. 

There are 10% and a 19% versions out there and supposedly they're working on a Cream Soda.  I've seen many people making root beer floats out of this.  I've yet to try it, but it sounds awesome.  One lady at a liquor in town, said she puts whipped cream vodka in hers, making it taste like a root beer float without the ice cream.

I had some, and while it was very tasty, I couldn't drink the whole thing, though that could've been just my mood at the time as I'm a fan of big craft beers.  

I definitely want to give it a try as a rootbeer float.  

Bfreebern, wife and I made floats with them. Mason jar, philly vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. Good sheet.

I have a few 6 packs of it in the fridge right now.  My wife really likes it, I don't drink it that much only because I'm not big on root beer.

It does make a pretty killer float though.

If like to try it, but haven't jumped on the chance yet. Is say it counts as a craft brew. It's not just flavoring dumped in a malt liquor, right?

If it's on untapd, it counts. :)

Thanks gentlemen.
The float idea from here was concocted today at my house and is ridiculously good.
The beer rating sites Rod mentioned are excellent for narrowing down my search for other craft beers and I've concluded I miss Zima.

Just had some the other night, I personally could not get through a whole bottle... It was like a sugar bomb.  Not my thing.

Back when I was a Tween I remember busting my brothers chops when he was drinking Zima all the while I had a Natty lite in hand :0

Drink what you like who cares what others think.

Fuggin' people have no respect for the Reinhetsgebot. Shame, shame, shame.

Doc