• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Official Spring Training Thread

My team is just kickin' ass and takin no names this year. They are working hard and preparing to send the Red Sux on another 80-90 year drought...

Go Yankees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen :thumbs: Seriously, my nephew is 6 and has never seen the Yanks win the series. That will end this year.

I just noticed that NESN (New England Sports Network) is carrying live coverage of spring training, all 36 days. Yesterday I got to watch Francona hit grounders and fungos, Manny stretching, Big Poppy take batting practice and random shots of skylarking in the outfield. I'm a baseball fan and all, but isn't this taking things just a bit too far? I suspect this is the only market that's doing this. God, we're insane here in N.E.

There's very little to no controversy or drama this year in the Red Sox camp for a change. 23 of 25 of last years team have returned. The only issue is who will be the starting center fielder.

Doc.

I just noticed that NESN (New England Sports Network) is carrying live coverage of spring training, all 36 days. Yesterday I got to watch Francona hit grounders and fungos, Manny stretching, Big Poppy take batting practice and random shots of skylarking in the outfield. I'm a baseball fan and all, but isn't this taking things just a bit too far? I suspect this is the only market that's doing this. God, we're insane here in N.E.

There's very little to no controversy or drama this year in the Red Sox camp for a change. 23 of 25 of last years team have returned. The only issue is who will be the starting center fielder.

Doc.
Don't forget about who"s going to take Shills spot in the rotation. Little controversy about team Dr reports and his own Dr report. Like to see them pick up another veteran starter. I'm not to worried though.

I'm excited about my Braves this year. The Mets and Phils seem to think it's only a two team race in the East this year. They're in for a rude awakening. Francoeur added 15 lbs. of muscle by working out all winter (the way it should be done!) and is killing the ball this spring. Teixiera is in a contract year and should put up huge numbers. Hampton's stuff is supposedly breaking 8-10 inches this spring, and if he can stay healthy (which is a pretty sizable "if" to understate things) he'll be better than any #4 starter in the National League.

I know the Mets fans are excited about Johan, as well they should be, but Johan only gets the ball every fifth day. If you think he's going to win the division by himself, you're delusional. You better hope your lineup doesn't show it's age (Delgado, Alou...I'm looking in your direction)

I can't wait for the season to start!

Only one more week then we can all start watching some spring training games.

Fish

I think this may be the year that I come back to baseball. I haven't watched a game since the last strike and the steroids debacle has kept me away for the most part. I followed the standings and such every once in awhile but not daily like I used to. I almost came back when the White Sox won it a couple of years ago playing "small ball" but then the Barry Bonds thing turned me away again. All of this baseball talk has made me realize that I am anxious for the season to start and that I am ready to let bygones be bygones and get back to my love of the game. Go Phillies!!!!

First pitch of batting practice. Awesome. It's not like he was trying to get Pujols out in a crucial game. It's batting practice fer chissakes.

Crap always happens in spring training. You think everyone is healthy and then the unexpected happens.

At least he'll be good to go for the majority of the season. Unlike Ken Griffey Jr.'s patented "Get 5 or 6 games under my belt before incurring a season ending injury" syndrome. How many years did that happen? He's the Grant Hill of baseball.

The main changes to the Brewers was the signing of Mike Cameron a 3 time gold glover in center which allows Bill Hall to return to the infield at 3rd base and move Ryan Braun to Left field. This move will strengthen the defence at both 3rd and center. We will also have Braun the full year. Braun, last year's rookie of the year, played in only 113 games because he spent the first 2 months in the minors. Even with the short year he hit .324 with 34 hrs and 97 rbi's (and a league leading slug % of .634) Over the whole year that would have been 46 and 132.

With Braun, Fielder, Hardy, Hart, Hall, Weeks, there isn't a stronger young group of players in either league.

I see playoffs and maybe a World Series appearance this year!

BrewCrew will be tough. They have a better line up than their WS team in the early 80s. Hello Wallbangers version 2.0.

After trying to be a fan for the last 35 years, I can't bring myself to support the Rangers anymore. Hicks (owner) should be banned from owning any sports teams. He's no more interested in winning than Michael Jackson is interested in the female gender. Then to make matters worse, he's hired Nolan Ryan as President of baseball operations. Don't get me wrong here, I've met Nolan more than once and he IS the man. Somehow, Hicks peered into his crystal ball, pondered who could he bring onboard (not a lead starting active pitcher mind-you) and keep some of the folks who are leaving the ranks of "fans". I want to be a fan, but can't do it anymore.

I hear you Horse. Although I'm not real familiar with the Rangers specifically, I feel that airhead owners are as much to blame (maybe even more so) for many fans wandering away from the game.

All you East Coasters, BBBBWWWWHHHAAAHHHAAA! The Cubs will kick some ass and take names, of course everyone here knows what they did today. GO CUBS! :laugh: :D

Ryan Howard broke the bank for my Phillies. I just hope he doesn't follow the trend of earning a big paycheck and then coasting until his current contract is up. We need him to mash at this year. Look out Mets!!!

10 large is a huge number, since he only made $900K last year. I can see him losing his focus, with that much money coming in.

You sure called this one Anthony. As of today he is hitting a whopping .187!!! For comparison, Cole Hamels, a pitcher on the Phillies, is hitting .320. Great thing this arbitration.