• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

nut brown ales

StogieSteve

I was hoping someone could recommend a few nut brown ales for me. I want to try them after school is over on the 17th.

-Steven

Even though it gets "nationwide distribution" Leinenkugel used to make a good brown ale, and it's local to you in Wisconsin. I'm not sure if it was a seasonal or not. Also, doing a search on "Nut brown ale +Wisconsin" I found this review on Beer Advocate for South Shore Brewing: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/787/3161

I haven't tried either of these two, but like Surfish.Dave said, Newcastle and Sam Smith are always winners.

The South Shore Nut Brown is alright. It reminds me quite a bit of Newcastle, but with a little more flavor and a touch less bitterness (neither is very bitter). I've been known to sit in a local establishment and down several in an evening. It's a pretty easy drinker and easy to find on tap here. I've never had it in the bottle. Let it get to room temp or close for the most flavor. I doubt you'd have much trouble finding it in the Milwaukee area.

I need to drink more examples of this style. I don't think I've had more than 3 or 4 different offerings.

Even though it gets "nationwide distribution" Leinenkugel used to make a good brown ale, and it's local to you in Wisconsin. I'm not sure if it was a seasonal or not.

This is my favorite. It's called Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown Ale.

Samuel Smiths, all the way. That and Rogue Hazelnut Nectar.

I like Southern Pecan, but it is not distributed outside MS.

If you can get a growler fill, I recommend Alesmith Nautical Nut Brown Ale ... I wish they had this one on the shelves, one of the best!

Even though it gets "nationwide distribution" Leinenkugel used to make a good brown ale, and it's local to you in Wisconsin. I'm not sure if it was a seasonal or not.

I had this beer on Saturday on tap. It was cloyingly sweet, almost cola sweet.

This beer could stand a bit more body, too. It was pretty thin.

Maybe it was different in years past? Maybe I just got a bad pull from the tap...

I had this beer on Saturday on tap. It was cloyingly sweet, almost cola sweet.

This beer could stand a bit more body, too. It was pretty thin.

Maybe it was different in years past? Maybe I just got a bad pull from the tap...

I had a bottle of this last night and thought it was fine. I would have to agree that the body was kinda light, but it went fine with my turkey sandwich and fries. I don't think it would pair particularly well with a heavier meal. My wife liked it so I can add it to the small list of beers she likes.

I'm going to have to put up another vote for the Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. Absolutely kick ass brown ale, I'd buy a keg if I could afford it! :D

Hate to sound like a broken record but Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale is simply the best out there. If you want to fly into Kansas City you can cruise down to McCoy's restaurant/brewery and get some "Hog Pound Brown". Awesome stuff, but I think it would be considerably easier and cheaper to just mosey on down to your local liquor store and grab a few Sammy Smith's :D Enjoy!